Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 AM
PDD PDD started this thread

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times

Advertisements

Because if you are an American born citizen raised in the most free society in the world and employed by a company that sells to Americans, your job depends on it. Plus it is your duty to support other American workers.

If your trying to market your companies services to Americans it's hypocritical for you to support foreign workers .
If you want to buy a foreign car that's OK as long as it's manufactured here in the USA.

If your a recent immigrant coming to America to work cheap in place of a laid off American you should also be buying American thankful that your still not living in some ghetto back in your country.

Americans should also be buying only made in America furniture because Americans were paid to build it.
You should also be buying American made clothes if you can find any (good luck with that)

Yes, Yes, I know most people are trying to get the most out of their dollar but when you support foreign workers you also now have to support unemployed Americans who were laid off because you bought foreign.

Yes , I also know that people on welfare are lazy do nothings but I also know that there was a time when they were employed doing menial tasks that most other American would not do because they were to good for manual labor.Those jobs are now in China, but hey it's a global economy and how's that working out for many Americans?

So if American cars and products are not good enough for you and cheaper foreign products are better perhaps American manufactures should bring over better foreign workers who can build it better and cheaper.

OMG, they're already doing that. That foreign family of ten that just moved into your laid off neighbor's home is here doing it cheaper.

BTW if only a BMW will do, buy one made in South Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 08:06 AM

16,665 posts, read 17,428,904 times
So does that mean that the same should apply to every other country in the World? Japan buys only Japanese, Europe buys only European- or perhaps break that down into the individual countries?

Should the same criteria apply to all other consumer goods?

Buy only American built white goods for example?

Let's carry this on maybe with food?

For the record when I moved to the States I did buy two American built vehicles but people do have a choice to do otherwise.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,131,933 times
How are you going to do that? Though we have 4 Fords, my Ranger has an engine made in Germany, a transmission made in France. It was only assembled in Tennessee. Our 2014 1.6 Escape ecoboost engine was built in England, while the 2.0 is built in Spain. Many of the parts of all cars US or otherwise are made in other countries including China. There is no such thing as an American Made car any more.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:14 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,468,905 times
Nah. I will stick with my car built in japan. You know why? Because it is my money and I can buy whatever I want.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:21 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,263,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Because if you are an American born citizen raised in the most free society in the world and employed by a company that sells to Americans, your job depends on it. Plus it is your duty to support other American workers.
What if you only buy used cars?

When you buy a used car from someone in America 100% of the proceeds initially stay in this country regardless of where the car was built.

Let's say I buy a used car that was built in a foreign country and made up of 100% foreign components. If the guy I buy it from uses all the proceeds from the sale to take a vacation to Colorado all of the money I spent stays in the US for at least one turn, and probably more.

But I could buy an American-built car made from the highest precentage of American-made components available, and if the guy I buy it from uses all of the proceeds to take a European vacation, none of the money stays here.

In which scenario did I support the US economy?

Old 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,154,953 times
Oh, FFS, not this again...

So what happens if the U.S. does not make an AWD hatchback/sedan with a high-performance turbo engine that I want? Do I need to "buy 'murrcan" and compromise on what I spend MY money on? Last I checked, the foundation of capitalism was freedom of choice. Sure, let's all of us buy cars we don't necessarily want just to "buy local". Russia has tried that for 70-some years and their auto industry is still about 30 years behind the curve. No thanks.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,826 times
Ha, ha, ha.

That's great.

Find me one American made car. One that's 100% USA made, I don't think it's possible.

I do what I can to buy US goods, but damn are they expensive. A US made set of flatware costs 3 times what a comparable PRC set costs (I paid it, but only because I firmly believe that none of my food, or food related products should be from China).

Japan and Korea are our allies, and their cars are non-union. So I'll continue to buy cars made by employees that make good products because they get paid to do so.

I will not buy a car that has 2 grand in sunk costs in monies owed lazy union workers, that's paying an extra 5-10% on a car just because? Heck no. My military pension is being gutted, and I get a much smaller chunk of pay in retirement than these union lackeys, and certainly had a tougher job as well.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,423,453 times
If you guys want to buy any of the following, you should get on that before this plan falls into place:
  • Buick Regal
  • Cadillac XTS
  • Chevrolet Camaro
  • Chevrolet Equinox
  • Chevrolet Impala
  • Chrysler 300
  • Chrysler Cargo Van
  • Chrysler Town & Country
  • Dodge Charger
  • Dodge Challenger
  • Dodge Grand Caravan
  • Fiat Lancia Thema
  • Ford Edge
  • Ford Flex
  • GMC Terrain
  • Honda Civic
  • Honda CR-V
  • Lexus RX 350
  • Lexus RX 450h (Hybrid)
  • Lincoln MKT
  • Lincoln MKX
  • Toyota Corolla
  • Toyota Matrix
  • Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 EV
Since, you know, you won't be importing them from that "foreign" country to your north anymore, or anything else included in that $324.2 billion worth of stuff you import from us every year, and we won't import the $292.4 billion from you every year, either. lol
That should put a good 7,079,350 Americans alone out of work.

Sounds like an awesome plan. Yep. Get that economy rollin', PDD.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
I'd rather not buy American...
I'll stick with my German cars.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:34 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,791,826 times
And good luck buying a house built by Americans, or food picked by Anericans. Few people that are here legally will 'stoop' to such work (I worked construction from age 14-18 and other than the foreman and inspectors, I was the only 'gringo' on any site I worked, and I can see why, the job sucked, but it was money).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive