Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:41 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times

Advertisements

You are a man with a small package, right?
Seriously, my DH has the same attitude and it drives me nuts how he won't let anyone in. Like it matters. It's like a male butt sniffing thing.
I let anyone in who wants in, and everyone always lets me in, too. Karma's a *****.
In my heart of hearts, every so often, I get a bit of pleasure when truck drivers block the lane to keep others from doing this, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So the person cutting into a long line of traffic is not a dick???
Nobody said they weren't, but the idea is to act like an adult and just let them in. To get upset about something so trivial is a waste of time and energy. Go right ahead in front of me, knock yourself out, however be warned there will always be somebody in front of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What then is the point of anyone but the first few cars staying in line,why not simply pull round the car in front,zoom up to the head of the line and put your signal on and get in?
Because most people don't zoom up like that, so it's irrelevant.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:54 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Nobody said they weren't, but the idea is to act like an adult and just let them in. To get upset about something so trivial is a waste of time and energy. Go right ahead in front of me, knock yourself out, however be warned there will always be somebody in front of you.
So what is the point of them zooming in front of you???

Quote:
Because most people don't zoom up like that, so it's irrelevant.
You mustn't drive much,I regularly drive interstates and it is that way...

Old 12-13-2010, 09:24 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,750,166 times
Here the cutting in happens most often at exits or where the road splits. Not where lanes simply merge. They act like they're going to go right past the exit until the absolute last minute then pull over the lines to zip in to the front of the line that just sat the last 10 minutes in the correct lane. We also have a major problem with people riding the shoulder to get ahead, and cops who are more concerned with how fresh their donut is.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:36 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,832,525 times
I've had people do that to me before, not all the time. You wonder where they get their nerves...

There are just times when I guess it's better for all to let them have their stupid way. Getting involved in road rage isn't really worth it. You must stay calm when you're driving (at least I try to anyway).

The kinds of drivers I hate: the one who tries to go around me and cut me off when I'm going the speed limit: I'll often speed up so they can't get over when that happens, depends on what kind of mood I'm in. I also hate the ones who cut in front of me when I am trying to stay a car length behind someone else. I hate people like that. It's hard not to lean on my horn and let it out!

And of course the ones who do that but turn their blinker on at the last friggin' second to let you know they're coming over! I could go on and on but I won't...

Old 12-13-2010, 10:02 PM

410 posts, read 634,525 times
I do allow these types of people to overtake and such
But to avoid being pissed off, I always just try to think.... perhaps the guy has an emergency, maybe his wife is having a baby, maybe someone is in the hospital. I don't know, but it could happen.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:49 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,822,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
if there is proper notice a mile back that the left lane ahead is closed and the right lane is backed up account of people who dont feel they need to wait their turn and fly up the left lane and rudely force their way ahead of everyone my answer is to hold my place in the left lane even with where
i held in the right lane and surprize......the traffic starts flowing again. this really pisses off the rude drivers trying to screw the patient drivers but so what. my fear is someday one will shoot me from road rage.
no one is above the law
Then stop breaking the law. Traffic using the open lane is not breaking any law. You are though.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jksa09 View Post
tgbwc,
I would not let you in,
You know your lane is shut down and you choose to go around eveyone else in the line because you "know" someone will let you in. Your style of driving is what causes road rage. Obviously, your "style" of driving is of the kind that irritates other drivers around you and you don't care. How selfish!! Kind of a fish eye on your life and self image.
I submit that their style of driving does not cause an already angry person to get mad. If you have anger problems see a psychologist.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Here the cutting in happens most often at exits or where the road splits. Not where lanes simply merge. They act like they're going to go right past the exit until the absolute last minute then pull over the lines to zip in to the front of the line that just sat the last 10 minutes in the correct lane. We also have a major problem with people riding the shoulder to get ahead, and cops who are more concerned with how fresh their donut is.
Now that is wrong! No one here, who advocates using the whole lane to the merge point, is defending the kind of behavior you mentioned. I hope.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:24 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
In my city there are a few off ramps that are the primary access to particular towns and neighborhoods, these ramps back up daily with a line of cars exiting, sometimes for quite a distance, and every single day many rude motorists forces his/her way in, like it is his right to do so. I was stuck in one of these yesterday and was appalled at the aggressiveness of a few vehicles doing this, actually making the other car have to move away to avoid contact. I was even more pissed at the cars correctly in the queue for allowing it, as if they felt they would somehow be at fault if contact were made.

I never would allow it, I'm right on the bumper of the car ahead of me and just ignore a car or truck trying to force me off the road just because they have their signal on, I wont move over an inch. Every single one of this idiots does this every day, its not like they accidently missed the off ramp, they know and they just count on wimps to let them in. I'm not talking about a high traffic situation where people need to merge on and off a road and it is a logical boy/girl sequence, I will absolutely follow that.

You are not required to let someone do this! It will completely be the fault of the other motorist trying to cut the queue- Hummer or not- don't do it!
You idiots know who you are. Make 'em sit on the side of the lane stuck behind a concrete median with their signal on helplessly and yelling at us for being mean by not letting them get their way!? Take pictures or quickly tape the other car trying to force his way in with your mobile for evidence.

I'm the guy who will always stop a car length or more to allow someone out of a lot or side street as I approach traffic at a stop light, and if you are signaling to change lanes I'll adjust my speed to allow you to do so. But don't push it!
Both of my cars are newer and one in particular is fairly expensive and smaller...if some guy comes along in a old car with dents and rust spots etc. then we all know he is getting in if he wants to. Most likely they have no insurance and will drive off leaving me spending most of my day filling out reports and paying my dedcutibles. Basically, I rest assured that the person is an a-hole and that they must act that way in other facets of their life.

However, if someone does it and then later on I get the opportunity to box them into a lane for a mile or two.....

I actually had someone drive like a complete jerk around me once...heavy tailgating even though there was a car right in front of me and I had nowhere to go. Turned out they worked at the same company as me and so I parked right next to them as they got out of their car and headed into work. You could tell they were totally embarassed, I didn't say a word, it was hillarious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive