Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 05:35 PM
JL JL started this thread

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times

Advertisements

Rockets offering Scola, Battier, and Ariza for Bosh in sign/trade? God i hope not. Rockets are giving way too much.

Rockets offering Ariza, Battier, Scola in sign-and-trade deals - Sports Rumors - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 11:09 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Rockets offering Scola, Battier, and Ariza for Bosh in sign/trade? God i hope not. Rockets are giving way too much.

Rockets offering Ariza, Battier, Scola in sign-and-trade deals - Sports Rumors - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports
That would be insane. This is thing I don't like about S&Ts for big name players. It is never equal value. Houston would be struggling to to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot if they did that trade.

This is why all this "super team" talk never pans out. In a trade you have to give up too many good players to get one really good player. And as a straight up FA signing they want so much money there is not enough left to truly round out the roster. For example, having Wade and Bosh on one team sounds great. But you need other excellent role players. You need a quality bench. The Lakers and Celtics got to the Finals because they had overall better teams (at playoff time) than everyone else. They had systems in place that took advantage of their star players' strengths. But more importantly, their respective systems got the most out their role players. Houston would be giving away some very good role players in an attempt to be a "contender" out West.

The truth is none of these free agents want to take a real cut in salary, yet they want to be on a stacked team. It doesn't work that way. While Houston doesn't have the straight up cap space to sign Bosh, this is also about Bosh's desire for max money.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
That would be insane. This is thing I don't like about S&Ts for big name players. It is never equal value. Houston would be struggling to to stay in the hunt for a playoff spot if they did that trade.

This is why all this "super team" talk never pans out. In a trade you have to give up too many good players to get one really good player. And as a straight up FA signing they want so much money there is not enough left to truly round out the roster. For example, having Wade and Bosh on one team sounds great. But you need other excellent role players. You need a quality bench. The Lakers and Celtics got to the Finals because they had overall better teams (at playoff time) than everyone else. They had systems in place that took advantage of their star players' strengths. But more importantly, their respective systems got the most out their role players. Houston would be giving away some very good role players in an attempt to be a "contender" out West.

The truth is none of these free agents want to take a real cut in salary, yet they want to be on a stacked team. It doesn't work that way. While Houston doesn't have the straight up cap space to sign Bosh, this is also about Bosh's desire for max money.
Excellent points. When these free agents take max $, how is the team gonna have enough $ to sign other key role players. The bench is so important these days. It appears that the free agents are really about $ and not so on winning. Amare probably gonna take $100mil in NY and JJ taking $119mil in ATL. Bosh, Wade, and Lebron said winning is priority. If that is true, they should sign straight up and leave $ on the table.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:29 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,705,450 times
Joe Johnson's deal is a travesty. He is NOT a franchise player. At best, he's a second option or third option on a championship level team, but he's not a guy you give that amount of money to. He's, what, gotta be around 30 now right( haven't checked his age)? At this point, I'm inclined to think he's as good as he'll ever be, and at his best he's not good enough to build a team around and expect to get anywhere. Horrible deal( for Atlanta)...

I'd agree that if this guys were totally fixated on winning, they'd take a slight pay cut, fill out the roster, and go for gold. Winning brings its own financial awards. Look at Jordan, he was a major marketing force before he won, after he won he become an advertising God. There are rewards for winning rings not only in financial terms, but in legacy defining terms. Out of the big 3 agents, the one who seems most about winning is Wade. Bosh seems like he's mainly about the $$$, and Lebron seems like winning a title is a priority, but second to becoming some super mega global icon. What made Jordan, Magic, Bird icons? Winning titles. Lebron can make all the money he wants, his entire legacy will be of the most glorified and talented non-winner in the history of Basketball.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 PM

I have to applaude Dirk. He is the first free agent so far that has taken less $ in order for his team to get a good side kick for him to win a title. He signs for 80mil/4yr when he could've gotten 96.2mil/4yr. Clap Clap Clap!!

Sources: Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas Mavericks agree to four-year deal - ESPN Dallas

Old 07-04-2010, 10:08 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
I think Dallas should resign Haywood and try and go get Melo next year.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:54 AM

Anyone think Ray Allen is gonna leave the Celtics? I think he fits well with the system there though he should probably come off the bench due to his age. Limit his minutes during the regular season. I hope the Rockets would seriously take a look at him. He will most likely get the MLE.

Another great addition to any team would be Mike Miller. I wonder how much he is expecting salary wise? MLE? That guy is lights out from beyond 20ft. I haven't watched enough of him to know how his defense is though? Anyone want to fill that in for me?

Old 07-07-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Anyone think Ray Allen is gonna leave the Celtics? I think he fits well with the system there though he should probably come off the bench due to his age. Limit his minutes during the regular season. I hope the Rockets would seriously take a look at him. He will most likely get the MLE.

Another great addition to any team would be Mike Miller. I wonder how much he is expecting salary wise? MLE? That guy is lights out from beyond 20ft. I haven't watched enough of him to know how his defense is though? Anyone want to fill that in for me?
RAllen re-signs with Celts for 10mil/yr.

Well then. RT @STEIN_LINE_HQ Allen and Celts have agreed on two-year deal worth $10 million annually that includes player option in Year 2.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 PM

Brad Miller signs with Houston Rockets for 3yr/15mil deal.

Rockets sign Brad Miller to three-year contract | NBA Basketball | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Old 07-18-2010, 07:50 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,049,308 times
Quote:
Anyone want to make predictions on who goes where?
I predict LeBron will go to Miami and same for Bosh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball