Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:26 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times

Advertisements

I heard Bob Costas mention this idea on the Dan Patrick show. He said that it's not his plan. It was told to him by a National League GM.

Costas says that division winners don't have as much as an advantage as they should. And that this could be remedied by doing the following:

Instead of just having a one game playoff between wild card winners there would be a 3 game series over two days. The first day would be a double-header that is held at the home of the team with the better record. If either team wins both games then they move on. If one of them loses then the game is held the following night at the other team's ball park.

The day after this series ends the 5-game first round series begins. This gives the divisional winner with the top record a good advantage. The wild card team will have had to use their best pitchers to win the wild card series.

Another thing it does is make the race for the top record in the league worth fighting for. Getting that series against the wild card would be a much favorable draw.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 11:55 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
The wild card team will have had to use their best pitchers to win the wild card series. Another thing it does is make the race for the top record in the league worth fighting for. Getting that series against the wild card would be a much favorable draw.
But this happens already, the wild card team does use their best pitcher and everyone else in the bullpen which put advantage on the division winning team. The race for the top record in league is already important and switching to "this" format wouldn't change anything because teams are already trying to win the NL best record. IE the Dodgers V Cardinals. But I see what you are saying, I am fine with it either way, have the WC game a one game playoff or a 3 game series. It does not bother me at all that 2 wild cards teams have to play 1 more game to deiced the playoffs. Win your division, this current format puts the onus back on the division winners and hampers the WC teams, good in my book!.

Old 10-13-2013, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
But this happens already, the wild card team does use their best pitcher and everyone else in the bullpen which put advantage on the division winning team. The race for the top record in league is already important and switching to "this" format wouldn't change anything because teams are already trying to win the NL best record. IE the Dodgers V Cardinals. But I see what you are saying, I am fine with it either way, have the WC game a one game playoff or a 3 game series. It does not bother me at all that 2 wild cards teams have to play 1 more game to deiced the playoffs. Win your division, this current format puts the onus back on the division winners and hampers the WC teams, good in my book!.
No it doesn't. The WC team uses it's best pitcher. Not it's 2-3 best pitchers. With this format the WC team would be using their #1, #2, and possibly #3 starters in the WC series. For the 5 game series they would have to start the series with either their #3 or #4. This gives the top division winner a decisive advantage.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:45 AM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,691 times
Quote:
I heard Bob Costas mention this idea on the Dan Patrick show. He said that it's not his plan. It was told to him by a National League GM.

Costas says that division winners don't have as much as an advantage as they should. And that this could be remedied by doing the following:

Instead of just having a one game playoff between wild card winners there would be a 3 game series over two days. The first day would be a double-header that is held at the home of the team with the better record. If either team wins both games then they move on. If one of them loses then the game is held the following night at the other team's ball park.

The day after this series ends the 5-game first round series begins. This gives the divisional winner with the top record a good advantage. The wild card team will have had to use their best pitchers to win the wild card series.

Another thing it does is make the race for the top record in the league worth fighting for. Getting that series against the wild card would be a much favorable draw.

thoughts?
This will never happen.

An example: Baltimore and Seattle play in the Wild Card round. They play 2 games in Baltimore and they split them, so they have to fly out to Seattle for a game the next day. Lets say Baltimore wins and they have to play Boston in the ALDS which would require them to fly across the country again. Too much travel for such a short period of time and then when you throw in the double header teams would never go for it.

There already is plenty of incentive for a team to win its division. They get to have home field in at least the first round and they get more rest.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:11 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I like the old way with four division winners and no wildcard teams.

November baseball just seems weird to me.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:44 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
I can't see the Players Union agreeing to a doubleheader format like this. And I think owners would resist it due to doubleheaders generally mean less gate (even day/night). Not to mention at least one WC in each league would be a day game, so even TV might not like it.

Personally I see expansion to 32 teams in the not too distant future, and eight divisions of four teams with only the winners advancing - provided the Yankees & RedSox agree.

Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I can't see the Players Union agreeing to a doubleheader format like this. And I think owners would resist it due to doubleheaders generally mean less gate (even day/night). Not to mention at least one WC in each league would be a day game, so even TV might not like it.

Personally I see expansion to 32 teams in the not too distant future, and eight divisions of four teams with only the winners advancing - provided the Yankees & RedSox agree.
No way MLB will expand. Remember it was not long ago that they were seriously considering contraction. There is already a dearth of talent at the major league level, another 2 teams would essentially be a AAA squad.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
This will never happen.

An example: Baltimore and Seattle play in the Wild Card round. They play 2 games in Baltimore and they split them, so they have to fly out to Seattle for a game the next day. Lets say Baltimore wins and they have to play Boston in the ALDS which would require them to fly across the country again. Too much travel for such a short period of time and then when you throw in the double header teams would never go for it.

There already is plenty of incentive for a team to win its division. They get to have home field in at least the first round and they get more rest.
According to Bob Costas the GM that told him about the format said it is being considered. I'm not sure that I have the travel days right. There probably is a day off between the end of the series and the start of the 5 game series.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I like the old way with four division winners and no wildcard teams.

November baseball just seems weird to me.
yeah me too. I much prefer the system that was in place from 1969 to 1994. That was the best system where only great teams made the post-season and only division champs made it.

But we're stuck with the WC system now.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:27 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,809 times
Quote:
yeah me too. I much prefer the system that was in place from 1969 to 1994. That was the best system where only great teams made the post-season and only division champs made it.

But we're stuck with the WC system now.
Tell that to the 1993 Giants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball