Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 09:40 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Why wouldn't the first car at the cones merge in behind the 2nd car on the right? Then the next car on the left would merge in between the 3rd car and the truck. The 3rd car would creep up and merge between the truck and the bus and so on...
Again, this is assuming that traffic is slow or at a crawl. If traffic is moving faster, then yes you wouldn't need to wait until lane's end.
That's the point. If traffic is moving at highway speed, then you move over while you have a chance and don't do as the DOT says and wait to the end of the lane and zipper. Trying to DO that is what causes the failure and the slowdown/backup.

The issue is we get slowdowns AT that mergepoint BECAUSE peopel wait until the last moment to get over and then they dont'ahve room and either cut somone off causing THEM to slam on their brakes, starting the backup, or they have to stop and wait until they get a place to merge (i.e. the guys beside the semi in my sketch) causing THAT lane to slow down, and starting the backup.

If traffic is already moving at a crawl, then the zipper merge has already failed, as the point is to keep from having the backup to start with.

And yes, if traffic is slowed to a crawl, and you go around someone merging to rush up to the front of the line, you ARE the dick trying to get ahead of all the people already waiting to get through that choke point. "Oh, but that lane is open, so why not use it?" Same logic as walking past a line of people waiting on the sidewalk to get into a theater or restaurant. I mean, the rest of the sidewalk is clear so why SHOULDN'T you use it to get to the head of the line? Why is the person already at the head of the line, who's been waiting there, a dick for not letting you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 10:01 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
And yes, if traffic is slowed to a crawl, and you go around someone merging to rush up to the front of the line, you ARE the dick trying to get ahead of all the people already waiting to get through that choke point. "Oh, but that lane is open, so why not use it?" Same logic as walking past a line of people waiting on the sidewalk to get into a theater or restaurant. I mean, the rest of the sidewalk is clear so why SHOULDN'T you use it to get to the head of the line? Why is the person already at the head of the line, who's been waiting there, a dick for not letting you in?
That is my point to this,there seems little sense to wait in line if you are supposed to simply push in closer to the front...

Old 12-14-2010, 11:02 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,298,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That is my point to this,there seems little sense to wait in line if you are supposed to simply push in closer to the front...
Because it would be considered rude in every other situation with a queue. can't make it any simpler. Being in a car seems to make people MUCH more rude than they'd be while not in a car.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:04 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
Quote:
Because it would be considered rude in every other situation with a queue. can't make it any simpler. Being in a car seems to make people MUCH more rude than they'd be while not in a car.
Indeed. Not being readily exposed, it allows their true colors to shine through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_...eature=related

Last edited by PanTerra; 12-14-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 12-14-2010, 12:11 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
Quote:
Exactly. It says "I am much more important than you are." It's the same as when people are chronically late.

Old 12-14-2010, 12:19 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,428,032 times
If everyone drove like they were supposed, traffic would be a hundred times better. But they don't, and I see no reason to tack on 20-30 minutes to my drive simply to be polite.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:28 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,833,754 times
Yesterday I was running late and got cut off by some dude who made me stuck at a light. Yes I'm still mad about it lol.

Old 12-15-2010, 11:43 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
If everyone drove like they were supposed, traffic would be a hundred times better. But they don't, and I see no reason to tack on 20-30 minutes to my drive simply to be polite.
So....YOU are the problem.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:16 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,349,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So....YOU are the problem.
You both are.

You're both good examples of exactly why there's little or no flow of traffic in the US, there's just traffic.

The really idiotic thing is that you both end up getting home later because all you do with your actions is to create more stop/go traffic, instead of allowing things to flow and be smooth.

Hate the people who jump the line and cut in front, so you're glued to the car in front of you? Fine, but you're getting home slower than you would if people knew how to navigate a congested road.

Hate having to sit in line, and jump it only to squeeze in somewhere there wasn't really space in the first place? ...Well, read above.

Both actions are great examples of behavior portrayed by people who apparently like being stuck in traffic.

The only way to change the mentality of people driving on congested highways and streets, is to start with yourself. Realize that you can't change how other people drive, and concentrate on being a good driver, instead of thinking "me me me me me!!! I go home before everyone else!", and maybe, with time others will catch on to the idea of behaving like thinking beings. The self centered egoism that drives (no pun intended) most (it seems) US commuters is abhorrent and ironically, the reason the congestion became so gridlocked in the first place.

Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,690,945 times
Nope. If I'm unable to avoid areas like that entirely, I'll let this type (almost always thug-mobiles or pickup trucks) win their little game. I always assume that people who delight in little things like jumping ahead of traffic, probably don't have much else in their life that can be considered a "victory".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive