Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 09:50 PM

38,900 posts, read 22,885,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
You know I wondered that too. But I selected the share option which does it - kinda strange. Anyway here is the same link without the "." from the top of the page:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiddXGbRn5g

And now CD recognizes it. Thanks for helping me figure out why it didn't with the youtu.be option.

Derek
Hello, Derek. What I do is simply copy and paste the URL of the video from the YouTube site to my post and when I submit it, a clickable video displays. Pretty easy, eh?

I only use the Share option on YouTube to share videos on my Facebook page. I didn't know you could do it here on C-D. You learn something new all the time here. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
That's some sweeping generalization there, Derek. Not everyone who complain about the way California is being run are blaming the state for all their problems. There are CA residents with legitimate problems that are impacted more negatively than others from the way the state legislature and Federal government are running the place.
We all make our choices, I am unable to understand why anyone would put up with "impacted more negatively"

To me it is just more "playing the victim".

Old 07-08-2011, 10:16 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
That's some sweeping generalization there, Derek. Not everyone who complain about the way California is being run are blaming the state for all their problems. There are CA residents with legitimate problems that are impacted more negatively than others from the way the state legislature and Federal government are running the place.
Well, if you go back to the original thread and title its all about the CA Dream - this illusive dreamland where all one's wished come true if they only wish long/hard enough. It's much like a fairytale which either people believe they are entitled to from birth or one which can be attained through moving to the Promise Land. Then when something goes south, you name it - a job, a girlfriend or lack thereof, a dream home or lack of it, the once enchanted is now replaced with disillusionment. What happened to that dream, those things which one is entitled to by virtue of living in CA or any other state for that matter? The thrill is gone, the love is gone and now replaced with animosity. My arguement is that it was based on a false illusion of a fairytale land that doesn't exist to begin with.

Then the whinning starts and talk of how much CA sucks, blah, blah, blah. This is especially true right before someone leaves for their new Dream Land. And the same cycle starts all over again. Some ppl go so far as to think by moving out of CA they will no longer be subject to corrupt, lazy or deceitful politicians. Surprise, they live and work in other states as well. Or how about those problems at work. Surprise other states have those things too. Poor relationships or lack of them altogether. Yes, they there are there as well.

As to the generalization, I didn't include eveyone. BTW I don't think of you in this group of constant complainers who only see the glass half empty - without one good thing to say. Of course CA has problems like any state as I have emphasized. But I would say many of the ppl who complain contantly here bought into this lie of a dreamland and now live in some form of disillusionment, hence the frustration. That's what I mean when I speak of perspective. CA is just a state like any other with all its flaws and imperfections. It works for some and not others similar to the other 49, albeit with nicer weather and scenery than most - all hype and Dreaming aside.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 07-08-2011 at 10:32 PM..

Old 07-08-2011, 10:31 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
We all make our choices, I am unable to understand why anyone would put up with "impacted more negatively"

To me it is just more "playing the victim".

And that is your opinion. Until you have walked a mile in the shoes of others, I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss it as "playing the victim."

Old 07-08-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Well, if you go back to the original thread and title its all about the CA Dream - this illusive dreamland where all one's wished come true if they only wish long/hard enough. It's much like a fairytale which either people believe they are entitled to from birth or one which can be attained through moving to the Promise Land. Then when something goes south, you name it - a job, a girlfriend or lack thereof, a dream home or lack of it, the once enchanted is now replaced with disillusionment. What happened to that dream, those things which one is entitled to by virtue of living in CA or any other state for that matter? The thrill is gone, the love is gone and now replaced with animosity. My arguement is that it was based on a false illusion of a fairytale land that doesn't exist to begin with.

Then the whinning starts and talk of how much CA sucks, blah, blah, blah. This is especially true right before someone leaves for their new Dream Land. And the same cycle starts all over again. Some ppl go so far as to think by moving out of CA they will no longer be subject to corrupt, lazy or deceitful politicians. Surprise, they live and work in other states as well. Or how about those problems at work. Surprise other states have those things too. Poor relationships or lack of them altogether. Yes, they there are there as well.

As to the generalization, I didn't include eveyone. BTW I don't think of you in this group of constant complainers who only see the glass half empty - without one good thing to say. Of course CA has problems like any state as I have emphasized. But I would say many of the ppl who complain contantly here bought into this lie of a dreamland and now live in some form of disillusionment, hence the frustration. That's what I mean when I speak of perspective. CA is just a state like any other with all its flaws and imperfections. It works for some and not others similar to the other 49, albeit with nicer weather and scenery than most - all hype and Dreaming aside.

Derek
Thanks for the clarification. I admit that I took your post in a different way. I'm not one to believe in the fairytale as you pointed out in this thread, as I believe that hard work can be rewarded as it happened to my parents who were working immigrants in the 70's and 80's.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Can't you do that in any large metro area like Houston, Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, etc..? I understand they may not be "cool" or "trendy" areas for a lot of young people but that is one of the problems imo, a lot of people come to CA for this false image that is portrayed and it's "reputation"..
Perhaps Chicago, but not really the others, they just don't have the sorts of scenes and environments that attract young people. For example, excluding Chicago again, those areas have few first-class educational opportunities.

From talking to actual people in LA (not stereotypes of actor wannabes) I don't know any that came here on "false images", perhaps a bit naive optimism...but none of them think of it as some sort of magical place. They just believe they have a better chance "making it" in California than the redneck state/town they were born and raised in.

Anyhow, the old "California dream" is dead though, people are coming today for different reasons than in the past. They are coming to California for the same reason they are coming to NYC usually people will just move to which ever is closer.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
The California "dream" is the same as the American "dream" in the same sense that it is becoming much more difficult to attain today. This and the next generation is screwed and we have the Republicans that the boomers voted in to thank for that.
Fixed that for you...

Old 07-08-2011, 11:05 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:

Derek
I think that you're spot on.
It's the illusion of California to the disillusionment.
It's the move to California as the promised land ... and then reality hits and instead of realizing that "no matter where you go, there you are", the external (in this case, the place) is blamed.
Maybe that's one of the reasons that CA is so crazy now ... too many (way too many!) people here for the "wrong" reasons and maybe there's actually more unhappy and dissatisfied people here than in other places because of the such great disappointment.
It's interesting to imagine what California would be like and how different it would be if not for Hollywood which has fed the illusion like nothing else.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 PM

C'mon....people move to try to escape internal problems all the time, but that isn't what is driving people to California. Sometimes the grass is really greener on the other side, the sorts of opportunity that exist to someone in LA or the bay area are dramatically different than those that exist to someone in some small town in a redneck state. They may as well be on different planets...

Old 07-08-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Fixed that for you...
Leave it to you to make it a partisan issue out of nothing.

Childish act on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California