Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 07:49 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

I drive a 2015 Hyundai Elantra built here in USA. I don't think "where" a vehicle is built matters in regards to quality. The engineering, oversight, and quality control over all parts and assembly decide quality more than geographic location. I have no problem with a company moving production closer to it's target customers. For example; a plant in Europe to sell to Europe, a plant in Asia to sell to Asia, but this is not the case. This is administrators and Union execs screwing over their American workers. The execs mad the decision for the sake of cutting labor expenses instead of cutting the red tape and number of useless executives. The union bosses, some of whom never worked a factory line, get huge paychecks from union dues and always want bigger checks through higher wages for their union workers which also means higher union dues the workers have to pay. Today's unions are parasites living off the companies Instead of a mutually beneficial symbiotic relationship. Because of this, the companies are moving production away from the parasites to shake them off their fur and in the process, it's the average American worker and the surrounding communities that are hurt. Those union execs continue to live a lifestyle on par with the auto execs the union workers treat as the enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2016, 09:24 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
For anyone that has ever worked at a Japanese company as I have, one of the things I've experienced and learned is that their management does have some concern and listens to the feedbacks of the workers. Often at American companies, you the worker commented how something should be done this way instead of that way. Your manager would say, ok whatever. But Japanese management actually wants to hear it and take it for consideration. Doesn't mean they act on it but they will use feedbacks as a way to adapt their decision making process.

One reason Japanese open factories here rather than Mexico is Japanese respect Americans and would rather pay more for workers that follow standards than go to Mexico where you need a bunch of managers and overseers to ensure the workers follow standards. That's why so many American cars have problems because if you take your eye off one Mexican worker that doesn't adhere to standards. Quality suffers.

Japanese prefer quality & craftmanship over cheap raw labor. I've worked with Japanese companies and they are loyal to their workers as long as you remain loyal to them. The same cannot be said of American companies where you're just a number and loyalty doesn't exist.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:21 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,459 times
Ford will never get my support again since their move to mexico, when I get to the Miami international auto show, I will put a middle finger at ford motor company and their products.

Old 09-16-2016, 03:22 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That sounds good but he could not implement any such thing. It would be a violation of NAFTA and we would get sanctioned by WTO.
NAFTA & The WTO are a disaster to the ecomony an you know it and have been for a long time.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 PM

604 posts, read 653,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
$25 a hour for a job you can learn in a couple of hours no wonder their moving to Mexico. Unions killed american jobs.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:34 PM

604 posts, read 653,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You can buy small cars made in America, Toyota and Honda build millions of them. Best of all they actually work the way they are supposed too, not the kind of shoddy quality you expect from UAW build cars from the rust belt. I know Ford did not take the bailout, they deserve credit for that but this is inexcusable. I am so sick of these companies offshoring jobs. GM and Chrysler should be forced to build everything here since they are essentially wards of the US taxpayer. They should have all been allowed to go bankrupt.
amen to that!

Old 09-16-2016, 10:25 PM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
GM and Chrysler should be forced to build everything here since they are essentially wards of the US taxpayer. They should have all been allowed to go bankrupt.
Why should a foreign company be forced to build things here? That's kind of weird. I mean, if BMW, Honda, Mercedes, Hyundai, Toyota, etc. all want to build stuff here, great. I don't see why they should be forced to build anything at all let alone everything here though.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
$25 a hour for a job you can learn in a couple of hours no wonder their moving to Mexico. Unions killed american jobs.
Yes that's what corporations want you to believe. You ever wonder why Walmart goes nuts when they hear Union being passed around?

Old 09-16-2016, 11:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Why should a foreign company be forced to build things here? That's kind of weird. I mean, if BMW, Honda, Mercedes, Hyundai, Toyota, etc. all want to build stuff here, great. I don't see why they should be forced to build anything at all let alone everything here though.
You know the whole bailout thing.

Old 09-17-2016, 12:40 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
That sounds good but he could not implement any such thing. It would be a violation of NAFTA and we would get sanctioned by WTO.
NAFTA can be revisited at any time, and Trump doesn't even need the Congress.

"NAFTA's Article 2205, which Trump cited in his speech last week in Pittsburgh, is only 34 words and simply says that a party may withdraw from the agreement six months after it provides written notice."

Yes, 'President Trump' really could kill NAFTA - but it wouldn't be pretty - Jul. 6, 2016
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive