Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 12:30 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
"Over the next two to three years, we will have migrated all of our small car production to Mexico and out of the United States,"

Ford moving all production of small cars from US to Mexico

I understand we are a very small percentage of potential buyers, but would this affect your decision in purchasing a new ford?
No. I would not be buying a small ford anyway.

Even if I were I am not sure it would matter. I usually do not notice where a car I bought was assembled until I have reason to look at the door plate some months or years later. There are no US made cars anymore. Some of the work is done here, some in other countries. - Pretty much all vehicles.

I do try o keep the high dollar income earners part of the purchase here. In other words, it does matter to me where the engineers, idea people, managers, insurance people, marketers, accountants, lawyers, organizational psychologists etcetera who get paid form the profits of the car are located. In part because it is best to keep the high income jobs here, in part because it is something we can impact by purchase choices, while assembly, parts etcetera is not. No matter what you buy, you are buying a mish mash of foreign and US made. Whether it is 28% or 33% makes virtually no difference. However, we can make an impact on where the money for the other part of the purchase ends up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 12:32 PM

4,314 posts, read 4,000,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It's the giant sucking sound.
Ross Perot was right !

Old 09-15-2016, 12:40 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
Only Ford I'm interested in(Focus RS) is built in Germany. Their European offerings are so much better than what we get here. They're finally starting to understand that.

More concerned about the design and quality of the end product rather than where it was built. To a certain extent anyway. Wouldn't knowingly buy from a place with child labor, major human rights violations, etc.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,730,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I don't care where my car is made as long as I love driving it.
This...

Old 09-15-2016, 05:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So you'd rather be making $7.5 an hour with mandatory 60 hour work weeks and no overtime pay?

Educate yourself on the history of American labor movements and understand why they were important and why unions made America great even if the UAW overstepped it later on.

Or just parrot back the right wing pro-corporate brainwashing you've been taught.

I think that many would love this to happen in the USA as long as it was not them personally.

Let's go back to the mill days. Six days a week. 06:00 AM to 06:00 PM with no overtime. And if you get injured on the job - you are fired.

No soup for you.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:17 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,750,870 times
DH bought a Tundra last year after having 6 Ford trucks over the last 30 years. We love that it's Texas built.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:42 PM

696 posts, read 905,680 times
A real stab in the back after the bail out the gov gave them

Old 09-15-2016, 11:46 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Ford better finish their wicked plan before Trump is sworn in in January. That 35% tariif will stop them cold ntheir tracks.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:26 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
"Over the next two to three years, we will have migrated all of our small car production to Mexico and out of the United States,"

Ford moving all production of small cars from US to Mexico

I understand we are a very small percentage of potential buyers, but would this affect your decision in purchasing a new ford?
Yes. If I'm going to buy a foreign made car I will look to Europe.

Old 09-16-2016, 01:28 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Well, with small cars it's not like you'll have much of a choice. Fit and Mazda3 are both made in Mexico, Cruze is moving to Mexico (from S. Korea), Corolla is moving to Mexico. Mexico is kind of sketchy on reliability/quality. Honda had problems with the Fit and is moving the CR-V back to the US. Fusion was pretty good when it was in Mexico. It's likewise moving back to Mexico for 2017. They need the capacity for the Mustang and new Lincoln Continental.

Civic so far isn't going to Mexico, so I guess you'll buy a Civic if made in the good ol' USA is a thing.. or not buy a small car. Or a Fit. Since Honda can't make enough Fits in Mexico, a lot of them are coming from Japan.

Honestly, though, the only Ford that really interests me is made in Germany so the answer is no. At least unless some unknown relative croaks and I come into a bunch of money I don't know what to do with, in which case I'd look at the GT350.
What is a fit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive