Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:15 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

If he doesn't stay in Cleveland I actually think he'll end up in Denver. He is great friends with Carmelo Anthony and the Nuggets are one great player away from multiple championships.

Lebron has been in the league 7 years now. I think his main concern for 2010 is where he can win multiple titles - he doesn't want to be the next Carl Malone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
If he doesn't stay in Cleveland I actually think he'll end up in Denver. He is great friends with Carmelo Anthony and the Nuggets are one great player away from multiple championships.

Lebron has been in the league 7 years now. I think his main concern for 2010 is where he can win multiple titles - he doesn't want to be the next Carl Malone
The west is too tough and he wants to be in a big market.I agree that with him Denver would be huge but it aint gonna happen. NY!

Old 01-26-2010, 07:11 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,657,733 times
Im in Colorado Springs, but i am from Cleveland. I would like him to stay in Cleveland as a Cavs fan, but who knows where he'll end up.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Karl Malone
FYP. I say if LeBron wins a title this year he stays in Cleveland about 90% of the time. If they get bounced in the EC playoffs I say it is 75% he leaves. If they get bounced in the finals I say it is 50% that he leaves. Thats just me and their was nothing scientific to that.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Do any non-Cleveland residents think LeBron is staying with Cleveland this year? I don't see why he would stay in Cleveland. I'm not a Cavs fans nor do I have any conncetion to Ohio, but I would like to see him remain in Cleveland but I don't see any reason why he would stay there. The money, fame and ability to win a championship is in New York. The Knicks will have a great draft pick, they have a great coach, great crowd, more money and cap space to hire another top free agent. Why would LeBron stay?

As for cleveland? I don't know 50/50 on that one.

Why I'm 99.9% certain he won't go to the Knicks:
1) Knicks are saddled with a number of bad players with cap eating, longer contracts. (Isaih legacy)
2) They don't have a great crowd, they have impatient jerks that will boo you during a slump and a media that will carve you up with glee if you don't win a championship fast...and then more on top of that. (The Yankees spoiled that by buying a number of championships in a cap-free environment, but hey they had a strike and then a bunch of homeruns to bring back fans too. ).
3) Thier ownership makes BAD decisions. Look at the last 15 years. Do you trust this will change? I wouldn't.
4) Better options. There are a number of other teams out there that he could walk onto and create a powerhouse instantly. Orlando pops to mind, imagine him with Howard?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
As for cleveland? I don't know 50/50 on that one.

Why I'm 99.9% certain he won't go to the Knicks:
1) Knicks are saddled with a number of bad players with cap eating, longer contracts. (Isaih legacy)
2) They don't have a great crowd, they have impatient jerks that will boo you during a slump and a media that will carve you up with glee if you don't win a championship fast...and then more on top of that. (The Yankees spoiled that by buying a number of championships in a cap-free environment, but hey they had a strike and then a bunch of homeruns to bring back fans too. ).
3) Thier ownership makes BAD decisions. Look at the last 15 years. Do you trust this will change? I wouldn't.
4) Better options. There are a number of other teams out there that he could walk onto and create a powerhouse instantly. Orlando pops to mind, imagine him with Howard?
I'm a NYer but not a Knicks fan.Most of their bad contracts will be gone after this year so you're wrong.They don't have a great crowd now because they have a bunch of scrubs.If they sign Lebron,they will sellout for the whole season within hours.The media can be tough in NY but if you're performing they also put you on a pedestal and create a supremebeing out of you.Don't ever say the Yanks bought championships. The core of the teams that won in the 90's and even this year was homegrown.The Yanks like most big market teams add free agents as needed,just like the Red Sox,Mets,Angels,Dodgers and everyone else.They just made better choices this year.As for the homeruns that brought back fans,that was McGwire and Sosa;so check your history.The Knicks do have bad ownership.The Dolan's are like a cancer,but putting Lebron or Jordan in his prime,or Kobe on any team and that team will make the playoffs as a minimum which is something that hasn't been an easy task for the Knicks lately.Orlando might come to mind for you but you're missing the point.Lebron is a media ***** and thrives on the attention.He wants a HUGE market with all the attention and talk shows. Orlando and Cleveland CANNOT provide that.I'll say it again. I AM NOT A KNICKS FAN. So I am not biased but reality is staring most people in the face. MSG has great history and NY is bigger then anywhere else for an athlete including Los Angeles.After signing Lebron they will open the checkbook for whoever else wants to come.Watch as they try to follow what the Celtics did a couple of years ago.Expect to see Lebron and maybe adding a Wade,or Bosh,and don't be surprised if they trade for Amare too. They will also have a good pick next year which they can trade or use to fill in. They will be in a good position and will be aggressive.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I'm a NYer but not a Knicks fan.Most of their bad contracts will be gone after this year so you're wrong.They don't have a great crowd now because they have a bunch of scrubs.If they sign Lebron,they will sellout for the whole season within hours.The media can be tough in NY but if you're performing they also put you on a pedestal and create a supremebeing out of you.....After signing Lebron they will open the checkbook for whoever else wants to come.Watch as they try to follow what the Celtics did a couple of years ago.Expect to see Lebron and maybe adding a Wade,or Bosh,and don't be surprised if they trade for Amare too. They will also have a good pick next year which they can trade or use to fill in. They will be in a good position and will be aggressive.
1) Most <> all contracts. If they can move Curry then that helps them a lot...but they have almost 20million of dead weight still. This would mean that yeah, they can sign Lebron BUT (and he would know this) they'd be short the funds to really pack a lot more free agent talent around him. The fact the cap space didn't go up REALLY hurts a deeper pocket team like the Knicks.

2) Yes, there are a ton of fair weather fans...on that I agree.

3) The NY Knicks and their fans have been delusional for well over a decade about how everyone would want to play there and that so and so free agent would turn things around. Much like a crack addict they've escaped their current misery with hallucinations of Lebron (or others before him) coming to save them from their current sad state.

Don't you remember the Kobe to the Knicks stuff back in 2007?

I think Bosh states it best....
Bosh laughs at idea of joining Knicks - NBA - Pro Basketball - Rumors - FanNation

Old 02-03-2010, 08:05 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,028,654 times
Quote:
Don't ever say the Yanks bought championships. The core of the teams that won in the 90's and even this year was homegrown.The Yanks like most big market teams add free agents as needed,just like the Red Sox,Mets,Angels,Dodgers and everyone else.They just made better choices this year.As for the homeruns that brought back fans,that was McGwire and Sosa;so check your history.
Seriously?? This past year's 'key components' were homegrown?? Their best 4 players were bought errr signed via free agency in AFraud, Texiera, CC & Burnett - without them, they are not world Series champs period! I'll give you that they have had some great homegrown talent the past decade+ in Jeter, Rivera, Pettite, Cano & Posada to name a few...but to say that the 'cores' of their teams that won championships were homegrown is laughable. 96 World Series MVP was John Wetteland (from the Expos) and outside of Pettite, their other 4 starters were Jimmy Key, David Cone, Kenny Rogers & Doc Gooden - all free agent signees! The only key homegrown contributors that season hitting were Jeter & Bernie Williams. Leading RBI guy - Tino Martinez (free agent signee from Seattle) and 2 of their other leading hitters/fielders were Wade Boggs & Paul O'Neill - again, free agent signees!!

While no team can "buy" championships, it sure helps when you can afford to pay for mistakes you make drafting by buying the top-notch free agents and almost assure yourself of at least getting to the post-season every year.

This is why baseball went from my favorite sport growing up in the 90s were I literally would watch almost every game, to where I watch maybe a game or two a season now and have lost virtually all interest, b/c the playing field is not fair. The Indians, Pirates, Royals among other small market teams have no chance of competing year-in & year-out w/the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers of the MLB. Sure, the Indians had their nice run in the mid to late-90s and then again in 2007, but look at that squad in 2007, almost all of the key contributors are gone b/c the Indians knew they couldn't afford to keep them w/the deep pockets of the Yankees & Red Sox out there.

This is also one major advantage the NBA has over the MLB, it's an even playing field. If we were talking about whether Lebron was staying w/the Indians or going to the Yankees or Mets, there'd be no doubt in my mind he'd be gone. But the fact that the Cavaliers can pay him the most money of any team due to the salary cap rules, along w/the fact that the Cavaliers are one of the top 4 teams in the league 3 seasons running, while I'm still concerned he might bolt for a bigger market, I have a much higher confidence that he'll re-sign with Cleveland.

Enough about baseball though, this is the basketball forum !

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,077 times
Quote:
How are the alternatives to the tonight show and late night with david letterman doing in Cleveland? Not too good I bet. See you in NY next year Lebron!

And kiss any chance of ever winning a title goodbye LeBron!

FWIW, I'm a NE Ohio guy and I think he's leaving. Nike, ESPN, David Stern,ect... are working right now on getting him out of Ohio. If it comes down to it and LeBron is leaning towards staying I think Stern and company make him an "offer he can't refuse" ie, you MUST leave Cleveland. Am I accusing of the media, the NBA and his sponsors of basically cheating? You bet I am.

It's a real shame because I think some of the stuff I see on ESPN is blatant tampering but really what can Dan Gilbert and the Cavs do?

My final prediction? He leaves for NYC this summer and we lose the Cavs within 5 years (followed by the Indians).

Old 02-03-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye in SC View Post
Seriously?? This past year's 'key components' were homegrown?? Their best 4 players were bought errr signed via free agency in AFraud, Texiera, CC & Burnett - without them, they are not world Series champs period! I'll give you that they have had some great homegrown talent the past decade+ in Jeter, Rivera, Pettite, Cano & Posada to name a few...but to say that the 'cores' of their teams that won championships were homegrown is laughable. 96 World Series MVP was John Wetteland (from the Expos) and outside of Pettite, their other 4 starters were Jimmy Key, David Cone, Kenny Rogers & Doc Gooden - all free agent signees! The only key homegrown contributors that season hitting were Jeter & Bernie Williams. Leading RBI guy - Tino Martinez (free agent signee from Seattle) and 2 of their other leading hitters/fielders were Wade Boggs & Paul O'Neill - again, free agent signees!!

While no team can "buy" championships, it sure helps when you can afford to pay for mistakes you make drafting by buying the top-notch free agents and almost assure yourself of at least getting to the post-season every year.

This is why baseball went from my favorite sport growing up in the 90s were I literally would watch almost every game, to where I watch maybe a game or two a season now and have lost virtually all interest, b/c the playing field is not fair. The Indians, Pirates, Royals among other small market teams have no chance of competing year-in & year-out w/the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers of the MLB. Sure, the Indians had their nice run in the mid to late-90s and then again in 2007, but look at that squad in 2007, almost all of the key contributors are gone b/c the Indians knew they couldn't afford to keep them w/the deep pockets of the Yankees & Red Sox out there.

This is also one major advantage the NBA has over the MLB, it's an even playing field. If we were talking about whether Lebron was staying w/the Indians or going to the Yankees or Mets, there'd be no doubt in my mind he'd be gone. But the fact that the Cavaliers can pay him the most money of any team due to the salary cap rules, along w/the fact that the Cavaliers are one of the top 4 teams in the league 3 seasons running, while I'm still concerned he might bolt for a bigger market, I have a much higher confidence that he'll re-sign with Cleveland.

Enough about baseball though, this is the basketball forum !
First off I didn't compare it to MLB,I just responded to another persons comments and yes more then half this years team and in the 90's was homegrown.Remember I said "core" which consists of guys like Mo,Posada among others.As for salary for Lebron,the Knicks can offer the same salary that Cleveland can but in a much bigger market with more media and that's what he wants.I do like more of a balanced system which is provided in the NBA,but in MLB teams like the Yankees and Sox among others are just playing within the rules established so you can't fault them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball