Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:50 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,491,825 times

Advertisements

Serious question, what number will LBJ wear when he comes to Chicago next year? (A guy can dream)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:44 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,147,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
-Lebron already has a massive fan base, commercials, famous friends etc.
-Jeter has played in 7 world series, think of all the guys you see doing commercials and what they have in common. The general public only pays attention to the finals for the most part.
-Ok, the Knicks might be able to put some talent around Lebron...but we have already agreed that in terms of chances for winning a championship there are better options out there.

We agree more than we disagree on the topic. I think our sticking point is that I think winning championships is what will propel Lebron and he has a better chance of doing it elsewhere. Should be fun to watch, they might do it this year even.
You are absolutely right that he has a better chance of winning it all away from NY,and especially if he stays with Cleveland. If you see what they have attempted by bringing in guys like Shaq,it proves they will bring in who they think is necessary to win it all.I just think Lebron's motivation is not entirely based on winning a championship.I think he would definitely rather go to NY and become BIGGER then he is now,even if he has to wait another year or two to be in a position to possibly go all the way. You are also right that we agree more then we disagree.I personally would rather win it all and stand out in a small city,then have to wait to win it all and be another superstar in a bigger city.I just think he wants to be bigger,and that's all it comes down to.On the internet he wont be any bigger,but going to NY would make him bigger. Denying that is ignorant.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
Serious question, what number will LBJ wear when he comes to Chicago next year? (A guy can dream)
That would be a nice fit in my opinion but I don't see it happening.I think he goes to NY or stays in Cleveland.

Old 02-09-2010, 09:26 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
On the internet he wont be any bigger,but going to NY would make him bigger. Denying that is ignorant.
<shrug>

Let me try to make my point another way. The Knicks haven't had a guy make the all-stars since 2001. Meanwhile, Iverson, McGrady, Ming etc. make the all-star game and not just this year.

So, just how much media and fan exposure are the Knicks players getting for just being in New York?

I will give you last say, I don't think either of us is completely correct and I'm just cautioning that the "big market" paradigm has shifted due to the internet.

Seriously? McGrady and Yao? lol.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
<shrug>

Let me try to make my point another way. The Knicks haven't had a guy make the all-stars since 2001. Meanwhile, Iverson, McGrady, Ming etc. make the all-star game and not just this year.

So, just how much media and fan exposure are the Knicks players getting for just being in New York?

I will give you last say, I don't think either of us is completely correct and I'm just cautioning that the "big market" paradigm has shifted due to the internet.

Seriously? McGrady and Yao? lol.
Currently the best player on the Knicks is David Lee and even though he puts up numbers,he's boring.There are alot of scrubs currently on the roster on a team that is going nowhere so I don't see your point.As for Iverson-he was great and a true fan will follow his favorites even after their talent dwindles.McGrady also very solid.Ming was solid but can't avoid injury but considering his background and how many asian players are in the league,he has an obvious following.Look at when the Knicks had Ewing,Oakley,Starks.All pretty decent but not superstars and they went far.Bringing Lebron in would restore the team to those days and that's what Knick fans are waiting for.The fan base came out in huge numbers then and will when he comes in.Trust me,they wont just add Lebron.Also he didn't push his buddy Sabathia to the Yankees just because he like the team and he doesn't wear all those Yankees hats for nothing!

Old 02-09-2010, 02:20 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Currently the best player on the Knicks is David Lee and even though he puts up numbers,he's boring.There are alot of scrubs currently on the roster on a team that is going nowhere so I don't see your point.As for Iverson-he was great and a true fan will follow his favorites even after their talent dwindles.McGrady also very solid.Ming was solid but can't avoid injury but considering his background and how many asian players are in the league,he has an obvious following.Look at when the Knicks had Ewing,Oakley,Starks.All pretty decent but not superstars and they went far.Bringing Lebron in would restore the team to those days and that's what Knick fans are waiting for.The fan base came out in huge numbers then and will when he comes in.Trust me,they wont just add Lebron.Also he didn't push his buddy Sabathia to the Yankees just because he like the team and he doesn't wear all those Yankees hats for nothing!
First off, great discussion. I might not agree with everything but you support your position which is very refreshing.

We shall see, the ironic part is that it doesn't matter if NY is still the key "big market" or if the internet has trumped that. It's all going to boil down to one guy making a decision.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Quote:
First off, great discussion. I might not agree with everything but you support your position which is very refreshing.

We shall see, the ironic part is that it doesn't matter if NY is still the key "big market" or if the internet has trumped that. It's all going to boil down to one guy making a decision.
If i'm being truely upfront,I have to say this. Even though I support Golden State,I have always had a soft spot for the Nets.The Knicks,I could care less about,but it feels weird not having at least a competitive team like during the Ewing years. It would be nice seeing them return to that type of status, but truthfully I would have alot more respect for Lebron if he signed long term with the Cavs. My problem is like I previously stated about him being a "media whor-".He wants to play at a place like MSG and have the 100 reporters and microphones in his face. He wants to do pop ins on the Letterman show. Usually i'm a very good judge of character and I really don't think i'm wrong here; but I hope I am.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:42 AM

168 posts, read 365,339 times
methinks Lebron just said he's not going to NY ????

Despite starting out his interview session at All-Star weekend in Dallas by saying he's not talking about free agency until after the season, LeBron James dropped a hint that could be something of a dagger to hopeful Knicks fans.
"It's all about winning," said James when asked about his summer. "It's going to be a great summer -- a very thought-out summer -- and I'm going to make the decision that's best for myself and my family."
"It's all about winning" is not necessarily the most encouraging phrase for Knicks officials as the club heads for its ninth straight losing season at 19-32.
LeBron on free agency: It's all about winning - NYPOST.com

If he's going somewhere, it's not NY.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz View Post
methinks Lebron just said he's not going to NY ????

Despite starting out his interview session at All-Star weekend in Dallas by saying he's not talking about free agency until after the season, LeBron James dropped a hint that could be something of a dagger to hopeful Knicks fans.
"It's all about winning," said James when asked about his summer. "It's going to be a great summer -- a very thought-out summer -- and I'm going to make the decision that's best for myself and my family."
"It's all about winning" is not necessarily the most encouraging phrase for Knicks officials as the club heads for its ninth straight losing season at 19-32.
LeBron on free agency: It's all about winning - NYPOST.com

If he's going somewhere, it's not NY.
I hate to tell you this,but it's done in all sports.Roger Clemens said it,then went to Toronto.We all know how that worked out,no rings!When Lebron goes to the Knicks he'll claim that he stood the best chance of winning there,but everyone will know the obvious. If Amare Stoudamire gets traded to Cleveland,it might be a different story then,and only then.Also he would stand a better chance next to Bosh or Wade and David Lee then next to Shaq.NY sucks this year but they have alot of money to throw around with a decent supporting cast,they just need 2 solid players to make the difference.

Old 02-14-2010, 08:38 AM

168 posts, read 365,339 times
Quote:
I hate to tell you this,but it's done in all sports.Roger Clemens said it,then went to Toronto.We all know how that worked out,no rings!When Lebron goes to the Knicks he'll claim that he stood the best chance of winning there,but everyone will know the obvious. If Amare Stoudamire gets traded to Cleveland,it might be a different story then,and only then.Also he would stand a better chance nextyrs to Bosh or Wade and David Lee then next to Shaq.NY sucks this year but they have alot of money to throw around with a decent supporting cast,they just need 2 solid players to make the difference.
It's more about who LBJ will be playing with to win it all, than whose team he will be on.
There is nobody for him to play with in NY.
I can imagine him going in Orlando to play with D Howard , because they could win title
on first year there. How long would it take him in NY ? Few yrs ? Never ?
When you the best , you go play with the best and NY is not it.
Him and DH would be like Kobe and Shaq back in the day.

And why would he leave winning team for the loser team in the first place ????

Last edited by hertz; 02-14-2010 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball