Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 12:27 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,168,905 times

Advertisements

No actually never see Tundras in my area...people are not buying them as Toyota has a hard time selling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Did someone in a Tundra cut you off in traffic or something? You seem very angry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 12:39 PM

7,493 posts, read 7,168,905 times
Ah and Toyota wanted consumers to believe there was no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Yep some people can’t let go of the past and they forgot about the Toyota stuck gas pedal, and the air bag. People can forget those problems but if it’s an American manufacture they can just never forget.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:51 PM

41 posts, read 24,111 times
Think about Detroit and the average work ethic in America in general vs. Japanese work ethic and the general state of Japanese society. I've been to Japan and know what it's like.

Unless there's a MAJOR societal change of attitude in America, I can imagine Japanese cars will continue to dominate the market.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:55 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In terms of dependability and overall popularity, Japanese cars have outranked American cars for decades now.

Back in the 80s, the Honda Accord used to be the popular car. Then it became the Toyota Camry. Lexus has done very well in the luxury car market for a long time now as well.

Do you think American cars will be able to catch up and compete with Japanese cars again?
Of course they will. If they want to continue to sell cars and be competitive against all foreign makes. I believe it's quantity over quality here in the states, in the rush to beat the competition to the market. I also believe our capitalist culture plays a role as well, in the quest to make big profits, and quality is not put to the front of the line. We have the tools to be on the same level as the Japanese, but it has to start from the top. Japanese cars were not always where they are today, they worked hard over the decades to build quality cars.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,585,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ever hear of Bollywood? China is overtaking America in the movie business. Where have you been?

Yes, I've heard of Bollywood. It's in India.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdaybyday View Post
Think about Detroit and the average work ethic in America in general vs. Japanese work ethic and the general state of Japanese society. I've been to Japan and know what it's like.

Unless there's a MAJOR societal change of attitude in America, I can imagine Japanese cars will continue to dominate the market.
I lived in Japan over two years, when I was stationed over there. And I agree, they have some really strong work ethic, I doubt very seriously that the majority of American worker will ever reach that level. I would go to work in the morning, and when I get off eight hours later, these old ladies I saw on the way to work that morning are still bent over in the rice fields around the base. I mean they were pretty old looking too, but they worked really hard.

Old 03-23-2019, 01:13 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
That’s not entirely accurate and a simplistic view of it. You do realize that Toyota implemented the Ford Production System into their company after WW2, with some tweaks of course.
Not sure the accuracy of what you're saying. But that's irrelevant. What they use today is not that. Look up the Toyota Way

Quote:
If Toyota was so good why do they excel at cars but flop at trucks? That makes no logical sense....that’s because there are numerous factors that lead to all that. I could write a novel on the current state of the US auto industry and all the elements that go into it.
Not sure what you mean?

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/2017...midsize-trucks

Chevy Colorado Sales Fall Behind Toyota Tacoma In Q4 2018 | GM Authority

Toyota trucks and Ford/GM trucks are mostly not in the same segment, if you include all the different offerings of F150,250,350 etc.

You cannot put them all in one big label "trucks".

I don't think we need to go back and forth about the truck thing. A lot of people have mentioned it already.

Prove to me that american vehicles are more reliable than Japanese, with statistics, not anecdotes.

"hint: you can't"

Old 03-23-2019, 01:30 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,930,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
Not sure the accuracy of what you're saying. But that's irrelevant. What they use today is not that. Look up the Toyota Way

Not sure what you mean?

https://www.torquenews.com/1083/2017...midsize-trucks

Chevy Colorado Sales Fall Behind Toyota Tacoma In Q4 2018 | GM Authority

Toyota trucks and Ford/GM trucks are mostly not in the same segment, if you include all the different offerings of F150,250,350 etc.

You cannot put them all in one big label "trucks".

I don't think we need to go back and forth about the truck thing. A lot of people have mentioned it already.

Prove to me that american vehicles are more reliable than Japanese, with statistics, not anecdotes.

"hint: you can't"
Just as you can't prove the reverse, either. Consumer Reports and JD Power surveys, which so many people like to reference, are not the methods to determine that stuff, either, especially when they don't measure anything after the first few years.

Ford and Toyota both make some good vehicles and both make some duds. I think overall quality levels are pretty darn close between all brands of vehicles these days. On the full-size truck side (F-150 vs Tundra & Expedition vs Sequioa) Ford dominates and there is no debating that. We will see what happens with Ranger vs Tacoma, and obviously Toyota is surprisingly absent from building anything that competes with F-250-750, Econoline, Transit or Transit Connect.

Last edited by iamweasel; 03-23-2019 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-23-2019, 01:32 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
The big three have come a long way since the 80s but they still fall short in some areas.

Last edited by reed067; 03-23-2019 at 02:30 PM..

Old 03-23-2019, 01:32 PM

American big trucks dominate the segment of full size trucks, they always have and always will. Most owners are brand loyal, and their favorite brand goes back generations, and through the family. The Japanese have tried, but just have not been able to put any serious dent into the big three haul. Competition between the big three is fierce, and the consumer should benefit from that. All three put out some pretty good products, and I always believe truck quality have been better than the cars because of the fierce competition. Trucks are true bread winners for the big three, and they go all out to try to win your dollar. Nobody knows this segment like the Americans, they will always rule here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive