Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Better bet is to merge when youre notified and there's still space to get over.
The problem with that is traffic is not utilizing the full capacity of the road and an artificial one-lane road is being created earlier than necessary. The problem arises when people at the merge, due to some form of elementary school based fairness issue, don't know how to or want to take turns. I think it makes a difference whether traffic is backed up or not.

Often, there are even signs that read, "Use Both Lanes To the Merge Point", or something to that effect.

This is from the US Dept. of Transportation's website:

[CENTER]Scenario 1:
In at-speed, or nearly free-flow conditions, it is best to merge upstream of the constriction
[/CENTER]
Motorists in the thru-lane: Allow gaps. By allowing gaps you allow the merging vehicle the opportunity to adjust his/her speed to fill a gap.
Motorists in the dropped lane: Keep up speed and fill gaps at-speed. Use the dropped lane as an acceleration lane; i.e., as an opportunity to match speed with upstream traffic and merge at-speed at earliest and best opportunity.
Benefits: Traffic is safest when all vehicles travel at or near the same speed.
Potential pitfalls: 1) When a vehicle in the dropped lane can't or won't move into the through lane in time, then the dropped lane ends, forcing the vehicle to suddenly slow or stop. This will invariably cause a dangerous ripple as the stopped vehicle now must join moving traffic from nearly a dead stop; at risk of causing a through vehicle to slow to allow it in. 2) Pitfall #1 above also has the potential to cause following vehicles to queue behind the "stopped" vehicle due to an increasingly shortening merge lane. Motorists now forced to slow in the dropped lane become anxious to merge and may cause further ripples. If not allowed to remediate itself, pitfall #2 will morph into "Scenario 2" below. 3) Motorists in the thru lane won't yield (usually by way of speeding up).
Bottom line: Relax. Allow motorists to merge at-speed or fill gaps as opportunity allows.

[CENTER]Scenario 2:
In heavy congestion (stop-and-go conditions) it is more efficient to fill both lanes and zipper-merge at the point of constriction
[/CENTER]
Benefits: Drivers experience less stress when they understand that each in-turn will have a chance to get past the point of constriction. The zipper merge is orderly and fair.
Potential pitfalls: 1) Queue jumping. This can occur in a number of ways; a) by bypassing cars in line, the "jumper" infuriates others because he is out of turn; or b) by having a second or third vehicle try to fill a single gap, this frustrates altruistic motorists who now feel they are being taken advantage of. 2) Lane blocking. This occurs when a motorist in the continuous lane fails to fairly permit his neighbor to zipper ahead. 3) Line jumping back and forth, as it recalls the old axiom "the other line is always moving fastest." This only serves to disrupt the continuity of the merge ahead.
Bottom line: Remain orderly and fair. Do not line jump.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Potential pitfalls: 1) Queue jumping. This can occur in a number of ways; a) by bypassing cars in line, the "jumper" infuriates others because he is out of turn; or b) by having a second or third vehicle try to fill a single gap, this frustrates altruistic motorists who now feel they are being taken advantage of. 2) Lane blocking. This occurs when a motorist in the continuous lane fails to fairly permit his neighbor to zipper ahead. 3) Line jumping back and forth, as it recalls the old axiom "the other line is always moving fastest." This only serves to disrupt the continuity of the merge ahead.
Bottom line: Remain orderly and fair. Do not line jump.
From your link

Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
I don't let them in, so long as I am not jeopardising my own safety to do so.

My favorite is when they actually honk at me because I'm not letting them cut in line. I happily let them know where the back of the line is.

Bottom line - if you're all over the hatched area (ie the place you're not supposed to be) and you hit me, who's in the correct lane, guess who the cop is going to ticket?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:32 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
The problem with that is traffic is not utilizing the full capacity of the road and an artificial one-lane road is being created earlier than necessary. The problem arises when people at the merge, due to some form of elementary school based fairness issue, don't know how to or want to take turns. I think it makes a difference whether traffic is backed up or not.
Again, it ONLY works if everyone is already doing the same speed AND everyone is in simuilar sized vehicles. otherwise someone will HAVE to either speed up or slow down, and that ruins it. Whther anyone wants to merge properly or not.

And yeah, if you have even ONE person that just has to get in front of just one more car, then there's no way the merge will recover.

it's interesting how the DOT studies and site say it works best, when it's never worked anywhere in the US in the real world. All they'd have to do is watch it for an hour to know that. So the studies are just flawed math at work, not realistic at all.

For example: in this scenario, with the little blue cars and SUVs, and a semi and bus, the zipper automatically fails. And the people in the lane that is vanishing have no where to go.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you allow rude motorists to cut the queue?-zipperfail.jpg  

Old 12-13-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
From your link
Right. I never said somebody should "line jump". Take turns.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM

122 posts, read 372,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
I don't let them in, so long as I am not jeopardising my own safety to do so.

My favorite is when they actually honk at me because I'm not letting them cut in line. I happily let them know where the back of the line is.

Bottom line - if you're all over the hatched area (ie the place you're not supposed to be) and you hit me, who's in the correct lane, guess who the cop is going to ticket?
I really try not to let them in, especially if they are driving an expensive car, ie: Mercedez, BMW, Audi, Caddy, Lincoln or any SUV. They can wait since they seem to think the rules of the don't apply to them.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Again, it ONLY works if everyone is already doing the same speed AND everyone is in simuilar sized vehicles. otherwise someone will HAVE to either speed up or slow down, and that ruins it. Whther anyone wants to merge properly or not.

And yeah, if you have even ONE person that just has to get in front of just one more car, then there's no way the merge will recover.

it's interesting how the DOT studies and site say it works best, when it's never worked anywhere in the US in the real world. All they'd have to do is watch it for an hour to know that. So the studies are just flawed math at work, not realistic at all.

For example: in this scenario, with the little blue cars and SUVs, and a semi and bus, the zipper automatically fails. And the people in the lane that is vanishing have no where to go.
That is a problem. People don't or aren't willing to take turns. I still don't see how, if traffic is crawling along at 5 mph, how it helps to sit in a long line of traffic when there is another lane to use. That's just stupidity and if you want to sit in that line that's up to you. It doesn't matter around here anyhow, because people fill both lanes to the merge point and take turns at the merge. It usually isn't an issue.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

122 posts, read 372,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That is a problem. People don't or aren't willing to take turns. I still don't see how, if traffic is crawling along at 5 mph, how it helps to sit in a long line of traffic when there is another lane to use. That's just stupidity and if you want to sit in that line that's up to you. It doesn't matter around here anyhow, because people fill both lanes to the merge point and take turns at the merge. It usually isn't an issue.
tgbwc,
I would not let you in,
You know your lane is shut down and you choose to go around eveyone else in the line because you "know" someone will let you in. Your style of driving is what causes road rage. Obviously, your "style" of driving is of the kind that irritates other drivers around you and you don't care. How selfish!! Kind of a fish eye on your life and self image.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

Why wouldn't the first car at the cones merge in behind the 2nd car on the right? Then the next car on the left would merge in between the 3rd car and the truck. The 3rd car would creep up and merge between the truck and the bus and so on...
Again, this is assuming that traffic is slow or at a crawl. If traffic is moving faster, then yes you wouldn't need to wait until lane's end.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you allow rude motorists to cut the queue?-zipperfail.jpg  

Old 12-13-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
tgbwc,
I would not let you in,
You know your lane is shut down and you choose to go around eveyone else in the line because you "know" someone will let you in. Your style of driving is what causes road rage. Obviously, your "style" of driving is of the kind that irritates other drivers around you and you don't care. How selfish!! Kind of a fish eye on your life and self image.
I'm not saying that I drive 55mph past people who are backed up and then squeeze in at the end. I don't think I even have the opportunity to do so. Seriously. How often do you come across an instance where one lane is backed up and the lane that is ending is clear? If traffic is backed up it is usually both lanes to the merge point. There is a reason why signs read "USE BOTH LANES TO MERGE POINT". Have you really been in an instance when one lane was backed up because a lane was ending and the other lane was clear? If so, then I just can't understand while people would sit in a line of traffic for a 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or more unless they weren't used to driving in heavy traffic. That's just dumb.

Last edited by tgbwc; 12-13-2010 at 06:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive