Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 09:54 AM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I don’t see how it’s bad luck with different vehicles different years different brands. Ok one vehicle I’ll give you that. I can see that sometimes you can get a lemon. But not multiple cats different brands and different years. All the cars with one ecpxception was bought brand new. I am religious on maintenance. In fact a little too much. For example my truck fuel pump was acting funny. I ordered two. One for each truck. Replaced them both. Why? Because I dint need to possibly break down. I figure if one is going out there is a good chance the other will be too. Now the pump may be ok but 180,000 miles......and $80 and 1/2 hour of my time. Not a big deal.

Btw one of my coworkers just took his Equinnox back on a lemon law. Truck is 1 year old. The AC crapped out 5 times

Sure...ok....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 10:03 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
Comparing American cars to Japanese cars in terms of reliability, the Japanese cars always win. I don't know why, honestly- in 2019, it seems that everyone should be able to build equally reliable cars, but for some reason, the data just doesn't favor the American cars. However, the German cars aren't great either.

Consumer Reports and other researchers consistently find Asian quality far exceeding both other geographies. It's not about anecdotes, it's about the data.

Old 03-27-2019, 12:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
C

Consumer Reports find Asian quality far exceeding both other geographies. It's not about anecdotes, it's about WHO BUYS THE ADVERTISING.
Did a little fixing.

Consumer Reports is about as reliable as a Yugo.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:04 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,590,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I dont understand how people have all these problems. It has to be driving habits.

I had a brand new 2011 Charger R/T for 6 years.

I wonder the same thing. I've had lots of new GM vehicles, starting with my 1974 Chevy Vega, which never needed a single repair due to manufacturing defects. No recalls or warranty work. I have never had any major repairs, just a few minor ones. The worst problem was a fuel pump failure on my 2001 GMC Sierra.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:25 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Comparing American cars to Japanese cars in terms of reliability, the Japanese cars always win. I don't know why, honestly- in 2019, it seems that everyone should be able to build equally reliable cars, but for some reason, the data just doesn't favor the American cars. However, the German cars aren't great either.

Consumer Reports and other researchers consistently find Asian quality far exceeding both other geographies. It's not about anecdotes, it's about the data.
I agree. But all these manufacturing plant should have quality control teams in place, or inspection teams in place. They have to do a better job in making sure of the quality they are putting out there. I wonder if they under any sort of pressure to inspect and pass these cars, to get them to market. This America you know, the bottom line is all about the dollar, and the more you can put out, the more you can make.

Old 03-27-2019, 02:34 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,106,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Doubtful. But Japanese quality has been slipping while Korean has been growing by leaps and bounds. I think that’s the flip to expect.

I have to totally disagree with you.

We rented a Hyundai Tucson this past weekend and let's just say we were not impressed.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:36 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,932,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I agree. But all these manufacturing plant should have quality control teams in place, or inspection teams in place. They have to do a better job in making sure of the quality they are putting out there. I wonder if they under any sort of pressure to inspect and pass these cars, to get them to market. This America you know, the bottom line is all about the dollar, and the more you can put out, the more you can make.
The final assembly plant has very little impact on long term durability. Plants are so "dummy proofed" these days that the variability from one car to the next is very minimal, if any.

Long term durability is typically based on the quality of the components in the car. THAT is where manufacturing quality is more important - at the suppliers.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:36 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
No. The future of auto industry growth is in developing countries, and US automakers are interested only in what they can sell to American buyers, with American personal economies driving in the American motoring environment.

Old 03-27-2019, 08:59 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,138,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
I believe in SOME cases the problems are a bit exaggerated. You just have folks out there who absolutely hate American made cars, so every issues will be blown way out into the bleachers. I agree the American cars, have some work to do to catch up with the Japanese, no question about that. But so many are still holding on to bad experiences, and stories they heard about or what was told to them. Not everybody all have or share these bad experiences with American made cars. There are videos on YouTube about the problems with the 2018 Toyota Camry, and the recall on some of them. But you don't hear people talking about that.
Couldnt agree more.
I do wonder if the Camry recall is a one off or if there has been past issues with Toyotas that no one has been looking at?

Old 03-27-2019, 09:07 PM

243 posts, read 268,560 times
You don’t get it do you? American brands are NOT American anymore!

Do you want to know the most American car on the market right now is probably the Honda Accord.

Honda Accord = assembled in Ohio; 85% parts are American made and assembled.

Remaining 15% are Japanese parts and those are mostly mechanical pieces. Honda isn’t even considered Japanese anymore, the Accords you see on the roads are more American than any ford or gmc vehicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive