Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 05:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Easy. Shall issue CCW in ALL counties.
I was going to say the same thing. Plus the scores of other firearm lawsthat restrict my civil rights.
We can also start with
Carb, not being able to modify your vehicle, having to use no spill gascontainers that do not work, not being able to heat your house with a fire,etc.
The silly speed limit, when other states have highways up to 85mph
The foods that we are not allowed to eat, shark fin soup, foie gras
The permit process to make modifications to your own property (county issue)but very prevalent across the state.

Not to mention the super high tax rates for everything; but don't worry, you can ski and surf in the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 05:32 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,973,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I was going to say the same thing. Plus the scores of other firearm lawsthat restrict my civil rights.
We can also start with
Carb, not being able to modify your vehicle, having to use no spill gascontainers that do not work, not being able to heat your house with a fire,etc.
The silly speed limit, when other states have highways up to 85mph
The foods that we are not allowed to eat, shark fin soup, foie gras
The permit process to make modifications to your own property (county issue)but very prevalent across the state.

Not to mention the super high tax rates for everything; but don't worry, you can ski and surf in the same day.
Real question for you: do you believe the onus is 100% on each buyer to ensure that the item they are purchasing is safe, properly constructed, properly maintained, and in the exact shape as advertised by the seller?

Old 06-27-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
Real question for you: do you believe the onus is 100% on each buyer to ensure that the item they are purchasing is safe, properly constructed, properly maintained, and in the exact shape as advertised by the seller?
I am not sure what your getting at. As long as the seller is not falsifying information about what he is selling then the onus is on the buyer.
Caveat emptor

Old 06-27-2013, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I am not sure what your getting at. As long as the seller is not falsifying information about what he is selling then the onus is on the buyer.
Caveat emptor
In all cases? Including from a company or just from a private seller?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:08 PM

Quote:
In all cases? Including from a company or just from a private seller?
Pretty much all cases, you would need to provide specific examples.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Pretty much all cases, you would need to provide specific examples.
Certainly.

I walk into a large car dealership in my town with the intention of purchasing a $15,000 used luxury automobile that was $35,000 new. You are free to change the numbers to fit any financial situation. I choose an automobile that the dealership tells me has had no modifications done to it while the car was in their possession, but that obviously they can't vouch for what was done under previous owners (understandable).

When I get home, I drive it for a few hours when the car suddenly and out of nowhere will no longer run. The engine won't turn over and my car is reduced to a $15,000 pile of metal and plastic. I call a buddy of mine who is a mechanic. He looks at it and sees that clearly the dealership (because their decal is on the part) DID modify the car, it turns out using the wrong part, improperly installed, by a 16 year old on his first day on the job with no experience on cars of this type. The damage done is so expensive to fix that my buddy isn't even sure it's in my interest.

Are you suggesting I am out the $15,000 because the onus was on me? Do I have recourse? Who enforces that recourse if so?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:16 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Well, the solution for people who think that California's health and environmental regulations make it a "nanny state", the solution would simply be to move away. We have too many people here, the fewer the better, and especially the fewer rightwingers (libertarian) the better. Please go to Texas or wherever that no one cares about your secondhand smoke, or the toxic pollutants from unregulated cars and factories, or whether you destroy the wilderness and kill off numerous species of plants and animals in your quest for more strip malls and big box stores.

Seriously. Just go away.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Certainly.

I walk into a large car dealership in my town with the intention of purchasing a $15,000 used luxury automobile that was $35,000 new. You are free to change the numbers to fit any financial situation. I choose an automobile that the dealership tells me has had no modifications done to it while the car was in their possession, but that obviously they can't vouch for what was done under previous owners (understandable).

When I get home, I drive it for a few hours when the car suddenly and out of nowhere will no longer run. The engine won't turn over and my car is reduced to a $15,000 pile of metal and plastic. I call a buddy of mine who is a mechanic. He looks at it and sees that clearly the dealership (because their decal is on the part) DID modify the car, it turns out using the wrong part, improperly installed, by a 16 year old on his first day on the job with no experience on cars of this type. The damage done is so expensive to fix that my buddy isn't even sure it's in my interest.

Are you suggesting I am out the $15,000 because the onus was on me? Do I have recourse? Who enforces that recourse if so?
You would have recourse because the dealer said it was not modified when they know it was. That is what the court system, specifically small claims, is for if you cannot work something out with the dealer.

If the dealer had no prior knowledge of the issue and no garunteed is promised then you are SOL.

Old 06-27-2013, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Well, the solution for people who think that California's health and environmental regulations make it a "nanny state", the solution would simply be to move away. We have too many people here, the fewer the better, and especially the fewer rightwingers (libertarian) the better. Please go to Texas or wherever that no one cares about your secondhand smoke, or the toxic pollutants from unregulated cars and factories, or whether you destroy the wilderness and kill off numerous species of plants and animals in your quest for more strip malls and big box stores.

Seriously. Just go away.
Very progresive and understanding of you. If you don't agree with me then leave. What happened to coexist?

Old 06-27-2013, 06:25 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post

Seriously. Just go away.
Good idea, let them leave and those who stay will .... get to pay higher taxes for what they want, uh, wait, for ..... humm, maybe a smaller population with no decrease in State expenditures is not such a good idea. The ones who leave have more money for vacations, etc and the ones who stay have ...... hey you can still ski and surf in the same day ........ Well in some areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California