Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 11:24 AM
zdg zdg started this thread

845 posts, read 1,973,560 times

Advertisements

I've asked this twice before inside other threads and have yet to get an answer, but I'm really genuinely interested in hearing from someone who believes that California is a nanny state that is taking their freedoms.

The question is this: can you please provide me with a single on-going daily freedom that California has kept you from enjoying that you can enjoy freely in multiple other states in the union (so no one-off things, like some single weird state allows you to Facebook-friend goats but California won't let you)?

I'll start with the example I used the last time I asked this within another thread:
"I like to drink alcohol. I lived in Texas for 33 years and was unable, by state law, to purchase alcohol on a specific day of the week because the state allowed metaphysical nonsense that I did not agree with to supersede my personal freedom to purchase alcohol for half of the weekend. Thankfully, when I moved to out of Nanny State Texas to New York and then California, I was able to purchase alcohol all seven days of the week without state imposed restrictions based on someone else's belief that they knew better than I what was best for me."

This isn't a trap or a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what daily freedoms California has stripped you of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 11:37 AM

19,222 posts, read 16,714,281 times
Smoking banned from public parks and beaches. Not that it matters to me but wouldn't this be considered a personal freedom that's been taken away? After all, parks and beaches are in the open air, not a closed-in establishment.

And how about requiring everyone to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. I can understand a motorcycle since those are taken out on the freeway and travel at speeds the same as automobiles but a two-wheel bicycle?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:40 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times
I've always thought that, If common sense was so common, why do we need to enact laws against behavior that any idiot should know not to do it?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:42 AM

Oh wait. Here's another one.

Everyone MUST turn headlights on when operating windshield wipers.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Oh wait. Here's another one.

Everyone MUST turn headlights on when operating windshield wipers.
You have the freedom/right to be less visible to other cars in a rainstorm? That really irks you?

Old 06-27-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
You have the freedom/right to be less visible to other cars in a rainstorm? That really irks you?
It doesn't irk me, at all. You asked for examples of personal freedoms that have been taken away by the state. I gave you examples. Simple as that.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:16 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,226,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
The question is this: can you please provide me with a single on-going daily freedom that California has kept you from enjoying that you can enjoy freely in multiple other states in the union (so no one-off things, like some single weird state allows you to Facebook-friend goats but California won't let you)?

This isn't a trap or a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what daily freedoms California has stripped you of.
There have been thousands of posts going back many years on CD addressing this issue, but this is a good place to start for some basic information.
www.freedominthe50states.org/overall/california

Old 06-27-2013, 12:22 PM

That is an interesting site, no doubt, but I'm really asking for specific daily freedoms from real people. Not saying there aren't some on that site, but I'm looking more for stuff like "I used to be able to eat cheese in March and now California won't let me."

Old 06-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
It doesn't irk me, at all. You asked for examples of personal freedoms that have been taken away by the state. I gave you examples. Simple as that.
You're right, my apologies.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:28 PM

Reading that site right now. This one is particularly interesting:

Quote:
Despite a reputation for social liberalism, California scores badly on personal freedoms. It has the strictest gun control laws in the country, prohibiting open carry and making concealed carry almost impossible, banning several types of weapons, imposing waiting periods on all firearms purchases, and onerously regulating dealers and ammunition. After Alaska, it has the most relaxed marijuana laws, but it nevertheless has a high incarceration rate, and its drug enforcement rate is only average. It shares the maximum possible score on marriage freedom with several other states, because it allows civil unions equivalent to marriage. California was the first state to enact a smoking ban in restaurants and bars, but the ban is slightly less strict than those since adopted in other states. Travel freedom is low due to a primary seat belt law, motorcycle and bicycle helmet laws, a statewide primary-enforcement cell phone driving ban, an open-container law, and sobriety checkpoints. Little gambling is allowed.
I do agree with the "cell phone driving ban" as the number of fatalities because someone was talking/texting is on the rise, even with the restriction. Sobriety checkpoints may catch a few but most drunks (chronic ones) use back roads to get from point A to point B and can go years without getting caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California