Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 01:35 AM

1,413 posts, read 3,233,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
So you'd rather be making $7.5 an hour with mandatory 60 hour work weeks and no overtime pay?

Educate yourself on the history of American labor movements and understand why they were important and why unions made America great even if the UAW overstepped it later on.

Or just parrot back the right wing pro-corporate brainwashing you've been taught.
Reps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 02:46 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
You can buy small cars made in America, Toyota and Honda build millions of them. Best of all they actually work the way they are supposed too, not the kind of shoddy quality you expect from UAW build cars from the rust belt. I know Ford did not take the bailout, they deserve credit for that but this is inexcusable. I am so sick of these companies offshoring jobs. GM and Chrysler should be forced to build everything here since they are essentially wards of the US taxpayer. They should have all been allowed to go bankrupt.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:23 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
A real stab in the back after the bail out the gov gave them
Ford didn't get a bailout. They had already borrowed as much as they could before the recession prevented GM and Chrysler from borrowing money.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:25 AM

9,889 posts, read 7,223,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
What is a fit?
It's made by Honda - a subcompact.

Old 09-16-2016, 05:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,330,579 times
I gave up on Fords in the mid 70s,unreliable pieces of junk.went through Chevy and Dodge products for a while with similar results then discovered what reliability meant when i bought my first Japanese car,been a Toyota guy ever since.
Ford can build their cars anywhere they like i aint buying one.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:36 AM

31 posts, read 98,691 times
Smile Thank you

I hope this country will change with this historical type of election.
If we want this country to be great we should make sacrifices and keep all taxes lower and help these giant manufactures to stay here.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:14 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Ford better finish their wicked plan before Trump is sworn in in January. That 35% tariif will stop them cold ntheir tracks.
That sounds good but he could not implement any such thing. It would be a violation of NAFTA and we would get sanctioned by WTO.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:29 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
DH bought a Tundra last year after having 6 Ford trucks over the last 30 years. We love that it's Texas built.
My father got heckled at work when he bought a Sequoia then a Tundra the following year. Ignorant clowns driving Mexican-built Chevys were harassing him for buying Toyotas built in Indiana.

My Honda Pilot was built in Alabama and my Toyota Avalon in Kentucky. Both have domestic parts content higher than most of the "American" cars.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:36 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasalette View Post
I hope this country will change with this historical type of election.
If we want this country to be great we should make sacrifices and keep all taxes lower and help these giant manufactures to stay here.
It's not the taxes (which are pretty average from a global perspective) that are killing American competitiveness; it's employee health care costs. I can think of a number of companies that have moved production lines to Canada because lower health care costs there mean they can have far lower employee expenses even if they have salaries at rough par to American employees.

But no one really talks about that because the politicians rely on contributions from the for-profit health care industry to finance their campaign and all the news channels rely on tv ads from Big Pharma to stay on the air. (Look at how many drug ads you get during an hour of news coverage) Meanwhile our peer nations spend far less on health care and as a whole get better patient outcomes.

Remember one of the big reasons behind the Big Three financial woes were the 'health insurance for life' contracts signed in the 1960s and 70s when no one had any idea the US health care system would turn into the expensive ness that it is now.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:39 AM

1,413 posts, read 1,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
My father got heckled at work when he bought a Sequoia then a Tundra the following year. Ignorant clowns driving Mexican-built Chevys were harassing him for buying Toyotas built in Indiana.

My Honda Pilot was built in Alabama and my Toyota Avalon in Kentucky. Both have domestic parts content higher than most of the "American" cars.
I have tried combating this attitude for years, and believe me it is made even harder living in the Detroit area.

I work in the industry and I am employed by one of the Detroit Automakers. I still have no problem with people buying import brands. Even beyond manufacturing, all of the larger automakers employ a lot of Americans. I have friends in the industry who work for VW, Toyota, BMW, and Honda, none of whom are at plants or are in manufacturing roles. I also know a lot of other people who work at major suppliers to these companies.

What you are describing is honestly outdated inaccurate thinking. It may have been true when imports began making inroads in the 1970's and didn't have much US infrastructure, but we are in a global economy now and that is the reality. Funny how you never hear people complain where their television, smartphone, or pants were manufactured. Even talking about "the profits" going back to the home country is largely BS. Most of the major foreign OEM's continue to invest billions and billions of dollars into their US and NA operations.

As I said, I work for one of the the Detroit OEM's; I would like you to purchase one of our products, but that is only because I want the company to hit its objectives so my bonus is padded If I worked for Toyota or Honda I would feel the same way! If you buy a competitor's product I don't care if it is another domestic or from an import brand. In my eyes a competitor is a competitor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive