Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 05:33 AM

7,499 posts, read 7,190,021 times

Advertisements

Very true, yet Toyota has the same problem selling the Tundra, just not much demand for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Nice try....that smaller dealer network doesn’t prevent them from selling a lot of Camrys, does it?

I mean they barely sell 10,000 Sequoias per year. That is god-awful. I disagree with you about the quality of their engine, but even if it was great that pig doesn’t taste so great when the blanket around it is made of garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 07:45 AM

93 posts, read 63,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In terms of dependability and overall popularity, Japanese cars have outranked American cars for decades now.

Back in the 80s, the Honda Accord used to be the popular car. Then it became the Toyota Camry. Lexus has done very well in the luxury car market for a long time now as well.

Do you think American cars will be able to catch up and compete with Japanese cars again?
Based on years of experience with Japanese cars and American I can say that the gap will widen as time goes on. I currently own 3 american cars (Ford, Chevy and Jeep) and 2 Japanese cars (Toyota). All three of the amricans cars have been back to the dealer numerous times since purchase. Neither of the Toyota's have seen a dealer since purchased.

I don't think american car companies will every catch up.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:06 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
Very true, yet Toyota has the same problem selling the Tundra, just not much demand for it.
Did someone in a Tundra cut you off in traffic or something? You seem very angry.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:27 AM

27,196 posts, read 13,489,086 times
In terms of pick up's, the US has had a 25% tariff on all foreign imported pick up's since 1963, it was in response to a German tariff on US Chicken, which no longer exists, however the tax is still known as the 'Chicken Tax'.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:16 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,427,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In terms of dependability and overall popularity, Japanese cars have outranked American cars for decades now.

Do you think American cars will be able to catch up and compete with Japanese cars again?

Quote:
Imports are “assembled” in North America (not “made”, and with mostly foreign parts)....big difference compared to how Ford and GM operate.

Quote:
Wrong....you don’t understand how domestic content calculations are skewed by subassemblies/supplier parks. It has a HUGE impact on the numbers. A Camry is more like 20% Domestic content, not 55%, if you actually pay attention to where the parts come from.

At Ford, the Mexico Fusions were showing 20% domestic content but the Flat Rock, MI fusions were close to 80% and they were built with exactly the same parts from the same suppliers. That’s how bad the #’s can get skewed. It was all due to the Hermosillo plant being too small and Ford having to use subassembly parks in Mexico.

The same works in reverse, ship a bunch of foreign parts to a subassembly park, put them together in a module, and then when they get shipped across the street to the Toyota plant that whole module is now considered 100% domestic content simply because it was assembled in the US. (But of course all the parts are foreign.)
Regardless of what parts are used or where assembled, Japanese companies have higher quality overall because

a)Greater emphasis on quality, means the standards of the components chosen, regardless of originating country, will be higher. And the design focuses on quality.
2) the manufacturing process and manufacturing culture are taken from the culture at plants in Japan and implemented here in the U.S.

There is a reason why Lexus and Toyota consistently rank highest on reliability and dependability reports.

Last edited by NARFALICIOUS; 03-23-2019 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-23-2019, 09:18 AM

732 posts, read 391,395 times
I think they'll become increasingly the same as the supply chains stretch out and more third parties are involved. It might become like asking 'who makes the best PC' when they might only do final assembly if that.

Dunno who'll survive any upcoming seismic shift in design if the battery problem gets licked.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Toyota was wrong to hide the issue and not fix it without getting reamed by the government I’m not contesting that but I mean if we’re gonna go into manufacturers killing people dodge and Ford transmissions slipping out of park, exploding Pintos, Firestone rollover Tamara Airbags, GM ignition cover up hell you name it. Ford did the same thing as far as the cost analysis of its cheaper to get sued than to fix the problem with the Pinto like GM did. I’m sure most manufacturers would probably try to do it again if they could get away with it. I think most would.

But going back to domestics vs imports reliably overall imports are simply more reliable than domestics. I’m talking Japanese Korean imports not European. I have a buddy who bought a Tundra back in 2000. I bought a Dakota. We are both very anal about maintaining and taking care of our trucks. In the 10 years I owned that truck I had to
1. Replace various interior trim pieces that would break. Two weeks into owning it I was mov8ng something and the cigarette lighter was bumped and the whole thing fell inside the dash.
2. Get AC repaired numerous times (some under warranty some after). AC broke two weeks into ownership.
3. Broken front axle. It just broke at the mounting ears. I was going over a bump at maybe walking speed. 32,000 miles
4. Driver seat foam replaced
5. Rear axle replaced (that came out of pocket )
6. Brakes replaced every 20k
7. All U joints replaced (4x4 )
8. Engine rebuilt. It had a slight tick since new. It developed into a knock. Dealer diagnosed it as normal noise. Once out of warranty the diagnostic was I needed a new engine
9. Ball joints replaced at 50,000
All that happened before the truck hit 72,000 miles.
I dumped it as it was a money pit.
My Ram was a similar experience mostly transmission and rearaxle problems. Three transmissions in 100,000 miles

My buddy’s tundra...the regular maintenance that was in the owners manual. That’s it. Oh he did buy new tires and did his brakes once at 60,000 and replaced his accessory belt. He sold it I think it was 12 years old for 10k. I got 6,000 for mine and I was happy to get it.

I personally won’t buy GM because their vehicles simply aren’t good enough. I used to buy GM because well because my family bought GM. I eventually switched to Ford and my wife liked imports. She was a Acura/Nissan buyer. We eventually switched to Infiniti and Kia. Had very good luck with them.
I bought GM trucks for my work fleet. There were always issues. I tried a few 6.0 Fords cause I was told they’re so much better than the “ancient” 7.3s I have now. That was a grand lesson in automotive pain. I didn’t bother with the 6.4 or 6.7 diesels. I’m glad I didn’t. I don’t know if the 6.7 is good or bad today. It’s not on my list of engines to look at. Maybe they’re the best thing since sliced bread.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,517,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Why is Hollywood a big deal in the USA but no equivalent exists in asian or Europe? We are obsessed with looks not substance

Car buyers want a sexy looking car but when push comes to shove reliability matters . US desiged cars follow not lead. Been that way for decdes but for Obama bailing GM out they would have gone under 10 years ago. Obama just delayed it.

Quality requires an attention span longer than a minute. What's going to make that happen here? Nada.
Ever hear of Bollywood? China is overtaking America in the movie business. Where have you been?

Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,703,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They sell a lot of trucks because
1. Fleet sales.
2. No competition in certain truck segments. If you want a 3/4-1 ton! You got three options. That’s it. And there is a lot of “I’m a gonna drive a ‘murican truck dammit” there is no denying it.
3. Domestics can pull out the rebate train and get people to buy their trucks. I rarely hear Toyota having huge rebates on trucks.

Due to my needs I’m stuck in a 3/4-1 ton market. So I dont have a lot of options unless I wanna drive a FL70. If I was in the market for a half ton today my first choice would probably be a Tundra. Although I would like to see a redesign. Second choice Ford Raptor. I’ll buy a a Titan before I spend a penny on a Chevy or Dodge truck
Don’t forget that long time truck buyers are extreme brand loyalist.

Old 03-23-2019, 09:44 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,059,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Ever hear of Bollywood? China is overtaking America in the movie business. Where have you been?
Bollywood is India....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive