Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:55 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times

Advertisements

But this is o.k and it's really, really, o.k. for the pharmaceutical industry.

Report: 1 in 5 of US adults on behavioral meds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 AM

298 posts, read 389,869 times
The government is being foolish trying to outlaw a substance that is so popular. Stop wasting money on enforcement and instead bring in money with a reasonable excise tax.

Old 11-25-2011, 08:34 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,579 times
I never cared for the reefer. It made me have weird thoughts and made it feel like I was taking loooong, slowwww steps when I walked. LOL!

Old 11-28-2011, 11:42 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
But this is o.k and it's really, really, o.k. for the pharmaceutical industry.

Report: 1 in 5 of US adults on behavioral meds
Soma ...

Old 11-28-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Soma ...
Soma?

Old 11-28-2011, 07:11 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,406,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Soma?
Brave New World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-28-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
oh yes, got it.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,674,702 times
Default State of confusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Really... really.. Pro MM people want the rest of us to believe that this drug is so good for our society?

It has been so abused here in California and is another thing in a long list of the poor me syndrome that Californians are well known for

I voted for 215 as a policeman.. what came out the other end was unfettered drug abuse...

Come to me when this stuff is FDA approved, we have all the MJ substance treatment programs in place, roadside DUI tests are standardized and the officers are equipped with MJ PAS devices,the stuff is sold out of traditional pharmacies by licensed pharmacists, we have no public consumption laws to protect the rights of the many from breathing the obnoxious smoke, we have standardized grow laws not in our neighborhoods but in certified greenhouses.. sorry charlie its big business and pharma will get involved if you want to get high... restrict it to only those conditions that it can be proven to help of a serious nature... not PMS or anxiety or I have unspecified pain at 17 years old conditions but end of life cancer etc.. as it was intended, remove the "any other condition" language from the legislation.. there has been too much abuse...... put it in marinol pill form... in other words.. we make it a real medicine for real patients.

Until then.. its just a scam

215 would never pass today.. not after our society has seen the widespread effect of a drug abused in our communities

My opinion... only.. but supported by thousands of Californians
You are indeed entitled to your opinion, however you cannot state any absolutes without having any experience about what you say.
The Marinol pill is not as effective as the herb in natural form. Ask anyone who has taken it.
Many phari-drugs can have serious side effects.
Take aspirin for example. The pain killing compounds found in aspirin comes from the willow tree, a plant. While not 'so' serious, taking aspirin can cause stomach issues. This was not addressed for many years and then along came buffered aspirin to reduce the damage and effects of man made aspirin.
The reason why the pill caused stomach issues is because the pain killing compounds were seperated from the other compounds found in the willow that naturally buffered the stomach.
Many prescription and OTC drugs are derived from plants and other natural things and I will always prefer to take meds in their natural pure form.
Why? Well, as explained above, natural is naturally perfectly made. The stuff made in labs is either synthetic, has other weird stuff in it, or the symbiotic compounds needed have been removed/ignored.

FDA approved?!....sorry, not trusting those people when they approve meds with a side effect of 'may cause death'.

My husband was given meds for his anxiety. They were supposed to keep him calm and mellow. However what happened was quite the opposite.
He was so angry about little things.
Now give him some marijuana and he is a calm and rational person.

As for the PMS & insomnia...marijuana indeed does help. I have insomnia, marijuana puts me to sleep. I used to suffer from serious cramping. Pills did not help.

Talk about abuse, let's take a look at alcohol. Way more damaging physically as well as socially. And it's legal.

Making marijuana legal for either medical or recreational use will not change the current dynamics in society. The same number of people will use marijuana with or without a prescription.
There are many smokers who live productive lives. I am one of those people.
I got to work when I am supposed to. I go to school and have a 4.0.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,088,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
You are indeed entitled to your opinion, however you cannot state any absolutes without having any experience about what you say.
The Marinol pill is not as effective as the herb in natural form. Ask anyone who has taken it.
Many phari-drugs can have serious side effects.
Take aspirin for example. The pain killing compounds found in aspirin comes from the willow tree, a plant. While not 'so' serious, taking aspirin can cause stomach issues. This was not addressed for many years and then along came buffered aspirin to reduce the damage and effects of man made aspirin.
The reason why the pill caused stomach issues is because the pain killing compounds were seperated from the other compounds found in the willow that naturally buffered the stomach.
Many prescription and OTC drugs are derived from plants and other natural things and I will always prefer to take meds in their natural pure form.
Why? Well, as explained above, natural is naturally perfectly made. The stuff made in labs is either synthetic, has other weird stuff in it, or the symbiotic compounds needed have been removed/ignored.

FDA approved?!....sorry, not trusting those people when they approve meds with a side effect of 'may cause death'.

My husband was given meds for his anxiety. They were supposed to keep him calm and mellow. However what happened was quite the opposite.
He was so angry about little things.
Now give him some marijuana and he is a calm and rational person.

As for the PMS & insomnia...marijuana indeed does help. I have insomnia, marijuana puts me to sleep. I used to suffer from serious cramping. Pills did not help.

Talk about abuse, let's take a look at alcohol. Way more damaging physically as well as socially. And it's legal.

Making marijuana legal for either medical or recreational use will not change the current dynamics in society. The same number of people will use marijuana with or without a prescription.
There are many smokers who live productive lives. I am one of those people.
I got to work when I am supposed to. I go to school and have a 4.0.
Congratulations for living life as a productive citizen...
Unfortunately you are not the norm of those who use drugs in general...

drugs.. any drug.. that alters the human consciousness and depresses the bodies vital functions inst necessarily good for the being.. or society at large

Where I live, part of the Emerald triangle of California, MJ has severely negatively impacted the quality of life for the majority... so a minority can get high.. in an unregulated fashion
Insert what you like
Dope grow ripoffs. burglaries for drugs, robberies of collectives (soon to be shut down), armed growers protecting their crops, potential buyers 24/7 cruising neighborhoods, stoned residents, higher DUI rates.. in the case of where I live.. spiking higher geometrically .. these are not absolutes.. they are absolute facts... and this is personal knowledge.... there are a host of other negative impacts..higher addiction rates for minors, MJ easier to access than alcohol, parents passing additions to unborn fetuses, higher drug addiction counseling rates for juveniles but for the sake of the internet we can agree to disagree...

MM people like to tout how much they are doing for the economy.. but studies out of Colorado show that the real hidden costs of MM show that it only pays about 15 percent of the real cost to a community.. and anyway money shouldn't be a reason for authorizing drug use

If this drug is so good for you.. why not push federally for the FDA approval?.. we dont allow any other drug in the US to be grown in someones backyard, distributed through a network of businesses by untrained, for the most part unregulated personnel, so why should we allow this drug?

There are enough studies to prove the efficacy of MJ for a very limited set of illnesses.... but it isnt the magic elixir some make it out to be.. and in ten years we will have an entire population suffering with respiratory illnesses, possible drug addiction, and psychosis (as defined by the DSMIV manual where MJ has a special classification) which the rest of us will pay for in one way or another

I find that most people who use MM dont see their behavior as affecting others... but it does,, severely... It has been my experience that much of its use (backed by studies from places like the City of San Diego).. nearly 98 percent is linked to the "any other conditions" while only 2 percent is used for documented end of life or chronic debilitating conditions.
The alcohol vs MM argument is brought to light routinely.. I dismiss it by saying... both alter you.. alcohol has many more long term studies as to its negative effects... but MJ also isn't the harmless magic drug ... Marijuana pro/con.org has a very interesting list of 100 peer reviewed studies from all over the world.... about 36% are pro MJ (for different reasons) about 31% are con (for different reasons) and the remaining studies are inconclusive... to me that means MM isnt there yet as a quality drug for the masses..

I would never vote for it again after I have seen what it has done to my county.... it seems to me instead of becoming a nation of compassion we are becoming a nation of hedonistic, selfish, entitlement behavior...

Then again.. this is my opinion,, and I will work through the system to establish reasonable controls on out of control behavior

Somehow an altered level of consciousness and ability to reason don't seem to sync very well to me...but since I dont use any drugs/alcohol at all I guess I will never know... but then again some things DON'T need to be experienced to know they probably aren't good for you....

Thank you for your thoughts

Last edited by notmeofficer; 11-29-2011 at 12:31 AM..

Old 11-29-2011, 11:33 AM

68 posts, read 167,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
There are enough studies to prove the efficacy of MJ for a very limited set of illnesses.... but it isnt the magic elixir some make it out to be.. and in ten years we will have an entire population suffering with respiratory illnesses, possible drug addiction, and psychosis (as defined by the DSMIV manual where MJ has a special classification) which the rest of us will pay for in one way or another

MMJ has been legal for the passed 16 years, and while I live in a county with over 100 dispensaries (and enough demand to keep them opened) I haven't noticed all the emphysema-ridden, drug-addicted, schizophrenic masses that you are warning us about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California