Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2021, 07:09 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,672,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
What does that mean then?

What does "what" mean?

Quote:
Making stuff up that I never said.

Everything I DID say I stand by 110% because it’s true
I was giving examples, kind of stuff that seems to be the basis of a lot of "Boston is more racist" claims. But you have yet to demonstrate what sets it aside. Number of EEO complaints? Hate crimes per capita? Income, education, etc. disparities? Incidents of police brutality? Anything?

Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Every now and then shame is needed. It’s a little different than guilt. Guilt is different than compassion. Plenty of white people lack compassion for black people and have no shame for their own actions/comments.
Americans in general seem more animated by guilt than by shame. The way I understand them guilt is personal based upon your own choices in life whereas shame is something that's passed onto the surrounding community. Someone brings shame upon their community by being acting in a way that goes against their values. The whole community is punished for the actions of the individual. "Sons put to death for the sins of the father" etc

American ideas on individuality don't mesh well with this idea of collective punishment at all. Maybe in the earlier American history it did somewhat but in general the trend has been away from this sort of thinking and for good reason because it's often not fair or rational.

I think guilt is generally a more healthy emotion but moreso as a stepping stone to genuine remorse and potentially growth than as an end state in itself

Compassion is a sepraate thing. Plenty of people could use more of it. I'm not sure if its correlated with race or why it would be but generally i think its more useful than shame. It's hard to compare in quality to guilt , other than to say that guilt is good in situations where it's appropriate and compassion is generally good in much broader range of situations.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:11 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
My direct ancestors, my good friend, were slaves. Real slaves that could be bought and sold, and could not leave their master. Until 1861, I guess we were only slightly more progressive than good old US of A.

Your direct ancestors, given the nonstop intertribal warfare, were either enslaving or being enslaved, more or less a 50/50 chance. And that’s all people who look like you, without people who look like me even being in the picture. So once again, do you feel ashamed for what your ancestors very possibly did to your ancestors?

Quote:
What this is also not true…my ancestor would have been the enslaved not the ones selling the slaves. Secondly there’s way more west and central Africans than there are white Americans…

But again your making this about YOU

Old 10-05-2021, 07:13 PM

I drive down to Grove Hall right now and walk around some of the side streets, what do you think will happen?

You drive down to Neponset right now and walk around some of the side streets, what do you think will happen?

Also you know what’s located at 10 Washington in Dot, where’s its public, official, out in the open white equivalent?

Quote:
Not really. more like a one way street with a sidewalk

Old 10-05-2021, 07:43 PM

2,364 posts, read 1,850,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
My direct ancestors, my good friend, were slaves. Real slaves that could be bought and sold, and could not leave their master. Until 1861, I guess we were only slightly more progressive than good old US of A.

Your direct ancestors, given the nonstop intertribal warfare, were either enslaving or being enslaved, more or less a 50/50 chance. And that’s all people who look like you, without people who look like me even being in the picture. So once again, do you feel ashamed for what your ancestors very possibly did to your ancestors?
At least the Africans and Europeans enslaved and killed members of other tribes and other countries. Russians did those things to their own people!

Old 10-05-2021, 07:44 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Hey, so several posters came here and answered OPS questions directly and succinctly and what we're left with are posters that p*ssed and moaned, stamped their feet, pouted and put their fingers in their ears. You cannot cry about how unfair it is hard enough to change the facts that this is why Boston is famous for racism. None of the white tears in the world will negate that perception. So either cry harder or realize it's time for introspection.

Recently-bout a week ago. I was on a call with a black business owner in Detroit for work. I told him I grew up in Boston. He asked how I liked it. I said it was a great city. He said "Oh really? I had an experience in Boston 30 years ago and I vowed I would never come back."

All I said was "I wasn't alive 30 years ago"

Old 10-05-2021, 07:46 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I mean I have a few exes who id sometimes wish would feel shame....but would I really want them to feel shame for something they did to me ? Not really.

Someone living today who has killed or raped or abused someone should feel ashamed. Hopeful they're in jail too.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:46 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
At least the Africans and Europeans enslaved and killed members of other tribes and other countries. Russians did those things to their own people!
I mean obviously its nothing at all like slavery in the old world. Its so different it borders on incomparable. Don't even need to acknowledge that. You're talking about slavery based exclusively on skin color and passed down perpetually from generation to genration and the total education of family life and culture. None of which was the norm in the Old World especially in the 19th century. For starters.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:49 PM

Riddle me this - why should I, a descendant of slaves, be held guilty for slavery by someone who’s very possibly a descendant of slavers? Can you think of anything more ironic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post

Old 10-05-2021, 07:49 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Default Re

Quote:
Hey, so several posters came here and answered OPS questions directly and succinctly and what we're left with are posters that p*ssed and moaned, stamped their feet, pouted and put their fingers in their ears. You cannot cry about how unfair it is hard enough to change the facts that this is why Boston is famous for racism. None of the white tears in the world will negate that perception. So either cry harder or realize it's time for introspection.

Recently-bout a week ago. I was on a call with a black business owner in Detroit for work. I told him I grew up in Boston. He asked how I liked it. I said it was a great city. He said "Oh really? I had an experience in Boston 30 years ago and I vowed I would never come back."

All I said was "I wasn't alive 30 years ago"
So he doesn't want to return to a major city because of something that happened to him 30 years ago. I'm guessing he experienced racism with someone or a few someone's. Not sure that was ever the fault of Boston 30 years ago nevermind today. Even if it happened with BPD that shouldn't be a reflection on the whole city because I think we know Boston is a lot more than BPD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston