Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 11:39 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,154,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
SAN FRANCISCO -- Gabe Kapler has been hired as manager of the San Francisco Giants, a month after being fired from the same job by the Philadelphia Phillies.

Kapler received a three-year contract to replace Bruce Bochy, who retired at the end of the season following 13 years and three championships with San Francisco.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...hy-replacement

As expected, Zaidi has selected an extremely progressive minded, metric oriented manager to replace Bruce Bochy. I never thought that Kapler was going to be a good fit with the Phillies because their front office isn't completely sold on the modern approach. That won't be the case with the Giants. Zaidi has installed progressive minded people at the GM and the manager levels.

If there are problems, it might be with the old guard who are still under contract for another two or three years. Buster Posey, Brandon Belt and Brandon Crawford have only ever played ML ball under Bochy, known widely as a player's manager but not someone who embraced modern metrics. They are, or should be, trade bait in Faidi's eyes, but probably are untradable due to their over valued contracts, advanced ages and declining skills. None of those three seem likley to be a part of the Giant's next contending team, yet they are also likely to remain fan favorites and the organization has always been sentimental about its heroes from the past. How they get treated may be the source of controversy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 03:27 PM

330 posts, read 179,310 times
Good luck with Gabe.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delunsa View Post
Good luck with Gabe.
I do not know how he will work out. From what I've read about him, he seems a Type A personality, and that will be an immense change from the low key Bruce Bochy.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:57 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,725,323 times
Kapler may be good at managing analytics, but he needs to work on managing people. Too many times, Phillies players didn't do basic things like run out hits or made really careless plays in the field or on the bases, and Kapler's response was inconsistent. In one case, he told the press he benched a player for lack of hustle but the player said he was told he was getting a regular night off.

Old 11-14-2019, 05:57 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,204,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I do not know how he will work out. From what I've read about him, he seems a Type A personality, and that will be an immense change from the low key Bruce Bochy.

Over the summer when the Phillies were losing a lot, I heard a post game on my local radio station with Gabe speaking to the press and he sounded like a type A personality as well as the other "A" - a 7 letter word that ends in an "e" lol!

Old 11-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Over the summer when the Phillies were losing a lot, I heard a post game on my local radio station with Gabe speaking to the press and he sounded like a type A personality as well as the other "A" - a 7 letter word that ends in an "e" lol!
I'm guessing that you don't mean "amiable." The guy he sort of reminds me of is Bobby Valentine, or a metric version of Bobby Valentine.

Old 11-14-2019, 11:30 AM

5,725 posts, read 4,708,818 times
I was shocked that Kapler got another shot. The heck with all the metrics and progressive baseball, dude just doesn't manage the game well. As a Braves fan, I've watched a lot of Phillies-Braves games. He left me scratching me head way more than once.

Old 11-15-2019, 06:08 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,204,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm guessing that you don't mean "amiable." The guy he sort of reminds me of is Bobby Valentine, or a metric version of Bobby Valentine.

Bobby Valentine (though he has "his own attributes") is a "cool dude" compared to Kapler IMO.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:27 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,700,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
I was shocked that Kapler got another shot. The heck with all the metrics and progressive baseball, dude just doesn't manage the game well. As a Braves fan, I've watched a lot of Phillies-Braves games. He left me scratching me head way more than once.
I think the only reason he did was because of Farhan. If Farhan isn't with the Giants or anybody else he probably takes at least a year off & hopefully gets a job as bench coach somewhere and starts the process over.

Farhan probably has always liked him a lot & I actually wouldn't be surprised if Farhan wanted him over Roberts back after 2015.

Old 11-16-2019, 09:48 PM

9,775 posts, read 7,491,769 times
After he (Kapler) brought in the reliever in 2018 without warming up, how long until he starts a starter without having that pitcher go through his regular pregame routine??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball