Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:43 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Our Constitution guarantees the citizens the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. I find it curious that those who claim to hold the constitution dear, deny whatever part of it they, at a particular moment disagree with.

The UC Davis Police Department used Pepper Spray on seated nonviolent students. These are not anarchists, commies, "hippie's. These are our children. Just to be admitted to UC Davis means they are among our brightest children. Now, I don't care about your politics, and I don't care about the occupy movement. But, our police should never ever use pepper spray on our children.
Shame on them.

Watching the whole video, you see students, by the force of moral authority, peacefully and nonviolently forced the police off the quad. Folks, peaceful protest, and peaceful dissent is what marks our country as the shining light for the rest of the world to emulate. The right to peacefully petition the government for redress of grievances is enshrined in our Constitution. The police were in the wrong, and they finally realized it.

Here they were referred to as spoiled brats, yet, these "brats" held their formation of peaceful sitting with locked arms in spite of a violent assault. That is not typical of "spoiled brats" but something any trained military formation would be expected to do. The bystanders had the ability to be violent as they far out numbered the police, they didn't. Any student who shouted out a derogatory phrase to the police was shut down by the nonviolent students. The students upheld the finest traditions of American peaceful protest. We should all be proud that we have raised citizens like them.

Bulldog, my son is a senior at Davis, he is not a radical, he is a mountain climber, now, this day at this time he did not get pepper sprayed, but what about tomorrow? What about Fresno State, and someone you know?

You don't pepper spray our children, period.

Our ideologies are separated by vast chasm on this issue.

Agree to disagree with you on this one.

Sorry when told to move "peacefully" by a LEO then you move or you risk the consequences.

I have no worries my adult child will steer clear of the spray zone.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:44 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,283,706 times
Quote:
LOL.... Pepper spray is now considered a violent assault? Now I've heard everything.
Some of those kids wound up in the hospital and were throwing up blood

Old 11-20-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Almost as appalling as the actions of that officer. Shame on you.
Awww and I was so hoping for support for my position.

A little cheese to go with your whine?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Sorry when told to move "peacefully" by a LEO then you move or you risk the consequences.

Here's the thing, Dawg -- banter aside ... if peaceful citizens always conformed to LEO's just because LEO's said to do so and so, we wouldn't have a United States of America. Civil disobedience by moral authority is a foundational cornerstone of a free nation -- your nation. You are also free to move to a police state if you prefer that lifestyle. But you are not free to bring a police state to my yard. Check the opening paragraphs of your Declaration of Independence. The Declaration of Independence

I don't go to protests, expressly because I am not capable of remaining peaceful. The cumulative effect of my life experiences combined with my personality renders me violently confrontational when challenged. Slightest hint of threat and I go into full assault mode -- yeah, still, despite my getting long-in-the-tooth. These protestors show remarkable character and strength I am incapable of myself. Hats off to them.

Old 11-20-2011, 10:04 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:

It was a protest, it is the job of a protest to protest. There was no damage to life or property eminent, the order to disburse was in opposition to our own US Constitution.

If, protesters meekly obey the orders of the Security Forces, we have tyranny.

We can take this back to the Boston Tea Party, revered today by those who think of themselves as descendants of those 'patriots" who call themselves The Tea Party.

That was a violent protest to perceived tyranny.

Today those who hold the original Tea Party in high esteem, are damning of these protestors today, because they have a problem with what they see as a different political stance than what they approve of.

That is hypocrisy raised to the highest level.

I consider these children of ours to be patriots, brave and disciplined in the face of completely unwarranted Police Violence (and if you have ever been pepper sprayed, you would consider it violence, Grizzlies do) Watch the whole video, listen to what the children are saying as the police back out. If that does not make you proud as an American, to see moral authority defeat unwarranted force, then you need to reflect on just what does make an American. Just those that share your ideology?

Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Remember that kid, a few years ago, who was tazed by campus popo in Florida? The one who shouted "Don't taze me bro!" I'll bet you were on the gestapo's side on that one as well.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:57 AM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Peaceful protests are a waste of time.... When I watch this video all I see is a bunch of complacent brats....the future of America indeed....

Old 11-20-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Remember that kid, a few years ago, who was tazed by campus popo in Florida? The one who shouted "Don't taze me bro!" I'll bet you were on the gestapo's side on that one as well.
Maybe you would like to explain the circumstances of that event and what led up to Meyers being tazed. Based on the entirety of that incident Meyers deserved the treatment he received.

BTW at first I thought the LEO's tactics were extreme and unwarranted. But upon further review of Meyer's agenda and actions he definately got everything he was handed in that situation.

Gestapo, puhlease...

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 11-20-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
It was a protest, it is the job of a protest to protest. There was no damage to life or property eminent, the order to disburse was in opposition to our own US Constitution.

If, protesters meekly obey the orders of the Security Forces, we have tyranny.

We can take this back to the Boston Tea Party, revered today by those who think of themselves as descendants of those 'patriots" who call themselves The Tea Party.

That was a violent protest to perceived tyranny.

Today those who hold the original Tea Party in high esteem, are damning of these protestors today, because they have a problem with what they see as a different political stance than what they approve of.

That is hypocrisy raised to the highest level.

I consider these children of ours to be patriots, brave and disciplined in the face of completely unwarranted Police Violence (and if you have ever been pepper sprayed, you would consider it violence, Grizzlies do) Watch the whole video, listen to what the children are saying as the police back out. If that does not make you proud as an American, to see moral authority defeat unwarranted force, then you need to reflect on just what does make an American. Just those that share your ideology?
I've watched over a dozen videos of the same incident from many different angles and news organizations that show the whole situation from beginning to end including those actions that precipitated the confrontation.

My view has not changed. I have been maced, pepper sprayed and tazed. None of them were pleasant experiences.

Again the requests from law enforcement were peaceful, calm and not unreasonable. Move or be moved. They choose not to be moved. Suffer the consequences.

Patriots? Not even close.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
I've watched over a dozen videos of the same incident from many different angles and news organizations that show the whole situation from beginning to end including those actions that precipitated the confrontation.

My view has not changed. I have been maced, pepper sprayed and tazed. None of them were pleasant experiences.

Again the requests from law enforcement were peaceful, calm and not unreasonable. Move or be moved. They choose not to be moved. Suffer the consequences.

Patriots? Not even close.
Again, the requests from the citizens are peaceful, calm, and not unreasonable. Govern in the interests of the citizens / society or move aside. Authorities who chose not to be directed by the citizens they have been engaged to serve will suffer the consequences.

Yes. Patriots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California