Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2014, 12:17 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Link to back up your claim, please.
I'm guessing this is a very, very rough paraphrase of a fox news hater.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 12:31 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The latest theory????
There is no "theory" about Diego Garcia. The assumption is that the flight was lost at sea (as in crashed/destroyed) with all hands - where and why, we don't know yet. That's why the global community is spending tons of resources searching the ocean for signs. That's it at this point, end of story. Any other ideas in my opinion I can't even alleviate to the status of "theory" because they are so unlikely and/or there is absolutely nothing to substantiate the claims. Maybe the proper phrase to use is a "hypothesis". The press is simply throwing out ideas to sell papers, they are otherwise as clueless as us, and the internet community is throwing around conspiracy ideas simply because they have no other information.
Oh, please! There are almost as many theories out there as there are people paying attention to the case!
If the flight made it intact as far as the Maldives (which just a couple of days ago was deemed impossible or unlikely, because it was the Malacca Straight, the Andaman Sea and more recently, the Bay of Bengal that were being searched, in addition to the fact that authorities at one point early on believed in the likelihood that the plane went to Central Asia), it could still be intact and on land somewhere. They were wrong about it crashing in the China Sea, the Straight, the Andaman Sea, and the Bay of Bengal. So you think they couldn't be wrong about a sea crash at all?

Old 03-19-2014, 12:39 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
For all those people such as Mack who still think it was an accident - that possibility has been discarded by EVERYONE involved in the investigation who have been interviewed because:

1)The plane made its turn AFTER (edit: BEFORE) the co-pilot calmly said good night.

2)The triple redundancies in the system (such as a generator that drops down outside in case of fire, which is powered by air flow). Some sort of signal would have been released even if the pilots hadn't noticed the hard turn and were overcome by smoke.

3)The plane made its turn some minutes AFTER(edit: BEFORE) the pilot calmly said goodnight.

At this time, it is no longer speculation: it was not an accident or fire.

Last edited by Woof; 03-19-2014 at 01:33 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 12:47 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
For all those people such as Mack who still think it was an accident - that possibility has been discarded by EVERYONE involved in the investigation who have been interviewed because:

1)The plane made its turn AFTER the co-pilot calmly said good night.

2)The triple redundancies in the system (such as a generator that drops down outside in case of fire, which is powered by air flow). Some sort of signal would have been released even if the pilots hadn't noticed the hard turn and were overcome by smoke.

3)The plane made its turn some minutes AFTER the pilot calmly said goodnight.

Didn't someone say recently that it had been decided that the turn was made before the pilot said goodnight? I thought the original statement was revised. It's getting hard to keep track, frankly.

The other thing is that if there had been a fire or mechanical trouble, it's unlikely that the plane could have made it to the Maldives, and flying low all the while, which requires a lot of skill and a well-functioning plane.

(Woof, your items #1 and #3 are the same.)

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-19-2014 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-19-2014, 12:53 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,544,684 times
Quote:

Wouldn't the fact that the plane turned AFTER he said good night lead us to believe it could be an accident.

The good night is the last known communication. After that no one knows what happened. If it quickly turned after the good night, then it could have been a catastrophic accident.

If he took this drastic turn THEN said good night. That would mean it most definitely was not an accident because the pilot never said anything except good night.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:00 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:

I think you either made an error or are confused. If you meant to put AFTER, you are disproving the point that you're trying to make. Yesterday it was announced that the turn was made BEFORE the verbal check in:

Malaysia Airlines search: Jet already had turned before co-pilot's 'good night' message | Fox News

I would normally never cite Fox but it was the first article that came up

Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM

542 posts, read 692,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I think you either made an error or are confused. If you meant to put AFTER, you are disproving the point that you're trying to make. Yesterday it was announced that the turn was made BEFORE the verbal check in:

Malaysia Airlines search: Jet already had turned before co-pilot's 'good night' message | Fox News

I would normally never cite Fox but it was the first article that came up

We knows from an ACARS transmission at 1:07am that by then (12 minutes before "good night") new coordinates had been entered into the navigation. I don't know if that means they know the plane was already on that turn, or just that the information had been entered (some have said pilots enter an alternate route in case of emergency, but obviously don't fly that route unless they select it later). The information could have been entered before takeoff; all we know is that 1:07 was the first ACARS transmission (takeoff at 12:41) so the information was entered before then. This article by Fox seems to think it means that because ACARS detected new information in the navigation system meant the plane already was flying that route, which isn't necessarily true. (Wouldn't ATC have noticed this?)

Here's a timeline of what we know happened.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:14 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Take this with a grain of salt like everything else but I just heard that there was enough fuel in that airplane "to fly around the world." No one asked for that much fuel. Someone on the ground put that much fuel in it though. Rumor. The only thing that I take from this is that there were other people who were "in" on this.

I do think that word is getting out as to what really happened but it's being kept quiet. That's fine until they really know for sure.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:23 PM

29,509 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Take this with a grain of salt like everything else but I just heard that there was enough fuel in that airplane "to fly around the world." No one asked for that much fuel. Someone on the ground put that much fuel in it though. Rumor. The only thing that I take from this is that there were other people who were "in" on this.

I do think that word is getting out as to what really happened but it's being kept quiet. That's fine until they really know for sure.
I would have thought that was one of the first things they would have done. Figure out how much fuel the plane had, then altitude it flew and from that I'm guessing they have a decent idea of how far it could have flown. Couple that with the known trajectories and that would be a good starting point for the search. Maybe they did that but it just seems like the search is sort of disjointed.

Old 03-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Yes, yes, I made a mistake in saying "after". I meant to say "before", thus proving that the co-pilot was up to no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Aviation