Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 08:52 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,625,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I've already made the decision to never buy Ford again.

Got away from them after my family had some bad 80s and 90s vehicles. Thought they kinda turned things around, but my employer bought a new Ford fleet in April. So far, eight out of the twenty-six have broken down due to the same issue. No thanks, never again.

I personally own a Honda and a Toyota. That's what I'll stay with.
And which issue is that, on which vehicle? I want to make sure I'm looking out for trouble signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 09:30 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times
I don't care where my car is made as long as I love driving it.

Old 09-15-2016, 09:44 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,741,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawsondude View Post
I'm not trying to be a jerk, just trying to point out a couple of errors here.

Cruze- The NA Cruze has been produced int he US at GM's Lordstown plant since its inception. It is true that some production now takes place in Mexico, but that is to make room for production of the hatchback with the new generation as Lordstown was at full production capacity.

Fusion- The Fusion never left Mexico. Some Ford's Flatrock plant with the current generation, but the majority were still produced in Mexico. The production in Flatrock was added to meet assumed demand that didn't materialize--Midsize sedans are really losing out to crossovers. The Fusion leaving is leaving because they don't need the extra production. The Continental is going to Flatrock to open up more production for the Explorer in Chicago where the MKS was built. (Just an FYI).

I'm an auto industry analyst for one of the Detroit OEM's, just thought I'd share some of my knowledge.
Absolutely right on the Cruze. As far as I know, the NA, Japan, and Euro production of the Cruze is all done here in NE Ohio including the stunning 5 door hatchback and wagon that go to Europe only .

You can also buy a Volt.

Regarding GM, I have a Mexican built K2500HD Suburban that runs great after 12 years of hard use. I've also had family members with Ontario-built Chevy Luminas and Impalas that were crap. Doesn't really matter where they are built as long as the plant manager and staff have a strong customer focus and turn out a quality product. If they just want to hit numbers (Jeep, anyone?) then the cars will be crap.

If you want another small car that is 100% built by US workers, try a Subaru. Fantastic car and built in Indiana.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:00 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
"Over the next two to three years, we will have migrated all of our small car production to Mexico and out of the United States,"

Ford moving all production of small cars from US to Mexico

I understand we are a very small percentage of potential buyers, but would this affect your decision in purchasing a new ford?
It's a lie. Ford sold over 200k in comparison Honda sales over 350k but it's no small amount. It's an excuse to move jobs to Mexico just like what the government says about NAFTA that it's only moving small factories over to Mexico.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:12 AM

8,343 posts, read 6,436,914 times
$25 a hour for a job you can learn in a couple of hours no wonder their moving to Mexico. Unions killed american jobs.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:23 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
And which issue is that, on which vehicle? I want to make sure I'm looking out for trouble signs.
2016 Transit full size vans, throttle body issue. Engine malfunction message displays on dash, will only idle, accelerator pedal does nothing. Real great when it happens on the highway.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:30 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
$25 a hour for a job you can learn in a couple of hours no wonder their moving to Mexico. Unions killed american jobs.
So you'd rather be making $7.5 an hour with mandatory 60 hour work weeks and no overtime pay?

Educate yourself on the history of American labor movements and understand why they were important and why unions made America great even if the UAW overstepped it later on.

Or just parrot back the right wing pro-corporate brainwashing you've been taught.

Old 09-15-2016, 10:51 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,738,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So you'd rather be making $7.5 an hour with mandatory 60 hour work weeks and no overtime pay?

Educate yourself on the history of American labor movements and understand why they were important and why unions made America great even if the UAW overstepped it later on.

Or just parrot back the right wing pro-corporate brainwashing you've been taught.
It was useful in it's time. Now not so much. It's not like it's either $7.50 and slave labor vs $25 and regular hours. There is a balance.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:06 AM

2,116 posts, read 3,051,292 times
Quote:
"Over the next two to three years, we will have migrated all of our small car production to Mexico and out of the United States,"

I understand we are a very small percentage of potential buyers, but would this affect your decision in purchasing a new ford?
FCA (Fiat Chrysler America) already made the same move. GM is working on it. There are many factors and they are more complicated than just blaming a union or cheap labor. Labor costs are part of the issue, as are the union contracts that drive up labor prices, supply prices, and legacy costs.

NAFTA plays into the decisions due to the ability to import and export more economically from Mexico than they can from US soil. It also makes sense to move the small cars production to Mexico (as I pointed out in another thread) due to the cost of shipping vehicles to S America via ship or rail or back to US via water or rail transport. It is much (exponentially) less expensive to ship small vehicles than it is to ship larger trucks and SUV's by these methods.

My personal buying decisions are based on personal preference and affordability. Where the car is assembled has little to do with it unless reviews indicated it is a problem model, which could be tied to an assembly point.

Old 09-15-2016, 12:18 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,791,878 times
Quote:

I buy used and so the makers make nothing off me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive