Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:48 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe someone else needs to manage the M's and get rid of some deadweight. Still, I'm remembering times when they could have done it, namely 1995, 1997, 2000-2003. 2002-2003 they won 93 games each and still didn't go to the playoffs, but at least it was respectable. I'm still waiting and hoping for the year Seattle goes to the World Series. Living in the Atlanta area and being a Mariners fan, I've basically become something of a laughingstock to some people. Bad enough many people hate on the city of Seattle in general. However, being in Braves country, I basically stick out like a sore thumb. I was made fun of in middle school for being a Mariners fan. This is part of why I'm so upset these days. I'm not going to root for the Braves because I'm in Atlanta. I don't like the Braves, period. Never have. I root for the M's. If I wasn't a fan, I wouldn't be so upset.
CHC, CLE, TEX, HOU, MIL, SD, and WSH have all been waiting for WS win longer.

CHC and WSH have been waiting for WS appearance longer.

WSH, KC, PIT, TOR, and BAL have longer playoff droughts. Nobody not named Lou Piniella has ever taken the M's to the playoffs.

Here in Denver, people don't even seem to know the Mariners exist. Ditto for people in Southern CA, unless they're more-than-casual Angels fans. It's probably like that most places outside of the NW.

Our time will come. My fandom was finally validated this year in the NHL. I expect the same for the M's at some point in my lifetime.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:47 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
CHC, CLE, TEX, HOU, MIL, SD, and WSH have all been waiting for WS win longer.

CHC and WSH have been waiting for WS appearance longer.

WSH, KC, PIT, TOR, and BAL have longer playoff droughts. Nobody not named Lou Piniella has ever taken the M's to the playoffs.

Here in Denver, people don't even seem to know the Mariners exist. Ditto for people in Southern CA, unless they're more-than-casual Angels fans. It's probably like that most places outside of the NW.

Our time will come. My fandom was finally validated this year in the NHL. I expect the same for the M's at some point in my lifetime.
But CHC, KC, PIT, TOR, and BAL have also been the World Series and won. CLE, TEX, HOU, MIL, and SD have been waiting for a World Championship. I understand that. The Mariners have NEVER in franchise history been to the World Series. Neither has WSH(and WSH used to be MTL). So far, in the American League, the M's are the ONLY team that hasn't made a trip to the World Series. TOR might have a long playoff drought, but they won the World Series, twice, and the first time, the beat the Atlanta Braves

I keep having these visions of the M's winning the World Series. I will keep waiting for that day to come. I bought a Seattle Mariners freezer glass for a reason(the store in the mall had to order it because in Atlanta, Cubs stuff, Red Sox stuff, is carried there, but NO Mariners stuff other than hats).

And the Expos/Nationals franchise might have a long drought, and Pittsburgh too. However, the way things are looking, Pittsburgh and Washington will go to the playoffs this year. Pittsburgh is in a position to be a wild card team or they could pass Cincinnati and get first place in the NL Central. The Nationals are in first place in the NL East. Seattle is dead last in the AL West for the third year in a row and there are only 2 teams doing worse than Seattle: Kansas City and Minnesota.

On a nicer note, the 2000s were successful for the M's. Seattle's first season with over 100 wins(tied for the record for regular season wins) in 2001. The only decade for the M's with 4 consecutive seasons with 90 or more wins. 6 out of 10 seasons were winning seasons.

Last edited by green_mariner; 07-27-2012 at 09:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
On a nicer note, the 2000s were successful for the M's. Seattle's first season with over 100 wins(tied for the record for regular season wins) in 2001. The only decade for the M's with 4 consecutive seasons with 90 or more wins. 6 out of 10 seasons were winning seasons.
It's unfortunate too, that 2009 was a glimmer of hope, but yet back to the cellar they went.

I like the way Wedge manages most of the time (however, he does seem about as disinterested as Hargrove did), but when the talent isn't on the field, you can't win.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:10 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
Quote:
But CHC, KC, PIT, TOR, and BAL have also been the World Series and won. .
Should that count when the last WS win was 104 years ago? There isn't a soul alive that would have seen it and remember it! So the fact it happened is ancient history to any current fans and really is no different than rooting for a team who has never won a series.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:24 AM

I came across this book: Amazon.com: Shipwrecked: A Peoples' History of the Seattle Mariners (9781935347187): Jon Wells: Books

Apparently, this a history detailing a theory of why the Mariners have never been to the World Series.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,379,635 times
Whether or not a team wins a best-of-seven postseason series is not the best indicator of the team's worth. What do the 2001 Mariners, 1931 A's, '53 Dodgers and '54 Indians have in common? They are generally regarded as being among the greatest teams in history, despite not winning the World Series.

The parity in baseball is such that anyone can beat anyone else at a given time. As the playoff system becomes more convoluted, mediocrity is rewarded and success is punished increasingly. I think more and more fans will be reluctant to make a season long emotional and monetary commitment to their team, upon realizing that their team's chances of winning a championship are extremely slim, regardless of how strong the team may be.

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 07-30-2012 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: Sp.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:17 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I think more and more fans will be reluctant to make a season long emotional and monetary commitment to their team, upon realizing that their team's chances of winning a championship are extremely slim, regardless of how strong the team may be.
That would be balanced by other fans realizing that their team has a chance to be champions regardless of how mediocre the team is.

Sport fandom is like fishing, all it takes is a few nibbles to keep you going, even if you haven't landed any fish. The real excitement isn't winning, it is the chance of winning. That joy of final triumph would be greatly diluted if the odds of winning it had not been great. Without that higher probability of heartbreak, the sweetness of success is reduced.

There is nothing America loves more than the story of an underdog who makes good. As Tom Hanks noted in "A League of Their Own"....it is meant to be hard, it is the hard that makes it great.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 AM

It's been a while, but now, the M's have Cano. I don't know what to think about this. One hand, I would think the M's might to much better this season. On the other hand, I have to wonder. It isn't only about how much money you spend, it is the way you spend it.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I came across this book: Amazon.com: Shipwrecked: A Peoples' History of the Seattle Mariners (9781935347187): Jon Wells: Books

Apparently, this a history detailing a theory of why the Mariners have never been to the World Series.
I read this book after seeing this link, sometime in 2012 or 2013. It's written by the guy who publishes that knock-off Mariners program outside the stadium.

It was an excellent read, it detailed all the scandal, all the bad trades and draft picks, the history, and basically everything you did and didn't want to know about the current and past workings inside the front office and on the field.

I look at the Cano signing as nothing more than a slight glimmer of hope. "Proof" that they're trying. Cano won't get them to the playoffs by himself, and who knows how well his bat will work inside Safeco Field. He might get lazy, or he might be like A-Rod after he signed with Texas (). LOL, he could end up like Chone Figgins, or Albert Pujols. Or he could end up being the best signing in Mariners history, and all the young players will develop at exactly the right time, just in time for a deep playoff run.

There's nobody else in the lineup that will provide protection or help, their best shot is Kyle Seager, who might be one of the most underrated players in the league. Brad Miller and Mike Zunino may have bright futures. I've given up on Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley. Most of the young pitching looks very promising.

I'd consider a just under .500 year a big accomplishment for 2014.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I read this book after seeing this link, sometime in 2012 or 2013. It's written by the guy who publishes that knock-off Mariners program outside the stadium.

It was an excellent read, it detailed all the scandal, all the bad trades and draft picks, the history, and basically everything you did and didn't want to know about the current and past workings inside the front office and on the field.

I look at the Cano signing as nothing more than a slight glimmer of hope. "Proof" that they're trying. Cano won't get them to the playoffs by himself, and who knows how well his bat will work inside Safeco Field. He might get lazy, or he might be like A-Rod after he signed with Texas (). LOL, he could end up like Chone Figgins, or Albert Pujols. Or he could end up being the best signing in Mariners history, and all the young players will develop at exactly the right time, just in time for a deep playoff run.

There's nobody else in the lineup that will provide protection or help, their best shot is Kyle Seager, who might be one of the most underrated players in the league. Brad Miller and Mike Zunino may have bright futures. I've given up on Michael Saunders and Dustin Ackley. Most of the young pitching looks very promising.

I'd consider a just under .500 year a big accomplishment for 2014.
I didn't know the writer made knock off programs for the Mariners games. Then again, I haven't lived there since the 90s.

What I'm getting is that the front office doesn't really care about the fans. Once they got their new stadium, it was "whatever" after that.

Cano's signing might be a glimmer of hope. The question is this. Will it be worth the money? What will happen? Or will it all come together and Cano is just the thing that will be needed?

The question with the new talent is this. Will it all come together? One team I think about, is the 1979 Pittsburgh Pirates. The "We Are Family" Pirates. There was a big sense of "togetherness" that brought the team together. Yes, you had Willie Stargell and Dave Parker, the "superstars". However, the 1979 Pirates were not ran by super stars. It was an actual team. Former Pirates pitcher Kent Tekulve basically said "It's a family". Outfielder John Milner said "we're just like a family". I'm wondering if that could take place with the new young talent. Can it come together?The 2001 Mariners had Ichiro as its superstar. However, what I gathered from the 2001 Mariners, it was a team, it was a team coming together. 1995 worked the same way. Griffey was taken out by the famous wrist injury. The M's struggled a bit, but decided "we're gonna hang in there, we're gonna keep plugging away" and the team came together. And then when Griffey returned, the team staged a big come back, and on to the very first playoff in M's history. I watched "My Oh My" a few times. It was a team coming together. The team refused to lose or let the dream die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball