Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:31 AM

730 posts, read 1,656,574 times

Advertisements

Years ago cars were made in Flint Michigan and you couldn't drink the water in Mexico.

Now, cars are made in Mexico and you can't drink the water in Flint.

Go figure......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2016, 02:52 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Chevy Cruze
Lordstown, Ohio

Old 09-19-2016, 04:31 AM

325 posts, read 336,470 times
I prefer that the US jobs be kept here in the US and not shipped to another country. But I put the car's reliability and build quality above where the car is made. My 2013 Civic is made in Canada and previous Hondas were US-made. The small Fords(Focus and Fiesta), forget it, I hear they have had unreliable transmissions. I don't care if they're made in the US, Mexico, or on planet Xidieowihjdofisofhosdsliaosijfodsif, I'm not buying an unreliable car.

Old 09-19-2016, 08:33 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
NAFTA & The WTO are a disaster to the ecomony an you know it and have been for a long time.
I would agree but that's not something Trump could change.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:41 AM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I would agree but that's not something Trump could change.
Actually, he could. NAFTA was an executive order and any party can leave NAFTA. They simply give their six month notice and are out. Since it was an executive order and not an act of Congress, yes, he could simply leave. The Congress could, of course, block him from doing so but that would require action on its part. They'd have to pass a bill effectively blocking exiting NAFTA. Trump would then veto that. And then they'd have to pass it with a 2/3rds majority to overrule the veto. There's enough opposition to NAFTA that I don't see a 2/3rds majority stepping out on a limb to prevent it.

Now, do I think he'd actually do it? Probably not. Trump says a lot of things I really don't think he has any intention of doing. Sort of like Brexit. Politicians were happy to talk the talk and tell people what they want to hear but now, uh, not so much. The EU wants it done and over. UK is woe, woe let's slow down here. The official stance from the UK is they won't negotiate in anyway claiming that the EU will be vindictive. Maybe some truth in there but it's really that the UK has nothing to gain by negotiating. They won't get a sweeter deal than they have now. So they stall. The US and NAFTA is a very different dynamic than Brexit. UK has no cards to play negotiating with the EU. On the other hand, NAFTA is pretty favorable to the US. Canada certainly wouldn't mind negotiating the oil export provisions of NAFTA which is VERY beneficial to the US. I think Trumps primary purpose with NAFTA is to sound tough on jobs going to Mexico but when you start getting down to brass tacks NAFTA also guarantees us a huge amount of oil from our biggest oil source, Canada.

Last edited by Malloric; 09-20-2016 at 09:51 AM..

Old 09-20-2016, 12:06 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
A real stab in the back after the bail out the gov gave them
You need to do your homework. Ford was the only US manufacturer that didn't take the Fed money. They remained viable because they had already replaced the lifetime auto people in senior management with actual business types that can read a balance sheet.

Old 09-20-2016, 12:10 PM

2,116 posts, read 3,047,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
You can buy small cars made in America, Toyota and Honda build millions of them. Best of all they actually work the way they are supposed too, not the kind of shoddy quality you expect from UAW build cars from the rust belt. I know Ford did not take the bailout, they deserve credit for that but this is inexcusable. I am so sick of these companies offshoring jobs. GM and Chrysler should be forced to build everything here since they are essentially wards of the US taxpayer. They should have all been allowed to go bankrupt.
This move actually isn't "offshoring jobs" it is rearranging the locations specific vehicles are being built for a better value to the company. The end result will actually be more jobs due to the addition of two new models that will be better sellers in the US than their small cars. It will also make the export of vehicles to central and south America more economical.

Additionally, even though I was not a fan of the bailout, you should be aware that all the loans to the auto manufacturers are since repaid. They are not wards of the US taxpayers.

Old 09-30-2016, 01:08 PM

189 posts, read 178,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Fiesta and Fusions are already made there (if VIN number starts with 3 then it is made in Mexico).

All Dodge trucks with the Cummins engines are Mexican, a line of Toyota Tacomas are Mexican, all GM 1500 crew cab pickups and many others.
And the Cummins engine itself is globally sourced too. The engine block is from either Mexico or Brazil. Most if not all of the gears, pulleys and machined parts are from India, China or Mexico.

People "puff up" and think they are "buying American" when they get a Cummins engine. Cummins only "assembles" engines.....it doesn't make them.

-G

Old 09-30-2016, 07:23 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
The got until Nov. 8 to complete the move, or start writing 35% checks.

Old 10-01-2016, 08:06 AM

1,996 posts, read 4,767,759 times
Would you rather own a car built in Mexico or China? if you only had one choice?

It is sad that now this is slowly becoming reality. Soon we will probably see all automotive production end in 10-15 years in the U.S., maybe besides for some trucks.

The cost keeps rising to produce cars in the U.S., at least for GM, Ford and Chrysler, so the automakers are constantly trying to help their bottom line. Automakers seem to be one of the worst businesses at cost cutting, penny pinching at the littlest of things.

It's funny how Honda, Toyo, Hyundai and Kia all make cars here in the U.S. and hasn't said anything about producing cars in Mexico, all the while the big 3 will soon start offshoring manufacturing jobs to China, GM being the first with Buick and Cadillac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive