Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,449,172 times

Advertisements

I definitely do. I spend my day working in corporate finance for a large corporation. My days are pretty hectic. Usually jeans and a button down is my attire. I keep my smart phone with me to stay on top of email and calendar changes. I talk a lot about variances to strategic plan and stuff of the like.

But I have family down near Joshua Tree who I visit for the holidays.

So totally chill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,205 times
Bear Ranger job is one dream job.... #1 in my book
Unfortunately, in the US they're hard to get, require biology degree and low-pay, plus will probably fall victim to future cuts...

Last edited by alexxiz; 05-10-2013 at 06:45 PM..

Old 05-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom125 View Post
Thanks for the responses, guys.

I guess I was a little unclear with my original post, and I apologize about that.

I don't mind having a job, and I don't mind living in a real house or in an apartment or anything like that. I mean sure, in an ideal world I would never have to work - just relax and enjoy myself all the time. But I'm not vehemently against having a job or anything. I've worked in outdoor education for a few years. Right now I live in a cabin in the woods, though I am still "on the grid"

I guess what I should have said from the beginning is that I'm not necessarily looking to stop working, or to get off the grid. Mainly I want to live in a place where I can be around other people who love and respect nature, who are out in it all the time, and who think of nature and outdoor activities the way I do - in a more humble and calm way, rather than in an obnoxious "Let's go hiking and get smashed and be loud and then post about our camping parties on Facebook" type of way.

And I was trying to see if there were any areas in California, particularly near national parks or forests, that this mindset seems more prevalent.
You might like Tahoe area... there's some seasonal work there, unlike small Sierra Nevada towns where there's generally no work unless you know someone or telecommute...

Old 05-10-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i have known those who did. off the radar. here is what happens, when people live off the radar close to the land, as long as economy is ok and u r healthy, life can be managed. but when its hard times in LA then its guna be unbearable in Needles CA. if u get sick or hurt, u will simply die.
This is true but it doesn't have to be "Needles" all the time. There're people who lived out of vans while working as engineers in Bay area for extended periods of time. Weather is good for this. Sometimes one may find a landowner willing to allow to park the van for a reasonable fee...or be stealth, or be in campgrounds...

Old 06-15-2014, 07:57 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,409 times
Quote:
Nah I don't necessarily mean hippie in the form of what they look like, I'm talking more about a hippie-style mindset.

People who are more free-spirited and less uptight about everything.
I'm that type of person at heart. Would love to run away and join with other like-minded people. Live in nature. Have been to mojave desert, death valley, have lived in arizona too, etc.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
What I got from the OP and his follow up posts isn't so much about where to live or how, it's what he perceives as 'fake' as opposed to 'real'. That's all it is though, a perception. It's seems almost a rant against popular technology more than anything else. Everyone is real, you just might not like them.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:25 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,139,299 times
I wanna hang out in Slab City someday soon and sing Uncle john's Band by the campfire

Old 08-07-2016, 08:30 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
I wanna hang out in Slab City someday soon and sing Uncle john's Band by the campfire
Now's the perfect time. August! Nice and cool.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:46 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Quote:
Is there anyone on here that lives a really relaxed, chilled-out natural lifestyle, maybe near the Mojave, Joshua Tree, Death Valley, or in the Sierras?

I've always wondered a bit about what it would be like out there and to be involved in this type of lifestyle. I'd love to read a good blog about someone who lives like this.
Back in 1968-69. Near Oatman, Arizona. Witnessed the frog and tarantula migrations. Hitchhiked to Jerome on weekends. Discovered deserted homesteads wallpapered with newspapers reporting on the 1936 Berlin Olympics. Attended a concert by Vanilla Fudge in Phoenix where Blue Cheer and Fever Tree were the opening acts. Ended up one afternoon in Needles, CA, stoned on acid and watched the premiere of Yellow Submarine.

Old 11-11-2016, 11:30 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,674,332 times
Start with this entertaining documentary:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague...the_Salton_Sea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California