Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 06:44 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah, I've pointed out before that many posters aren't old enough to have really seen Jordan in his prime and just sorta assume Kobe plays at a similar level.

Let's take a stroll down memory lane people.
Bulls 3rd Championship, finals vs. PHO

Michael Jordan 1992-93 Game Log | Basketball-Reference.com

6-games: Lowest pts 31, only one game shooting <50%

Carreer 49% shooter in the playoffs averaging over 33pts with 6 rebs and 6 assists
Wow. That's sick. Even for MJ those numbers are jaw dropping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Keep in mind that Jordan did this in a much tougher league than this soft league we have now.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Wow. That's sick. Even for MJ those numbers are jaw dropping.
Yeah and Kevin Johnson on PHO was no punk either.

Pippen averaged 20-9-8 that series too....and was the best defender on the court.
So many casual fans just have no idea how destructive Pippen was to opposing teams across all facets of the game.
Most don't remember that it was him hounding the crap out of magic johnson in the Bulls first finals appearance.
Not too many guys had the height, speed and arm length to give magic problems.

Last edited by Mathguy; 02-28-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 02-28-2012, 12:59 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,314,195 times
Now, I wonder if Kobe can break Kareem's Record

Old 03-02-2012, 11:07 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Well I'm glad he did retire because if he didn't and won again in 1994 I would have stopped watching the NBA.

I don't think no fan wants to see a NBA win a title 4 years in a row or more. That's why the Lakers were hated so much in the early 00's

Old 03-03-2012, 08:16 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well I'm glad he did retire because if he didn't and won again in 1994 I would have stopped watching the NBA.

I don't think no fan wants to see a NBA win a title 4 years in a row or more. That's why the Lakers were hated so much in the early 00's

Jordan and the Bulls did not have that type of backlash though... Jordan was regarded as hero not a villain. People loved watching him whether they liked the Bulls or not. You have to remember he got his butt kicked by the Celtics & Pistons before becoming a champioin. Because of this Jordan's perception was widely positive. He was truely an icon in every sense of the word...

Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
Jordan and the Bulls did not have that type of backlash though... Jordan was regarded as hero not a villain. People loved watching him whether they liked the Bulls or not. You have to remember he got his butt kicked by the Celtics & Pistons before becoming a champioin. Because of this Jordan's perception was widely positive. He was truely an icon in every sense of the word...
Well I didn't like watching him at all and during that time my favorite players were

Magic
Clyde the Glide
Chris Mullin
Hakeem
Barkley

Old 03-03-2012, 10:22 PM

78,426 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Well I didn't like watching him at all and during that time my favorite players were

Magic
Clyde the Glide
Chris Mullin
Hakeem
Barkley
Well....Pippen helped rape Magic.....Michael raped Clyde....they tag team barkley. LOL.

The funny part is that Pippens box scores aren't usually that jaw dropping if you only look at points.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:30 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
I'll play devils advocate and say, they wouldn't have won 2 championships in those years, 94 and 95.

-As great as the Bulls were in the 90's, I think it's a little bit of a stretch to say they would have won all the time (even with a rodman or better front line).

You had a lot of strong competition in the 90's. Rockets. Trailerblazers! Could have easily been a dynasty in another era. Knicks!

Ewing is one of the best players to never get a ring. It seems like a stretch to say, none of these guys would get a ring during the Jordan era. I think the competition was too stiff in the 90's for them to run over everybody.

But Jordan would have gotten close to the scoring title, or eclipse it.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:25 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

I think the competition was too stiff in the 90's for them to run over everybody.
Except they did just that. From 1991 to 1998, the Bulls won every year that Michael Jordan started the season. The Rockets managed to break through during the years Jordan was retired or played half a season. I'll play Devil's advocate alongside you and say in retrospect I don't think they'd have beaten the 1995 Rockets, not without Grant in the lineup and Rodman hadn't joined yet. I do think they'd have gotten past the Rockets in 1994. In fact, that 1994 Bulls team could have been absolutely stellar: a still in his prime Jordan, a rookie Kukoc, Grant and Pippen in their primes, B.J Armstrong developing into an excellent backcourt mate for M.J, and the majority of bench players from the prior seasons.

Besides Hakeem and David Robinson, the Bulls defeated teams with the following players enroute to a title in either an earlier playoff round or the finals:

Magic Johnson
Clyde Drexler
Charles Barkley
Kevin Johnson
Patrick Ewing
Mark Price
Brad Daugherty
Dominique Wilkins
Shaquille Oneal
Penny Hardaway
Shawn Kemp
Gary Payton
Glen Rice
Alonzo Mourning
Tim Hardaway
Reggie Miller
Karl Malone
John Stockton

That list, asides from a few notables, is a who's who of 90's Basketball. So, Jordan's Bulls did indeed run over just about everyone, the exceptions being Hakeem and the Admiral who couldn't get their teams out of the West to face the Bulls from 91-93 or 96-98.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball