Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Assume that the season ends, Lakers are .500 and miss the playoffs or get in and get blasted in the 1st round.

Kobe, Pau, MWP and Nash all still have another year on their contract so there is little hope of improvement there.

What do you do if you are Dwight Howard?

Re-up? He'd be likely staring at another wasted season and then possibly being stuck in the middle of a complete rebuild.

Demand a trade? What would the lakers be able to get? Where might he accept going?

Would you go to a team like the Clippers etc. for less than the max?

Just curious what you think he would do.

I personally have no idea.
I get the feeling he doesn't really like it there with the Lakers., I heard him talking about how the chemistry on and off court was something that the Clippers had and the Lakers did not have after they played each other the other night. He sounded like he had a hint of doubt about the Lakers in his future. I think he'll get away from the Lakers and take another direction if the scenario plays out the way you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,787,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Dwight stays. Unless the Lakers opt for Lebron in 2 years when Kobe retires, Dwight will be the face of the Lakers.
LeBron will most likely not be leaving Miami even after his contract ends, and if he does leave by chance I think he'd only go back to Cleveland or Brooklyn, but I really doubt he would want to leave Miami because of the taxes on his home, the opportunities at winning titles, and because the Heat organization feels like family compared to most other organizations.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:05 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,173,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
LeBron will most likely not be leaving Miami even after his contract ends, and if he does leave by chance I think he'd only go back to Cleveland or Brooklyn, but I really doubt he would want to leave Miami because of the taxes on his home, the opportunities at winning titles, and because the Heat organization feels like family compared to most other organizations.
LeBron will not leave Miami. If he is going to leave Miami, it will be another tax free state like Texas. Florida and Texas both happens to have no income tax, and have the best tax protector for individual. Good luck if you got sue in Cali or NY/NJ.

If you do the math, LeBron is at 20m/year, 50% go to federal, so he keeps about 10 m in Florida.

If he goes to LA, he will has to pay additional 10.55%, so that meant out of the 20 m, he only get to keeps 8m. If LA want to match it, LA would have to pay 25m/year.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:23 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,584,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
LeBron will not leave Miami. If he is going to leave Miami, it will be another tax free state like Texas. Florida and Texas both happens to have no income tax, and have the best tax protector for individual. Good luck if you got sue in Cali or NY/NJ.

If you do the math, LeBron is at 20m/year, 50% go to federal, so he keeps about 10 m in Florida.

If he goes to LA, he will has to pay additional 10.55%, so that meant out of the 20 m, he only get to keeps 8m. If LA want to match it, LA would have to pay 25m/year.
I don't think state taxes are that important to players of LeBron's caliber. His NBA legacy is most important. Winning titles and remaining the face of the league is what puts the money in his pocket. Wherever he has the best chance of doing that is where he will end up. Consider that Dwight Howard spent most of last year trying to get traded away from Orlando (no state income tax) to New York/New Jersey.

Plus, the math you have is not completely accurate. I don't know the exact formula, but players are paid per game. And games played in different states are taxed differently.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:49 AM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I don't think state taxes are that important to players of LeBron's caliber. His NBA legacy is most important. Winning titles and remaining the face of the league is what puts the money in his pocket. Wherever he has the best chance of doing that is where he will end up. Consider that Dwight Howard spent most of last year trying to get traded away from Orlando (no state income tax) to New York/New Jersey.

Plus, the math you have is not completely accurate. I don't know the exact formula, but players are paid per game. And games played in different states are taxed differently.
Just to clarify:

1) Yes, the games played in other states pay different rates.
2) The big part of the equation is the OTHER income from endorsements. Tiger woods saves millions a year compared to California.
3) Your point about titles etc. is the big part. A couple mil in taxes to a guy like Lebron is chump change AND winning more titles increases his endorsement cache for years and years to come and that's worth tons.

With all that said, I think talk of lebron to the Lakers is more wishful thinking and desperation than anything else.

I'd also note that Dwight didn't completely buy-in with the Lakers....he is free to leave after this year.

That's the whole genesis of this thread, I have no clue what Dwight will do....but I think we can all agree that it's fascinating given the power balance ramifications and of course the near-term future of the Lakers etc.

The Lakers are unquestionably a storied franchise, they are teetering on the lip of a quick rebuild or possibly a plunge into a loooong dark stretch depending on what strikes the fancy of a guy that has made some erratic choices in the past.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
What makes people really think he will stay? What have they done to convince him that they have a better chance of winning him a championship when they may not even make the playoffs?

Old 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
What makes people really think he will stay? What have they done to convince him that they have a better chance of winning him a championship when they may not even make the playoffs?
Word is Kobe made some comments to Dwight after the New years game which caused Dwight to have to be restrained by teamates.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:50 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Word is Kobe made some comments to Dwight after the New years game which caused Dwight to have to be restrained by teamates.
where did you hear that? i had not heard that.

im not even going to try to guess what he will do, guy has been wishywashy for 2-3 years now so i dont think HE even has any idea what he wants to do or where he wants to play. that said, leaving 20+ mil on the table (taxes be damned) is a tough pill to swallow unless he has some sort of guarantee that he is going to a better team with a real chance to win it all.

now on the other hand, putting him next to tim duncan with parker running pick and rolls with him or duncan would work out MUCH better then where he is now, and the spurs could get a max deal in there next season fairly easy. i also feel like pop, tony, tim and manu (who will surely sign for close to the midlevel next season) can get him in line quicker then kobe, artest, pau and the rash of coaches he will likely have in LA.

of course, the clippers will have a ton of room if they play their money right, and he LOVES chris paul.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,053 times
Dwight should go to the Rockets!

Old 01-07-2013, 02:59 PM

7,912 posts, read 10,086,275 times
so howard is out indefinitely with a torn labrum and pau is out the same with a concussion. looks like kobe to the rescue and more loses in the mean time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball