Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 04:03 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times

Advertisements

Fallows might have wanted to compare Obama to someone besides Bobby Fischer, considering Fischer's insanity and bizarre behavior in his later life.

That's like comparing him to Phil Spector.

But I get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 04:31 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Fallows might have wanted to compare Obama to someone besides Bobby Fischer, considering Fischer's insanity and bizarre behavior in his later life.

That's like comparing him to Phil Spector.

But I get the point.
Yeah ... well, if Obama wants to go insane and bizarre in his later life, he's entitled to it after what he's going through babysitting the right and left alike in Washington ... personally, I'm enjoying his chess game right now ... I agree with the analysis, much to the consternation of a handful of my "lib" acquaintances who have turned against him ... while my conservative friends -- uh, wait a minute, can't think of any ... huh ... well, nevermind that then

Much as I appreciate the motivations behind my liberal friends, I'm tired of picking them up and dusting off their trousers ... gotta be realistic. Keep telling them that democracy is a heartbreaker ... just like real life.

Meanwhile, I just read a little analysis of the pot dispensary closure threats ... writer pointed out that Bush also sent out threatening letters and demands to cease and desist -- including to landlords of dispensary outlets ... no actual arrests and prosecutions ... yet a whole bunch of places freaked and shuttered up -- I think it said about 900 -- at no more effort and expense than paper and postage. That's called playing the game by strategy rather than by force.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:37 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
I feign upset at Obama as i am, in truth and in "real life" (as opposed to my c-d-f persona) basically apolitical and, ultimately, whatever the goobers do in Washington is essentially irrelevant to me.
I had hope that he was going to be an "instrument" of real transformation but it hasn't been so.
If the feds want to go after the m.m. collectives, so be it.
It's a ridiculous waste of resources and it will effect many people who are sick and who don't want to smoke illegally but whatever.
As for me in that regard, i could care less if i'm legal or not.
In S.C. county it's such a low priority to law enforcement anyway.
They're smart ... have their priorities straight regarding how to best use their limited resources.

Old 10-07-2011, 08:12 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,552,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If this is true, how are houses and roads getting built? Crops picked?

These raids are so quiet and sneaky no one knows about them?
I did not say he had it under control, only that he has done a better job of it than any past president. No president has done a good job at it.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:09 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, it was on the news. I dont know what her housekeeper did tho to deserve being part of this sweep.

Found some articles online, there are many more:

Nearly 3,000 arrested in nationwide immigration sweep - The Reporter

Federal immigration crackdown includes 18 arrests in Sacramento area - Sacramento News - Local and Breaking Sacramento News | Sacramento Bee

Immigration sweep nets 186 in Northern California,... - Silobreaker (http://www.silobreaker.com/immigration-sweep-nets-186-in-northern-california-more-than-2900-nationwide-5_2264880995578675255 - broken link)
That's good news, keep up the good work ICE

Old 10-08-2011, 10:32 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,987,382 times
Wink Time for some real change

The evil this government does seems to have no limits.

How marijuana is treated is a perfect example of that. For such a beneficial plant, for ANY plant, to be ostracized and worse, for it or anyone using it to be in any way molested or harmed -- is proof enough.

In a truly free nation what anyone does with their own body would of course remain their sole business.

Marijuana can of course stay. And this government of ours, as presently construed, must certainly go.

Old 10-08-2011, 11:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
The evil this government does seems to have no limits.

How marijuana is treated is a perfect example of that. For such a beneficial plant, for ANY plant, to be ostracized and worse, for it or anyone using it to be in any way molested or harmed -- is proof enough.

In a truly free nation what anyone does with their own body would of course remain their sole business.

Marijuana can of course stay. And this government of ours, as presently construed, must certainly go.
Anarchy rules! Speakin' of "rules," just do away with all of them. Let freedom reign but be prepared to be locked and loaded. Life's a trade-off.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 10-08-2011 at 12:32 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Anarchy rules! Speakin' of "rules," just do away with all of therm. Let freedom reign but be prepared to be locked and loaded. Life's a trade-off.

"It is one thing to employ violence in combat as a means of defense. It is quite another thing to make a principle of terrorism, to institutionalize it, to assign it the most vital place in the social struggle. Such terrorism begets counter-revolution and in turn itself becomes counter-revolutionary.… The one thing I am convinced of as I have never been in my life is that the gun decides nothing at all. Even if it accomplishes what it sets out to do — which it rarely does — it brings so many evils in its wake as to defeat its original aim.… If we can undergo changes in every other method of dealing with the social issues we will also have to learn to change in the methods of revolution. I think it can be done. If not, I shall relinquish my belief in revolution."

-Emma Goldman-

Old 10-08-2011, 11:59 AM

541 posts, read 1,224,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarawayDJ View Post
2. To me, CA subverting federal law with respect to pot usage isn't "much" different than AZ deciding to take illegal immigration enforcement into its own hands. Think about that. There was so much outrage that a state would decide to enforce federal laws when the feds would not, but none when a state decided to ignore federal law to do its own thing. IMHO, this amounts to the feds being consistent. Either you support both AZ and CA on these issues, or you support the feds. You can't support subverting federal law, or taking it into your own hands, only when it supports your position.

...For example, someone might take a position that CA has every right to enact medical pot laws, but VA is wrong to sue the government over healthcare reform. If you believe in states' rights, you have to believe in them regardless of the particular issue. The same applies to those who support a stronger federal government.

I can't say I agree with your logic here.

California clearly passed legislation that ran against and encouraged violation of long-established federal laws. Arizona passed its own legislation that facilitated execution of federal law by also involving state and local law enforcement in a parallel system. Arizona was working in conjunction and parallel with federal legislation (despite that both the Bush and Obama administrations seemed to favor our nation being overrun by illegal immigrants by choosing to ignore federal laws). California was clearly acting to legalize something that was clearly in violation of federal law.

They're complete opposite approaches to an intersection of state and federal law. Arizona is easily on the more solid legal footing, though clearly on the wrong political footing given Obama and the executive branch have zero interest in enforcing federal immigraiton law.

Speaking as a physician who routinely admits patients who have become psychotic or are having panic attacks following marijuana usage, I'm not a big fan of the drug. That said, I think it clearly causes less harm than the likes of xanax or oxycodone.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
I can't say I agree with your logic here.

California clearly passed legislation that ran against and encouraged violation of long-established federal laws. Arizona passed its own legislation that facilitated execution of federal law by also involving state and local law enforcement in a parallel system. Arizona was working in conjunction and parallel with federal legislation (despite that both the Bush and Obama administrations seemed to favor our nation being overrun by illegal immigrants by choosing to ignore federal laws). California was clearly acting to legalize something that was clearly in violation of federal law.

They're complete opposite approaches to an intersection of state and federal law. Arizona is easily on the more solid legal footing, though clearly on the wrong political footing given Obama and the executive branch have zero interest in enforcing federal immigraiton law.

Speaking as a physician who routinely admits patients who have become psychotic or are having panic attacks following marijuana usage, I'm not a big fan of the drug. That said, I think it clearly causes less harm than the likes of xanax or oxycodone.
Psychotic? you sure about that doc?
Used alone (no other drugs) and by an individual who isn't already psychotic / prone to psychosis?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California