Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:58 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times

Advertisements

To the OP:

Why is it that whenever I smile and say "Hi" to Indian people I see in my neighborhood as I walk my dog by them on the street, that they won't even make eye contact with me? I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've attempted to be friendly with Indian people and haven't even received the slightest response from them.

The weird thing is that on my trip to India in 2000, I found Indian people to be almost annoyingly friendly with my brother and I. Everybody, everywhere wanted to talk to us and ask us a million questions. It was a nice perspective though because I've always been used to many Indian people here at home to have no interest in interacting with anybody other than their own race.

You're accusing white people of segregating themselves from you, but from my experience many Indian people are experts at keeping to their own race.

Why do so many miserable, bitter people feel the need to come to message boards like this to vent to complete strangers about their problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 11:01 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,989,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonfreak View Post
I am an Indian from India and I have lived in the US for four years. I haven't made a single American friend inspite of all my efforts. I lived in Corvallis, OR for 3 years and in Sunnyvale for one year. I see white people with white people, Indians with Indians, Chinese with Chinese. I hardly find an exception. Not even in San Francisco.
People quickly tend to be judgemental about me but you should also know that my roommates are all white and have become good friends with me after having lived with them for a year now.
I do not think that any part of the world has a liberal society. Indians will always mingle with Indians and whites will always mingle with white ones. The Eurasian divide is huge and will remain as long as the Asian countries can raise up to a level where they emerge stronger than the white people to tell them that 'hey, it is not like before when you, the people of the East India Company, looted us raped our women. Now we are the one who are on top of the world'.

Though highly pessimistic, the truth is that the stronger race rules the world. The whites are still on the top of the list. It is changing and I am sure there will be a day when India and China will beat the US and the freakin white people.
I do find this odd. My husband (who is white from Ireland) has a lot of friends from India. Some of his best friends are Indian and still keeps in contact with a lot of his old colleagues (most in the high tech sector down in Silicon Valley) and meets up for pints often.

You might have to take a good hard look at your personality. I'm not saying this to be cruel and please don't take this as racist, but I know that sometimes Indians of a particular "caste" can sometimes be terribly arrogant acting. You did make a point of announcing your academic record and salary (which really has no bearing whatsoever on making friends within the same career field).

You have a lot of hatred towards white people/Americans and people are picking up on your hostility as well. Now, what white or any other person would want to be your friend if you're constantly obsessing about their religion/color/nationality? Self actualization, my friend.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:14 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,040,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist12 View Post
The OP has a point, white people are getting a little to used the good life.

You don't see white people working in the fields in the Central Valley, cleaning, picking up ****.. jobs white's wouldn't want/know how to do. They also get looked down upon as lower class of citizens. (in my experiences) I guess it's because they're not immigrants have have an education.

To the OP: Your an immigrant, new people moving to the US will have a hard time.. it's always been like that and always will. It's not your culture, hence why you feel left out. I know it's tuff, but it'll get better.

Do you want to hear something funny? I used to have a Latina friend from East SJ who, despite being very racist toward white people, actually liked me and we got along great. She used to go on and on and on about how racist and lazy white people were. She couldn't even hold down a job. During the time I knew her, she must've been fired from at least three or four jobs.
During her unemployment periods, she would mooch off unemployment funds until that ran out and then she would half-assedly go searching for another menial job. My point is that all this time she was going on and on about the lazy white people, I saw that she was one of the laziest people I ever knew and had terrible work ethic.

During all this time, I've worked hard for the same company, working all sorts of different positions (even as an auto detailer- the only white guy) and have moved up and down the pay-scale. My first job was working at McDonald's at 15. I know many white people in my family who work 40-60 hours + weekly.

White people are used to the good life? Give me a break! This is a completely asinine comment. I have two grandfathers who fought in WWII to help secure the freedoms of this great country for future generations. Do I want to live the good life? Of course! Who doesn't? That's why people come to this country! I want my kids to have the good life too...and I also want anybody who comes to this country with strong values and good work ethic to also be able to be successful!

It has nothing to do with being white! Maybe if you stopped trying to pin everything on the White Devil then you could actually focus on making your own life better. Oh, and when was the last time you worked in a field?
My white family and I picked strawberries and blackberries in Watsonville a few months ago. When I lived at my condo in SJ, I spent a few hours cleaning up the trash on the center median of Blossom Hill Rd. all by myself. I also regularly stop and pick up trash along the side of the road in my neighborhood. But, you're right, we white people are lazy.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:59 AM

13 posts, read 30,831 times
I think I have hurt way too many people with my stupid comments. I am very sorry sorry. I did not think it would get so much of attention.

Its is just that the people who are friends with me here are the highly conservative Baptists or old people who are widows. I don't understand the cultural references made. I don't know what to talk about when all of them seem to be optimistic about everything when the reality is that life is not a bed of roses. I am used to being extremely straightforward be it about myself or others. People here get turned off when I say things which are true and which have negative implications about them.

On top of that, I have NOTHING in common with Americans. NOTHING. How can a mama's boy like me who is ONLY used to mom's love and reading engineering books adapt ways of American people especially when I do not like any of them.... be it snowboarding, indoor climbing, and what not.

Let me just stop at this as I have embarrassed myself enough. I am very sorry once again.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
I think I have hurt way too many people with my stupid comments. I am very sorry sorry. I did not think it would get so much of attention.

Its is just that the people who are friends with me here are the highly conservative Baptists or old people who are widows. I don't understand the cultural references made. I don't know what to talk about when all of them seem to be optimistic about everything when the reality is that life is not a bed of roses. I am used to being extremely straightforward be it about myself or others. People here get turned off when I say things which are true and which have negative implications about them.

On top of that, I have NOTHING in common with Americans. NOTHING. How can a mama's boy like me who is ONLY used to mom's love and reading engineering books adapt ways of American people especially when I do not like any of them.... be it snowboarding, indoor climbing, and what not.

Let me just stop at this as I have embarrassed myself enough. I am very sorry once again.
That was courageous! Recognizing your limitations -- in this case, nothing in common -- can be the first big step towards rejecting or correcting them.

I won't even argue with you about whether or not your allegation about Americans are correct or not. I'll just wish you well and if going back to India gets you back to your comfort zone then I say, "Good move!"

Old 01-07-2011, 01:06 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,704 times
I have to give you 5 stars on the trollometer. You did a good job agitating people.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:09 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I have to give you 5 stars on the trollometer. You did a good job agitating people.
That too. But on the off chance...

Old 01-07-2011, 03:43 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
I am an Indian from India and I have lived in the US for four years. I haven't made a single American friend inspite of all my efforts. I lived in Corvallis, OR for 3 years and in Sunnyvale for one year. I see white people with white people, Indians with Indians, Chinese with Chinese. I hardly find an exception. Not even in San Francisco.
People quickly tend to be judgemental about me but you should also know that my roommates are all white and have become good friends with me after having lived with them for a year now.
I do not think that any part of the world has a liberal society. Indians will always mingle with Indians and whites will always mingle with white ones. The Eurasian divide is huge and will remain as long as the Asian countries can raise up to a level where they emerge stronger than the white people to tell them that 'hey, it is not like before when you, the people of the East India Company, looted us raped our women. Now we are the one who are on top of the world'.

Though highly pessimistic, the truth is that the stronger race rules the world. The whites are still on the top of the list. It is changing and I am sure there will be a day when India and China will beat the US and the freakin white people.
I think you should drop the word Oregon out of your name.

If we're to believe that each race only associates with itself, then the blond haired, green-eyed girl with white skin I'm dating must not really be white. Same is true everywhere I take it. I have friends of almost every race and always have both in the Bay Area and in San Diego. Perhaps it has nothing to do with your background why others may be avoiding you. Not trying to be mean, just saying.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:16 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,926 times
With all the touchy feely crap and all the PC talk birds of feather flock together or something like that. It's only natural. Also Mexicans stick with Mexicans and Blacks with blacks and so forth... The 'cultures' are just too much different. Go back to where you came from and only there you'll get FULL acceptance among your own.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:18 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,926 times
Also, what's with the 'freaking white' ? No one forced you to come here, bub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California