Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:34 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times

Advertisements

Lets be real. What teams in the next five years have a better chance at getting to the Finals than where he is at now? Only the LA Lakers, and he is not going to share the same court with Kobe. Leaving his hometown team to go to Denver, San Antonio, or Orlando would result in the exact same chance to win a title he has now with the Cavs. It would take NYK 5 yrs to even get to the Finals with Lebron.

I think IF Cleveland doesn't win the Finals this year Lebron will sign a short term contract (2 or 3 years). If they still can't win it all then he will leave. If he wants to be a ring chaser he could always pull a Karl Malone and join the Lakers in his last year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 10:22 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,140,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
It's more about who LBJ will be playing with to win it all, than whose team he will be on.
There is nobody for him to play with in NY.
I can imagine him going in Orlando to play with D Howard , because they could win title
on first year there. How long would it take him in NY ? Few yrs ? Never ?
When you the best , you go play with the best and NY is not it.
Him and DH would be like Kobe and Shaq back in the day.

And why would he leave winning team for the loser team in the first place ????
He would leave a winning team to go to a losing team because that's what Kevin Garnett did when he approved the trade to Boston. And how did that work out? A very quick championship! If NY gets Lebron they will transform that team for him.They will probably add another big name and keep a guy like David Lee because he is a workhorse.Take a look at their roster.They have alot of guys like Larry Hughes who would be perfect role players and with a good draft pick after this year,they can fill in a little more.I'm not a Knicks fan but they are alot closer then people think,especially if they added Lebron and either Wade or Bosh.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,026,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
He would leave a winning team to go to a losing team because that's what Kevin Garnett did when he approved the trade to Boston. And how did that work out? A very quick championship! If NY gets Lebron they will transform that team for him.They will probably add another big name and keep a guy like David Lee because he is a workhorse.Take a look at their roster.They have alot of guys like Larry Hughes who would be perfect role players and with a good draft pick after this year,they can fill in a little more.I'm not a Knicks fan but they are alot closer then people think,especially if they added Lebron and either Wade or Bosh.
Garnett went from a bad Minnesota team - I wouldn't consider a 43-11 Cavalier team, not to mention coming off a 66-win season and trip to the Eastern Conf. Finals a "bad" or "losing" team - to a Boston team that not only acquired him, but Ray Allen & James Posey (they don't win that title without him) - not to mention, the season before Paul Pierce missed 35 games. So they already had a top 10-15 player in the league in Pierce, and they added 2 All-Stars, plus a clutch player in Posey. The Bricks don't have a top 10 player right now - David Lee is their best player and he might be in the top 25. And with the Salary cap set to be lowered by 5 or so million this coming season, there is no way after signing Lebron that they could add another top 15 player like Bosh unless he (or Lebron) agreed not to take a max-salary. And Larry Hughes?? Really? Did you not see how he and Lebron did when they played together for a couple seasons in Cleveland? While they did make the Finals in 07, it was b/c Lebron had an unbelievable series in Detroit, not b/c Larry Hughes shot 40% from the field for the season & 35% in the playoffs.

The NBA is not like the MLB where the Yankees can just sign the 3 best players on the market in a given off-season. The salary cap has such an impact on how teams can maneuver, you also have to remember that the Celts had the available cap space to pull off a deal like they did in 2007 - something the Bricks don't have.

If the Cavs pull of this Amare deal, they are going to have a very good chance at the title as they will have the weapons to win a 7-game series w/Orlando, Boston and especially the Lakers. And if they can get Amare to sign a contract extension while they're at it, forget about Lebron going anywhere, why would he??

Old 02-15-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Garnett went from a bad Minnesota team - I wouldn't consider a 43-11 Cavalier team, not to mention coming off a 66-win season and trip to the Eastern Conf. Finals a "bad" or "losing" team - to a Boston team that not only acquired him, but Ray Allen & James Posey (they don't win that title without him) - not to mention, the season before Paul Pierce missed 35 games. So they already had a top 10-15 player in the league in Pierce, and they added 2 All-Stars, plus a clutch player in Posey. The Bricks don't have a top 10 player right now - David Lee is their best player and he might be in the top 25. And with the Salary cap set to be lowered by 5 or so million this coming season, there is no way after signing Lebron that they could add another top 15 player like Bosh unless he (or Lebron) agreed not to take a max-salary. And Larry Hughes?? Really? Did you not see how he and Lebron did when they played together for a couple seasons in Cleveland? While they did make the Finals in 07, it was b/c Lebron had an unbelievable series in Detroit, not b/c Larry Hughes shot 40% from the field for the season & 35% in the playoffs.

The NBA is not like the MLB where the Yankees can just sign the 3 best players on the market in a given off-season. The salary cap has such an impact on how teams can maneuver, you also have to remember that the Celts had the available cap space to pull off a deal like they did in 2007 - something the Bricks don't have.

If the Cavs pull of this Amare deal, they are going to have a very good chance at the title as they will have the weapons to win a 7-game series w/Orlando, Boston and especially the Lakers. And if they can get Amare to sign a contract extension while they're at it, forget about Lebron going anywhere, why would he??
What the hell are you talking about? Lebron has been a Cav and we were discussing the possibility of him leaving to go to a lesser team. That is EXACTLY what Garnett did.Garnett became a Celtic for the 2007-08 season.The year before that the timberwolves were 32-50 while the Celtics were 24-58.So yes,he went from a bad team to a worse team. You can't mention adding players because that is EXACTLY what the Knicks would do.Right now they are trying to trade away guys like Jeffries who have longer contracts.They are also exploring adding McGrady who is very good when healthy.Their current core of Duhon, Gallinari, Al Harrington, D.Lee, Nate Robinson, Cutino Mobley,and L. Hughes is definitely not bad but they too would be adding. I think the move would be stupid for Lebron but he wants a bigger celebrity status then what he has in Cleveland, and a status that only a place like NY can supply. It would probably take longer for him to win a championship in NY because adding a star doesn't guarantee anything and who knows if everyone can play well as a team but I still see it happening.Acquiring a guy like Amare would help Cleveland because Shaq is now just a name and not a force like he was,where Amare is a machine and would immediately help.If they can get Amare and sign him to an extension,I think that might be the only thing that would keep Lebron there.Otherwise there is no doubt in my mind that he will be gone.As far as cap space goes,that's what trades are for and the Knicks will position themselves to make the necessary acquisitions and yes even in the NBA you can have the 3 best players even though the system is different but balanced a little better.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 PM

5,289 posts, read 7,486,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Lebron has been a Cav and we were discussing the possibility of him leaving to go to a lesser team. That is EXACTLY what Garnett did.Garnett became a Celtic for the 2007-08 season.The year before that the timberwolves were 32-50 while the Celtics were 24-58.So yes,he went from a bad team to a worse team.
The point is that comparing KG going to Boston is not a comparable scenario to LeBron going to the Knicks, at all. KG was on a Minny team that was not even close to a title contender, while LBJ is on the clear favorite to come out of the east. KG went to a team with a top tier player, and a historically winning franchise --which matters especially in the NBA-- while in your scenario LBJ would be going to a mismanaged trainwreck of a team. KG was what, 30 years old at the time of the deal, while LBJ is 5 years younger. And lets not forget that Minny had a GM that was dying to give KG to Boston, and the Cavs GM will give his first born to keep LBJ.

Quote:
Duhon, Gallinari, Al Harrington, D.Lee, Nate Robinson, Cutino Mobley,and L. Hughes is definitely not bad
Uhh, yeah they are. Duhon and Larry Hughes are especially terrible. Lee is the only one there that is worth even mentioning.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
The point is that comparing KG going to Boston is not a comparable scenario to LeBron going to the Knicks, at all. KG was on a Minny team that was not even close to a title contender, while LBJ is on the clear favorite to come out of the east. KG went to a team with a top tier player, and a historically winning franchise --which matters especially in the NBA-- while in your scenario LBJ would be going to a mismanaged trainwreck of a team. KG was what, 30 years old at the time of the deal, while LBJ is 5 years younger. And lets not forget that Minny had a GM that was dying to give KG to Boston, and the Cavs GM will give his first born to keep LBJ.

Uhh, yeah they are. Duhon and Larry Hughes are especially terrible. Lee is the only one there that is worth even mentioning.
When KG went to Boston they were bringing in a bunch but he was still going to a BAD team.History means nothing because the Knicks too have a nice history.The point about the owners though,absolutely true.The Dolans turn everything they touch to crap,but a guy like Lebron can turn around an organization and with a few more players they could lead their division. It's true that Cleveland has tailor made the team for him and are continuing to do that but I still don't see him staying.Everyone claims of their commitment to winning as their #1 goal,but I just don't believe it with him and soon enough I think it will be confirmed.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:28 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,936,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post

Larry Hughes is f****** terrible. LeBron isn't going to win anything with the Knicks right away. He's looking at two or three years minimum before they are a contender even with him.

I for one think if we sign Amare and can extend him past next year there si no way LeBron leaves.

That being said I don't see David Stern allowing it to happen. My gut tells me we lose LeBron.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Larry Hughes is f****** terrible. LeBron isn't going to win anything with the Knicks right away. He's looking at two or three years minimum before they are a contender even with him.

I for one think if we sign Amare and can extend him past next year there si no way LeBron leaves.

That being said I don't see David Stern allowing it to happen. My gut tells me we lose LeBron.
I do think Amare could really help.Even if you added Maggette from my Warriors,he would help too and he is a great morale guy too besides what he does on the court.I'll say it again though.You can't guarantee it would take 2-3 years because Boston did it immediately when they overhauled the roster.I do hope he stay because otherwise it could be devestating for the Cleveland franchise but I do see him leaving too.Stern likes when big names are in big places,but I like when smaller markets can hold their own financially and on the court which usually runs hand and hand.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:23 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
My pea-brained view is that it doesn't seem too far out of the envelope that the guy would want to stay in his home state, playing for a team that is, for the foreseeable future anyway, a perennial title contender where he can basically name his price. I think he's a competitor and he wants to win games more than sell tickets - the Cavs organization seems committed to building around him and doing just that. We'll see.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Well the Knicks did their part and now have more money than "ANY" team to sign 2 players to max contracts this year coming up.Unless Cleveland wins it this year,I think he's gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball