Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2008, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 7,600 times

Advertisements

Speaking of young people with no children, a friend and I are looking at a row home up for rent, about a block north of Patterson Park but south of Route 40 (the crappiest road ever). Circumstances have me desperate for a cheap apartment temporarily but this place is immaculate inside and nicely refinished. I'm used to Columbia MD so parking and security are now more of a concern.

I went to the following site:
www.baltimorepolice.org/your-community/crime-map
(very helpful, if you want to psych yourself out)

I'm not sure if I want to commit to a 1 year lease in this area. I dunno what to expect ... I keep hearing positive things about Patterson Park but its different when you drive through there. I'm mostly concerned about my car considering theres been hundreds of stolen cars and larcenies recorded. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 05:33 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
I bought a house 1.5 blocks north of Patterson Park almost one year ago and haven't had any problems. My neighbors are friendly, and I'm quite happy with my decision. And you can't beat the Park itself.

A woman who teaches at the charter school did have her driver-side window of her brand new Beetle smashed in front of my house--the thief stole her GPS which was noticeably on display--but that's been my only direct, really semi-direct, experience with crime. (And anyone living in Baltimore will tell you not to leave anything in the car, let alone something that valuable. And yes, I know one should be able to, but that's the way it is.)

Hope that helps.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:25 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,429,236 times
Default Hmmm...Think it over..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolgyrl View Post
My job is relocating me from Houston to Baltimore and sent me out there last week to check out the area and find a place to live. I am now more lost than I was before I went there! The area is soooo sketchy. One block would look awesome and two blocks across was a ghetto scene. I'm looking to rent and it seemed like every unit i saw was either in a bad area or missing amenities that i consider basic like a dishwasher, or a bathtub. I dont think my budget of $1100 for a 1 bdrm is too bad. I'm a single 26yr old with no kids and want to be close to all the action (i.e. restaurants, theaters, night spots)
Please, someone tell me where I should live or if I should avoid Baltimore all together and choose suburban living (which would kinda sucks cause i'm single )

ANY advice you have would be DEEPLY appreciated!!!
I live in Alaska and I just had to comment. I like reading the other States and Cities posts. If it were me, I would definitely not even consider being moved there by my job. If they are insistent on the relocation, I'd find another job first.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 04-17-2008 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: to add

Old 04-18-2008, 05:50 AM

156 posts, read 786,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stimpy View Post
Speaking of young people with no children, a friend and I are looking at a row home up for rent, about a block north of Patterson Park but south of Route 40 (the crappiest road ever). Circumstances have me desperate for a cheap apartment temporarily but this place is immaculate inside and nicely refinished. I'm used to Columbia MD so parking and security are now more of a concern.

I went to the following site:
Baltimore Crime Map - Baltimore Police Department (BPD) Official Web Site - City of Baltimore, Maryland
(very helpful, if you want to psych yourself out)

I'm not sure if I want to commit to a 1 year lease in this area. I dunno what to expect ... I keep hearing positive things about Patterson Park but its different when you drive through there. I'm mostly concerned about my car considering theres been hundreds of stolen cars and larcenies recorded. Any suggestions?
I keep reading on this forum that "regular" people don't have to worry about that stuff. It's just druggies victimizing druggies. So I wouldn't be concerned and Patterson Park is wonderful.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:08 AM

181 posts, read 633,417 times
Life is full of tradeoffs. If you want cheap in rental housing here, it usually increases your risks. Baltimore is often hyper-segregated for safety: one block is good; a couple of blocks away is bad. People around Patterson Park, where I grew up, are just enamored with it; it's ok most of the time, especially during the day and when there are special events.
My advice to anyone: With a couple minor exceptions, don't look north of Baltimore Street. It's like the DMZ. And the farther north you go, the the worse it gets.

Several months ago, before the bottom fell out of the housing market, one could drive west on Baltimore Street: when you got to Patterson Park Avenue, and turned right (south), the area was booming, with lots of scaffolds and new renovation. If you turned left (north), you have to wonder if you're in the same city--especially after dark.

By the way, Stimpy, one tenant told me that he doesn't like his wife coming home after dark, because of all the prostitutes working on Patterson Park Avenue (he sometimes has to shoo them away from his steps). A lot of the guys cruising for these gals can't or don't tell the difference between a working gal, and a professional working gal, if you know what I mean (especially if they've had a few).

So, my suggestion is to look a little harder and longer. You didn't say your price range or your other needs, but you need to consider all your factors. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:17 AM

234 posts, read 1,062,597 times
Prepare for house and car break-ins. Steal bars on the windows, a good alarm and security door will be helpful. Also, carry pepper spray. It saved me a few times in Baltimore and I'm six-four and ugly! Don't leave anything in your car. I have a friend who's window was broken in so a crack-head could steal a bottle of water that she left behind. Don't even think about having a nice car stereo. That would disappear in less than a week. Good luck.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,600 times
I'm actually looking at a place 1.5 blocks directly north of the park Helenejen seems to not have any complaints (Thanks for the info!). I think I'm going to take a stab it, no pun intended... I'm optimistic, besides, that's what car insurance is for right?

The place has a home security system and I'm thinking about putting up a few motion detection lights to scare away any bums... My options are limited so it looks I will have to make do, thanks for the response medfieldbum.

I know what you're talkin about Streetchie. I usually lock my **** in the trunk of my car. I have built in GPS in my Honda so not much I can do about that... thanks for the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by medfieldbum View Post
Life is full of tradeoffs. If you want cheap in rental housing here, it usually increases your risks. Baltimore is often hyper-segregated for safety: one block is good; a couple of blocks away is bad. People around Patterson Park, where I grew up, are just enamored with it; it's ok most of the time, especially during the day and when there are special events.
My advice to anyone: With a couple minor exceptions, don't look north of Baltimore Street. It's like the DMZ. And the farther north you go, the the worse it gets.

Several months ago, before the bottom fell out of the housing market, one could drive west on Baltimore Street: when you got to Patterson Park Avenue, and turned right (south), the area was booming, with lots of scaffolds and new renovation. If you turned left (north), you have to wonder if you're in the same city--especially after dark.

By the way, Stimpy, one tenant told me that he doesn't like his wife coming home after dark, because of all the prostitutes working on Patterson Park Avenue (he sometimes has to shoo them away from his steps). A lot of the guys cruising for these gals can't or don't tell the difference between a working gal, and a professional working gal, if you know what I mean (especially if they've had a few).

So, my suggestion is to look a little harder and longer. You didn't say your price range or your other needs, but you need to consider all your factors. Life is full of tradeoffs.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 AM

156 posts, read 786,750 times
"By the way, Stimpy, one tenant told me that he doesn't like his wife coming home after dark, because of all the prostitutes working on Patterson Park Avenue (he sometimes has to shoo them away from his steps). A lot of the guys cruising for these gals can't or don't tell the difference between a working gal, and a professional working gal, if you know what I mean (especially if they've had a few)."

Very interesting. I live fairly close to Pattersen park and don't think I 've ever seen a prostitute. Maybe I'm one of those who can't recognize them. I'm surprised at all the talk about window bars and car break-ins. Wow.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:17 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
I have been in the Patterson Park area (Baltimore Street) for quite awhile and have never had an issue that I couldn't deal with. My car has been fine along with my home. My neighbors are great and we look out for one another. I walk it during the day all the time and often at night. I love the neighborhood and see it going nowhere but up as more and more homes are fixed up. It has it's rough edges and sometimes the kids can be rowdy. But, that goes with city living. And yes, the girls still ply their trade on Baltimore Street and Patterson Park Avenue. I guess if all of that is so awful, I should just crawl in some cave and live there for the rest of my life.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:39 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,603,285 times
Hmmm, should I be offended then that I've never been solicited by someone in a passing car?

But seriously, someone, even a drunk someone, can't tell the difference between a prostitute and a non-prostitute? The prostitutes I've seen in Baltimore typically have drug problems as well, and the drugs certainly give the ladies a hardened look that is like no other.

Also, there are currently 3 rehabs going on on my block, and a rehab a few doors down that was finished in December had a buyer before it was done.

And, Stimpy, the GPS that was stolen was a portable one, if that helps at all. No idea why the woman with the Beetle hadn't taken it with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by medfieldbum View Post

Last edited by helenejen; 04-18-2008 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore