Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 12:03 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times

Advertisements

they cards will go deep into the post season if not all the way . they have a very good system over there from top to bottom and st Louis is rich in baseball history and great fan support. not a cards fan but I have always been impressed with their consistency being in a small market. they are the Yankees of the national league and I was a big fan of ozzie smith back in the day . I think I liked the old bush stadium better though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 12:08 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
A st.louis vs Detroit should be fun but a long way to go yet

Old 10-13-2013, 01:10 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
they cards will go deep into the post season if not all the way . they have a very good system over there from top to bottom and st Louis is rich in baseball history and great fan support. not a cards fan but I have always been impressed with their consistency being in a small market. they are the Yankees of the national league and I was a big fan of ozzie smith back in the day . I think I liked the old bush stadium better though.
That has been the case for many years, but is no assurance that they will win 7 of the next 13 games this month against the best opponents in baseball.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:17 PM

802 posts, read 1,682,595 times
Wow (all I have to say in regards to the game tonight). Just wow

Old 10-14-2013, 09:26 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
I am becoming disheartened when realizing my Bucs will likely be facing Wacha 6x/year for the foreseeable future.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:14 AM

8,632 posts, read 13,003,320 times
Is anyone picking the Dodgers to win game 3 tonight?

Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,052,722 times
That Boston-Detroit game 2 was amazing.

Tiger pitcher Scherzer had a no hitter going into the 6th inning. After 5 2/3 innings of no hit baseball he gave up two hits and one run to Boston. Scherzer went on to get Boston out without a hit in the 7th inning. After 108 pitches he was lifted by Leyland and didn't take the mound for the now-infamous bottom of the 8th inning.

By this time, end of 7 innings, the score was 5-1 Tigers, but the bottom dropped out for Detroit in the bottom of the 8th. Four Detroit relief pitchers allowed Boston to load the bases and score 4 runs to tie the game. The coup de grace was Ortiz' grand slam to tie the game at 5-5. The Detroit pitcher who served up that gopher ball was none other than Juaquin Benoit, the same pitcher who blew the no-hitter in the 9th inning of game one. Ouch. Tiger bullpen has been nothing short of dreadful in these two games.

The Tiger's 5th reliever (Porcello) gave up a leadoff single to Jonny Gomes who advanced to 2nd on a bad throw from shortstop Iglesias. Gomes went to third on a wild pitch. After almost fouling out to first (fan interference?) Saltalamacchia hit a walk off single to score Boston's winning run in the bottom of the 9th inning. Just about anytime you put the leadoff hitter on base in the bottom of the 9th against Boston (or the Yankees) it's an omen of bad things to come, and it did. A bad throw to first and a wild pitch turned a typical infield single into a man on 3rd with no outs.

IMO, Detroit beat itself last night equally as much as Boston beat them. Beating yourself seemed a theme in both Dodger losses so far in the NLCS.

ALCS is tied at 1-1 with game 3 Tuesday night in Detroit when Verlander will pitch for the Tigers.

Tonight, I'm looking forward to game 3 of the NLCS as the Cardinals play the Dodgers in Chavez Ravine with St Louis ahead 2-0 in the series. Will the Dodgers beat themselves again?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-14-2013 at 12:25 PM..

Old 10-14-2013, 04:48 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Default erin andrews

she took quite a load.

Erin Andrews gets Gatorade bath during Red Sox interview - YouTube

Old 10-14-2013, 05:19 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Default Jim Leyland Puzzler

Jim Leyland: Slam is on me
Quote:
Detroit Tigers manager Jim Leyland told reporters Monday he regrets not telling Joaquin Benoit to pitch carefully to Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz, whose eighth-inning grand slam Sunday night tied Game 2 at 5-5.

"I made a mistake that I take full responsibility for," Leyland said. "I should've reminded [Benoit] that we didn't want to Ortiz to beat us."
http://espn.go.com/mlb/playoffs/2013...e-2-grand-slam

Huh? If only Leyland had gone out to the mound and reminded Benoit that they didn't want Ortiz to beat them then he would not have surrendered the slam? Does that mean that Benoit knew this but forgot? Does it mean that Benoit thought that they did want Ortiz to beat them? Does it mean that Benoit was supposed to have walked Ortiz with the bases loaded? Does it mean that Benoit is the kind of pitcher who needs to be reminded that it is a bad idea to give up home runs when the bases are loaded?

If Leyland has the power to prevent home runs via reminders to his pitchers, shouldn't he be reminding them on every pitch?

Old 10-16-2013, 01:14 PM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
This has the potential to be the last day of the 2013 season with multiple games on TV (Cards Dodgers game 5, Red Sox Tigers game 4). The next 2 days will all be single games: Thursday Tigers Red Sox game 5, Friday game 6 Cardinals Dodgers if necessary. Saturday could be the last day of 2013 with a double header if the Tigers win 1 of the next 2 games to force a game 6 and the Dodgers can go 7 games with the Cardinals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball