Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2019, 05:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Don’t forget that long time truck buyers are extreme brand loyalist.
Yup that’s my stepdad. Won’t even look at a import. Even if the import is a better buy and more reliable. He would get livid when people bought Japanese imports. He was Walt Kowalski without the Grand Torino. He bought a Caddy with a Northstar. To this day he will swear it’s a great car. Even though it was a complete pile of ****. That’s the problem.

I stopped being brand loyal around 2003. I had so many issues with Dodge and Ford trucks I seriously contemplated to go to Tacoma’s and Tundras. The only thing that kept me from doing so was they couldn’t take the weight that we put in the beds. Sure for a run around shop truck it would be ok. But for heavy duty work it’s unable to meet what a 1 ton does. . We needed 1 ton dual wheel trucks. I could of struggled but instead I bought a few used solid 7.3 diesel and 454 Chevy trucks in the 3/4 to1 ton range. I was gonna go with V10s but I started hearing plug issues from a buddy who had a V10 fleet.

As a business owner I was looking for best price with the longest reliability. We had this Chevy 3500 that went through a motor and then a transmission which was weird because it was the old 350/4L80E transmissions which were bulletproof. I ended up rebuilding both as the truck wasn’t that old but of course out of warranty.

When I buy a car today I look at reliability, maintenance, value, initial price and last on the list resale value. I keep my cars long enough that resale isn’t as important but it’s nice to have. And truthfully Japanese imports still hold the edge over domestics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 05:17 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
Detroit 3? No. Maybe once they go bankrupt some new American car companies will rise up built to Japanese standards.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:34 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
No actually never see Tundras in my area...people are not buying them as Toyota has a hard time selling them.
Well it’s different where I live. For 1/2 tons it’s...

F150>Silverado/Sierra>Tundra>Ram>Titan

Old 03-23-2019, 05:37 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep some people can’t let go of the past and they forgot about the Toyota stuck gas pedal, and the air bag. People can forget those problems but if it’s an American manufacture they can just never forget.
There never was a stuck gas pedal issue. There was a few problems with floor mats and the media blew it way out of proportion. Funny how it died down quickly and you never hear about runaway Toyota’s anymore.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:15 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In terms of dependability and overall popularity, Japanese cars have outranked American cars for decades now.

Back in the 80s, the Honda Accord used to be the popular car. Then it became the Toyota Camry. Lexus has done very well in the luxury car market for a long time now as well.

Do you think American cars will be able to catch up and compete with Japanese cars again?

American cars will always fall behind when they would rather spend money on marketing rather than quality control. The word gets out and Consumer Reports reports it.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:46 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Quote:
Yep some people can’t let go of the past and they forgot about the Toyota stuck gas pedal, and the air bag. People can forget those problems but if it’s an American manufacture they can just never forget.
There was never a stuck pedal issue, it was debunked and found all of the lawsuits were fake and the only time it has ever occurred was due to dealer installed carpets that caused it.

Did it ever occur to you that GM has killed hundreds of people 124 deaths linked to GM ignition failure.

GM: Ignition glitch caused 10 times more deaths than initially thought | Fortune

GM always put reliability and quality last as people who are blindly loyal to GM paid the price and the government never handed out billion dollar fines. While foreign brands keep getting bullied by US government over issues that didn't kill anybody.

I would never buy a GM nor anybody in my family owns any GM because the company has a terrible track record. Non of my family members own any GM. Atleast 30+ cars, none of them GM.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:07 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There was never a stuck pedal issue, it was debunked and found all of the lawsuits were fake and the only time it has ever occurred was due to dealer installed carpets that caused it.

Did it ever occur to you that GM has killed hundreds of people 124 deaths linked to GM ignition failure.

GM: Ignition glitch caused 10 times more deaths than initially thought | Fortune

GM always put reliability and quality last as people who are blindly loyal to GM paid the price and the government never handed out billion dollar fines. While foreign brands keep getting bullied by US government over issues that didn't kill anybody.

I would never buy a GM nor anybody in my family owns any GM because the company has a terrible track record. Non of my family members own any GM. Atleast 30+ cars, none of them GM.
That’s your choice but GM is not hurting because of you not buying their vehicles they are doing just fine now. And that was the old GM the new GM is making some decent vehicles. And Toyoda with the rusted frames on their Tundras, and If you want to go backing time

Toyota Agrees to Sludge Settlement for Consumers

Class Action Suit Brings Relief to 3.5 Million Toyota, Lexus Owners

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ettlement.html

Last edited by easy62; 03-23-2019 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-24-2019, 12:37 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Many Japanese brands ARE American cars...meaning made here, and often with many components made here as well.

Toyota is a good example of an American Japanese car - meaning for US consumers, the cars they buy are mostly made here and are essentially just as American as American brands cars, including being made by American workers.

Old 03-24-2019, 01:13 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
That’s your choice but GM is not hurting because of you not buying their vehicles they are doing just fine now. And that was the old GM the new GM is making some decent vehicles. And Toyoda with the rusted frames on their Tundras, and If you want to go backing time

Toyota Agrees to Sludge Settlement for Consumers

Class Action Suit Brings Relief to 3.5 Million Toyota, Lexus Owners

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/news...ettlement.html
Dodge had a huge issue with sludge motors on 4.7/5.7 and the funny.....government did nothing to dodge. It’s not a new GM. it’s the same old GM . The ONLY reason they improved was because they had to. They still lost millions of customers. The Big 3 always play the patriotic card in marketing

Old 03-24-2019, 02:38 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
I'm just a bit over 60 yoa and went for decades buying Japanese exclusively due to reliability and cost compared to other car makers. As our economic situation improved over the last 10 years, I bought a BMW 7 series that I loved more than any other Japanese car I've owned. After it started having a few maintenance issues at 120K miles, I sold it and bought a Charger Hellcat which I love even more.

Wife traded her Honda Pilot for a Jeep Grand Cherokee and loves the GC much more than she ever loved the Pilot though she enjoyed the Pilot very much for years.

I also bought a BMW 228I for running around town and limiting the miles on my Hellcat.

So we would be an example of people that left Japanese (primarily Honda) and enjoying American brand cars even more. So far, we haven't had any issues with our American cars, if we do, we'll likely go back to Japanese cars but right now, I don't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive