Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 01:18 PM

174 posts, read 189,944 times

Advertisements

This boils down to their basically being two types of people - those who are aware of their surroundings and those who are oblivious.

Those who are oblivious,

1. Sit in the left/passing lane (of course)
2. Talk on their cell phones in any situation
3. Block traffic trying to turn left out of a gas station in rush hour traffic 20 feet from a major intersection (instead of simply making a U turn 1/8 mile down the road).
3. Wear headphones at full volume while jogging (edit: outdoors, not treadmill)
4. Block supermarket aisles with themselves or their carts
5. and on and on and on.

People who are aware of their surroundings are simply not capable of most of the above behaviors.

Last edited by slambram; 08-29-2016 at 01:29 PM..

Old 08-29-2016, 01:23 PM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambram View Post
This boils down to their basically being two types of people - those who are aware of their surroundings and those who are oblivious.

Those who are oblivious,

1. Sit in the left/passing lane (of course)
2. Talk on their cell phones in any situation
3. Block traffic trying to turn left out of a gas station in rush hour traffic 20 feet from a major intersection (instead of simply making a U turn 1/8 mile down the road).
3. Wear headphones at full volume while jogging
4. Block supermarket aisles with themselves or their carts
5. and on and on and on.

People who are aware of their surroundings are simply not capable of most of the above behaviors.

I agree. Also, i was not aware of the "left lane is for passing ONLY" rules as we don't really do that in the DC area, where I grew up (and I didn't drive on the highway that often either).

I thought the left lane was just the "fast lane" so I would use it because I generally move faster than the general flow of traffic.

Now that I know... I'm going to use it only for passing. And that's the only logical reaction to this thread. All the people bragging about how they are going to park themselves in the left lane and move at whatever speed they want (even if thats the speed limit) is being so colossally selfish that to me it's flat out gross.

Once you hear that there is a much higher rate of accidents, how can you really want to engage in that? Honestly, if your actions start a chain reaction which ends up with a car overturning and the passengers killed- you have blood on your hands. You should be doing everything you can to drive safe for yourself and others and if you can't or won't do that you don't deserve a license. Simple as.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:38 PM

33 posts, read 25,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
They're probably not trying to catch you. They are probably doing the same thing I do on the highways when a speeder goes past me. You are being there rabbit. Its you who is gonna pull out the cops and get the ticket while they have plenty of time to slow down without getting caught. You become the early warning system. They just need to stay close enough to keep you and your brake lights in sight, and far enough back so that if a cop comes out they aren't going to get pulled over too. For me, the distance is roughly about 1/4-1/2 mile depending on the geography
I've never been pulled over once.

As for people trying to "catch up to me" and "give me a piece of their mind" my state has a ground your ground law. Get up in my face and / or touch me /my car and see what happens. Enough said.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:40 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,686,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I have over a million miles of accident free driving on all types of roads in all types of conditions. You will not be lecturing me on anything about how to drive safely. Get out of the left lane if you don't belong there, you are a hazard.
Im a hazard to people like you and hopefully your kind will all be in jail or something soon.
Theres tv shows about speeders but none about ppl in the left lane, just pissed off internet leadfoots wanting us to cave for them

Old 08-29-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneSage View Post
I've never been pulled over once.

As for people trying to "catch up to me" and "give me a piece of their mind" my state has a ground your ground law. Get up in my face and / or touch me /my car and see what happens. Enough said.
I dont think you can shoot someone for them giving you a piece of their mind. But i dont have that law here, what we do have though is all sorts of military aircraft patrolling the area so if you shoot someone you wont get far.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee2 View Post
I agree. Also, i was not aware of the "left lane is for passing ONLY" rules as we don't really do that in the DC area, where I grew up (and I didn't drive on the highway that often either).

I thought the left lane was just the "fast lane" so I would use it because I generally move faster than the general flow of traffic.

Now that I know... I'm going to use it only for passing. And that's the only logical reaction to this thread. All the people bragging about how they are going to park themselves in the left lane and move at whatever speed they want (even if thats the speed limit) is being so colossally selfish that to me it's flat out gross.

Once you hear that there is a much higher rate of accidents, how can you really want to engage in that? Honestly, if your actions start a chain reaction which ends up with a car overturning and the passengers killed- you have blood on your hands. You should be doing everything you can to drive safe for yourself and others and if you can't or won't do that you don't deserve a license. Simple as.
but if youre in the left lane speeding and you see someone in front of you doesnt common sense tell you to slow down, not ram into them causing said chain reaction?

Old 08-29-2016, 01:47 PM

33 posts, read 25,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I dont think you can shoot someone for them giving you a piece of their mind. But i dont have that law here, what we do have though is all sorts of military aircraft patrolling the area so if you shoot someone you wont get far.
Actually if I feel my life is in danger which is my discretion and my discretion only I can pretty much do anything. Not to mention I didn't mention shooting. Let's just say the person won't be chasing me again. Thankfully I've never needed to up the ante to that level because nobody has ever been able to catch me.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:48 PM

231 posts, read 226,959 times
Quote:
but if youre in the left lane speeding and you see someone in front of you doesnt common sense tell you to slow down, not ram into them causing said chain reaction?

Well... duh. What made you ask such an irrelevant question?

Old 08-29-2016, 02:01 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,753,651 times
Looks like these left lane hog laws are becoming more common. Good to see.

Pay Up, Slowpokes: More States Fine Drivers Who Dawdle in the Left Lane - NBC News

Old 08-29-2016, 02:05 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
Quote:
Then it would say speed suggestion
I didn't say the speed limit was recommended. I said it was a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive