Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge
 [Register]
Baton Rouge Metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 07:55 AM

28 posts, read 90,112 times

Advertisements

After living in Boston for many decades and moving to Baton Rouge I can say without hesitation that the two cities cannot compare when it comes to bicycle riders and traffic. Baton Rouge's streets are narrow and the cars, really large SUV's and pickup trucks, have no experience with nor any understanding of bicycles. I would never have endangered my life on the streets in BR, but I rode everywhere in Boston. Who was it exactly who bestowed this designation on Baton Rouge? What did they use for data or criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:49 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baton Rouge View Post
After living in Boston for many decades and moving to Baton Rouge I can say without hesitation that the two cities cannot compare when it comes to bicycle riders and traffic. Baton Rouge's streets are narrow and the cars, really large SUV's and pickup trucks, have no experience with nor any understanding of bicycles. I would never have endangered my life on the streets in BR, but I rode everywhere in Boston. Who was it exactly who bestowed this designation on Baton Rouge? What did they use for data or criteria?
So you are actually comparing a semi-global city to Baton Rouge

Oh, Brother

Sorry we don't live up to your high expectations

Old 11-17-2009, 09:52 AM

1,734 posts, read 5,688,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darylwi View Post
Burbank - 4 laned one side has a shoulder. Long stretch of new road.
Staring when they build the new section along with rebuilding the section between Highland and Perkins.
Perkins. There's a good one. (widening)
Siegen from Highland to Perkins when they rebuild that one.
Highland from Blue Bayou to Airline. (widening)
North Blvd between I-110 to N. 19th. (widening and bridge)
Blount Rd. (widening)
Lee Drive if and when they redo it.
Bluebonnet from I-10 to Airline. (new road)
Millerville (widening)
Old Hammond (widening)
And those are only the ones that I think were/are good candidates so I'm sure there are more for an engineer to figure out.

Do you just like being an *** about everything in the world or just things that you consider to be progressive or dare I say it... "liberal"? I'm not saying I have the solutions, but jeez you're just such an *** about everything on here. You feel you have to critic everything that you don't like. We all hear you screaming but I for one am honestly tired of it and don't care anymore. You do what you got to do and I'll do what I got to do. Have a great day!
Two thumbs up

Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,466,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I guess by now You have the idea that I am not happy with riders which has only been since the other day I was driving north on Darylample and saw two riders on bikes ridding north on the opposite side of the road when all of a sudden one rider scraps the side of my truck and the other just barley made it across the road I swerved to miss them and put a nice scrap on the telephone pole and about a 4 ft. scrap on My truck.Since they were able to haul azz and they have no way to be Identified I got a $1500 dollar scrap I have to pay for.I know not every bike rider rides like this because My wife rides.But at this present time i am pretty pissed off at the whole situation.
Cars can't even get down the road without hitting each other,then we put motorcycles out there,then joggers and bicycles.Try going down 3rd street on Tuesday nights now, that is now a joggers trail .I will not take this out on the cycle world but Some of You long time riders might start a safety course ,There are probably already some .Vote NO on Sat.
I can understand being ticked at irresponsible cyclists. We make sure to go WITH the flow of traffic. Some people, unfortunately, don't know the score and think they can ride wherever they want. We're not in that group

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baton Rouge View Post
I wonder how much adding the signs did to help in creating this designation. Someone somewhere probably added up total miles of designated roadway, in which case, Baton Rouge all of a sudden has a ton of designated roadway. Doesn't mean it's safe though. And I think that's what everybody on here in one way or another are trying to say. We just don't always agree on how to alleviate it. You can't just kick cyclists off the road (contrary to some belief) and you can't just reduce every four lane road into a two lane road (i.e. MidCity Merchants concerning Government Street). So what do we do?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I wonder how much adding the signs did to help in creating this designation. Someone somewhere probably added up total miles of designated roadway, in which case, Baton Rouge all of a sudden has a ton of designated roadway. Doesn't mean it's safe though. And I think that's what everybody on here in one way or another are trying to say. We just don't always agree on how to alleviate it. You can't just kick cyclists off the road (contrary to some belief) and you can't just reduce every four lane road into a two lane road (i.e. MidCity Merchants concerning Government Street). So what do we do?
I agree with you that the supposed "extra bike lanes" were akin to putting lipstick on a pig - I would not think of Goodwood Blvd as a bike friendly street, for example.

I do think, though, that the top levee could be converted to a bike path. Though this is the case from Fla Blvd to the LSU Vet School, they really need to extend it south to Gardere. For one thing, cyclists have to use the traffic clogged part of River Road between the Vet Schol and Farr Park. And after that, the road quality of River Road is poor thanks to the heavy use by gravel trucks. And for what it's worth, there is supposed to be a really nice bike path from Uptown NO to Destrehan. I don't see why they can't do the same here in BR.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,979 times
Quote:
Burbank - 4 laned one side has a shoulder. Long stretch of new road.
Staring when they build the new section along with rebuilding the section between Highland and Perkins.
Perkins. There's a good one. (widening)
Siegen from Highland to Perkins when they rebuild that one.
Highland from Blue Bayou to Airline. (widening)
North Blvd between I-110 to N. 19th. (widening and bridge)
Blount Rd. (widening)
Lee Drive if and when they redo it.
Bluebonnet from I-10 to Airline. (new road)
Millerville (widening)
Old Hammond (widening)
And those are only the ones that I think were/are good candidates so I'm sure there are more for an engineer to figure out.

Do you just like being an *** about everything in the world or just things that you consider to be progressive or dare I say it... "liberal"? I'm not saying I have the solutions, but jeez you're just such an *** about everything on here. You feel you have to critic everything that you don't like. We all hear you screaming but I for one am honestly tired of it and don't care anymore. You do what you got to do and I'll do what I got to do. Have a great day!
So , all of the streets you mentioned have additional right of way available , without the expense of relocating utilities , etc . ? That WAS the question I posed .

And I did have a pretty good day .

Old 11-17-2009, 03:56 PM

794 posts, read 3,358,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhounit View Post
So , all of the streets you mentioned have additional right of way available , without the expense of relocating utilities , etc . ? That WAS the question I posed .

And I did have a pretty good day .
Me too.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:52 AM

595 posts, read 1,173,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRMan View Post
I can understand being ticked at irresponsible cyclists. We make sure to go WITH the flow of traffic. Some people, unfortunately, don't know the score and think they can ride wherever they want. We're not in that group

I know You don't ride like that ,around Me it is LSU students .

Old 11-23-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbbertusa View Post
I know You don't ride like that ,around Me it is LSU students .
I do try to blend in with traffic and respect the road. Unfortunately, there are some who think the road is all theirs - VERY dangerous assumption to make on BR's streets !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > Baton Rouge