Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 07:02 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Not so much when you compare it to LA or Chicago, who could also put in max offers. Noone is arguing that there aren't more people to buy jerseys in NYC, merely stating that its a snowballs chance that he ends up there--due to circumstances beyond the population of the city.
Travel around the world and you know what you see? Yankee jerseys! Not Angels,Red Sox,Phillies,or Dodgers! Lebron expects the same if he were a Knick. People in other countries probably have his Cav jersey but it would be MUCH MORE as a Knick, so the population of the NY area is NOT the biggest issue.It's the press,and how big they make you nowadays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Travel around the world and you know what you see? Yankee jerseys! Not Angels,Red Sox,Phillies,or Dodgers! Lebron expects the same if he were a Knick. People in other countries probably have his Cav jersey but it would be MUCH MORE as a Knick, so the population of the NY area is NOT the biggest issue.It's the press,and how big they make you nowadays.
I honestly have seen 0 Yankee Jerseys in Europe. I think your arguements are a bit geocentric.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:35 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Quote:
Everything you are saying though you can not back up with a fact. This however is a fact, the Cavs can offer Lebron a longer and bigger contract than the Knicks can. And the Cavs already have a winning basketball team. They are thinking championship this year. The Knicks traded away future first round draft picks, so if they don't snag a Lebron or Wade/Bosh, they are screwed.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:48 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
You can't say baseball is Moot because any player can go to any team and all for similiar money.You also have to realize that i'm a HUGE supporter of small market teams and love when they go all the way. Cleveland was competitive with Price,Nance,Daugherty but most people didn't expect them to go all the way,so a chance to win it all makes me happy.Outside of the Yankees,the rest of my teams are considered small market,or small spenders(Golden State,Steelers,Islanders) but I can only state what I see and have an opinion based on it. Realistically Cleveland has been assembling a team to compliment Lebron and will continue to do so.If he did become a Knick they can stack the team but that doesn't mean that they will play well as a team.When teams like Seattle had Schrempf,and Kemp, and Portland had just gotten Pippen,those teams were stocked with talent but not enough role players. All were looking to score 20+ a game and it didn't work. The same could hold true if he does become a Knick. From a logical perspective,why would you leave a team that has been building,and you have experience playing together to go to a team that would have to learn each others ideosynchrocies? This would make sense but unfortunately i'll say it again. Lebron wants to be a bigger name even though he is huge all over the world now,and I think his perception is that NY will be the only place (not organization) that can do that for him.He saw what it did for CC Sabathia,and he'll probably be the next.
Really, that was painful to try to read and follow...

Because there is no cap, the YANKEES are perennial threats to win the WS and are constantly in the playoffs. Because they are always winning, you see their players getting a lot of attention.

The Knicks suck and have done so for a long time. You never hear about them in the news...never see thier jerseys and so on and so forth.

It's about winning, not market size in the internet era.

CC Sabathia? You are telling me it's because he came to play in NY and not the fact that they WON THE WORLD SERIES that he got attention? The guy nearly doubled the number of post-season pitching appearances in his career with one season with the Yankees.

Seriously dude, make the Yankees as crappy as the Knicks and finish 62-100 and it would be CC Sabathiwho?

Ok, I'm done here....really...pointing to the Yankees and Sabbathia after winning the WS. Let's just bump this thread after the season when no decent prospects come to the crap hole that is the Knicks.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:57 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Oh, what the heck, one more post...let's pound the nail in the coffin.

Especially read his comments, here is my favorite quote....

"...the fact that a Knicks player isn't on the decade list from the sales figures of a store located in Manhattan speaks volumes..."

News Headlines

Ouch! That is all.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Really, that was painful to try to read and follow...

Because there is no cap, the YANKEES are perennial threats to win the WS and are constantly in the playoffs. Because they are always winning, you see their players getting a lot of attention.

The Knicks suck and have done so for a long time. You never hear about them in the news...never see thier jerseys and so on and so forth.

It's about winning, not market size in the internet era.

CC Sabathia? You are telling me it's because he came to play in NY and not the fact that they WON THE WORLD SERIES that he got attention? The guy nearly doubled the number of post-season pitching appearances in his career with one season with the Yankees.

Seriously dude, make the Yankees as crappy as the Knicks and finish 62-100 and it would be CC Sabathiwho?

Ok, I'm done here....really...pointing to the Yankees and Sabbathia after winning the WS. Let's just bump this thread after the season when no decent prospects come to the crap hole that is the Knicks.
After they signed Sabathia but before he pitched a game for them he was covered more than in his entire career.Let me keep it simple for you because apparently you have proven I have to do this.Do you think if Lebron came to NY that they would win more games? Obviously they would,so they would not be a loser franchise any longer. So comparing Cleveland with Lebron vs. the Knicks without him is assinine,use your head.You are right about one thing,that winning grabs the attention but acquiring Lebron would do exactly that no matter who the suporting cast is.So if you want to compare apples to apples answer this: If he is on Cleveland and they win 50-60,and now he is on the Knicks and they win 50(i'll go low),do you think he will get more press and sell more jerseys,etc ...in NY? Yes,he would. Face it,you can't stand the idea of him in NY and despise it but can't give an honest opinion.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Everything you are saying though you can not back up with a fact. This however is a fact, the Cavs can offer Lebron a longer and bigger contract than the Knicks can. And the Cavs already have a winning basketball team. They are thinking championship this year. The Knicks traded away future first round draft picks, so if they don't snag a Lebron or Wade/Bosh, they are screwed.
What are you talking about? The Knicks can offer the SAME max contract to Lebron but in a better sports market.You are right that they are screwed if they don't sign top notch free agents this year but the Knicks right now have the most to offer in free agent money.I do also agree that it would make more sense to stay with Cleveland and if you read my posts word for word you'd see that.I am a Golden State Warrior fan and have previously stated that I am not at all a Knick fan,and why someone would leave a good organization that's doing the right thing makes no sense; but like I also stated before,the guys an egomaniac and wants to be bigger than Kobe in worldwide recognition,and he wont be as a Cav even if they win it all,but as a Knick he stands a better chance. The other fact is that as a prior member of the armed forces I got to travel all over the world including stops on almost every continent including europe and asia,and of all the sports jersey that I saw, 9 out of every 10 sports jerseys that came from the states were Yankee jerseys while the others were random. Obviously most others were for alot of soccer teams(international).

Old 03-19-2010, 09:27 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Im taking the same route as you Mathguy, no point debating with people who think they know what the next mans gonna do.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:32 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,485,004 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? The Knicks can offer the SAME max contract to Lebron but in a better sports market.You are right that they are screwed if they don't sign top notch free agents this year but the Knicks right now have the most to offer in free agent money.I do also agree that it would make more sense to stay with Cleveland and if you read my posts word for word you'd see that.I am a Golden State Warrior fan and have previously stated that I am not at all a Knick fan,and why someone would leave a good organization that's doing the right thing makes no sense; but like I also stated before,the guys an egomaniac and wants to be bigger than Kobe in worldwide recognition,and he wont be as a Cav even if they win it all,but as a Knick he stands a better chance. The other fact is that as a prior member of the armed forces I got to travel all over the world including stops on almost every continent including europe and asia,and of all the sports jersey that I saw, 9 out of every 10 sports jerseys that came from the states were Yankee jerseys while the others were random. Obviously most others were for alot of soccer teams(international).
Yo Lance, I think the hardest part about understanding your points is the fact you do not use spaces between your periods and commas. I am not sure if you are posting from a mobile or what, but I think you should make the space bar your friend. For real, I think you are a solid part of the sports CD community, but your style of typing though puts me on tilt. just my humble opinion, keep on keeping on brotha.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:00 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
The Knicks have a much better chance of getting Joe Johnson than LBJ, Wade, or Bosh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball