Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would cause you to leave California?
If it became unaffordable for me... 59 48.36%
If politics got too liberal/conservative/moderate... 17 13.93%
If it gets too crowded... 26 21.31%
If I had to move for work.... 26 21.31%
Nothing. I can't leave California, family/sunshine/hollywood/natural beauty/etc keeps me here and I can't find it anywhere else. 40 32.79%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,512,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
It really shouldn't matter. But I know why it happens. Part of it boils down to human nature. One man's dream location is another's nightmare. While it's the same 'physical place' it is something completely different in their minds - different realities in fact. Hence the dramatic declarations and statements which are all so frequent on the forum such as Escape the liberal, overcrowded, overpriced, over-regulated, nanny state, hell hole called California now! Quick, the sky is falling so get out while you still can! I mean why should anyone who lives here take that personal, right? They are only speaking of the place most of us love and enjoy daily. We who live in CA out of choice because it's the best state for us see it in a completely different way. When someone shouts from the rooftops how crappy the liberal bastion called CA is in a discussion forum there will be debate. In fact if I go to any other state forum and proclaim what a crappy state it is as 'circles the drain' people will comment there is well.

Derek
LOL! Kinda like rooting for your favorite high school sports teams. Both my wife and I have true affinities for California as the state of our births as well as our careers. In the end we simply became drawn elsewhere. There was a time when I was horribly disappointed in and angry with California and let it be known but I think a lot of that was due to the nature of my work. Being well-versed in politics is, in the final analysis, a curse. Thankfully, that's well behind me now where it will remain. Interestingly enough, both of my wife's daughters moved to other states within the past two or three years. One lasted nine or 10 months elsewhere and the other seven months before moving back to Sacramento. Elsewhere isn't for everyone. Some 38 million people, and growing, agree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,562,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Winter2001 View Post
Mr. 5150, Please enlighten with details!
So you have no idea where the Gold Country is located? Now that is funny.

Have you ever used Google or driven north of Thousand Oaks?

California Gold Country, tours and vacation ideas. Plan your California Gold Country vacation and travel online at VisitCalifornia.com - Visit California

Gold Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California Hwy 49 Gold Rush Country Mother Lode Business Shopping Restaurant Real Estate Lodging

Quote:
Buddy, since you're living in heaven on earth, wherever that is, then why not indulge us with where you are? Like what town in Nor Cal? Please indulge us because we are all ears.

Ps. We own multiple homes around the US. Mostly rentals. MT, FL, CA, CO, etc.
Ask me if I care that you own "multiple homes". I am not impressed. And who is this "us" of which you speak? Gads, you don't even know where the Gold Country is located.

I love where I live. You hate where you live. Ask yourself; which of us is better off?

Last edited by Mr5150; 07-12-2014 at 10:27 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 10:32 PM

21,760 posts, read 16,393,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
So you have no idea where the Gold Country is located? Now that is funny.

Have you ever used Google or driven north of Thousand Oaks?

California Gold Country, tours and vacation ideas. Plan your California Gold Country vacation and travel online at VisitCalifornia.com - Visit California

Gold Country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

California Hwy 49 Gold Rush Country Mother Lode Business Shopping Restaurant Real Estate Lodging

Ask me if I care that you own "multiple homes". I am not impressed. And who is this "us" of which you speak? Gads, you don't even know where the Gold Country is located.

I love where I live. You hate where you live. Ask yourself; which of us is better off?
The fapper doesn't live in Montana and he doesn't own multiple homes either. Just one place under a bridge.

Old 07-12-2014, 11:35 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,018,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francisco Farragut View Post
ilegals everwhere
Everything overpriced
overpopulation
gangs and drugs
Extreme liberal loonies

i could go on
when i first moved to california this was not the image i had in my head
i am a first generation mexican american
and no i am not a BEANER or an ilegal, i am a white mexican and i am sick of the sterotypes i encounter in this state
"HIS name hispanic, he is of the minority mestizo, he is ilegal beaner"

I AM ON THE VERGE OF LEAVING

i should add even though i am a foreginer, their are too many foreginers here
i came to the USA to become an AMERICAN not to stay a Mexican
their is hardly any american culture left here

what happened to apple pie and baseball ?

all i see is tacos and football !

I left mexico and i love mexico but i left mexico to get away from mexico
i left to become an american
You're like the Mexican "Clayton Bigsby".

Old 07-13-2014, 12:19 AM

174 posts, read 255,505 times
Jealousy Happens!

Old 07-13-2014, 12:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,666,087 times
Quote:
Buddy, since you're living in heaven on earth, wherever that is, then why not indulge us with where you are? Like what town in Nor Cal? Please indulge us because we are all ears.

Ps. We own multiple homes around the US. Mostly rentals. MT, FL, CA, CO, etc.

LOL..is this supposed to impress people? Let's say it is even true, you would have to be a fool to own property in all those states. As a long distance landlord you have no idea what is going on when you're on the either side of the country.

Even if you hire a property management company, wait till you get the call telling you the tenants bailed, appliances are gone, and there are holes in the wall. Or there is illegal activities going on.

And having that many properties you're going to have some problem tenants, and especially in a transient state like FL.

Smarter ways of investing your money.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:19 AM

174 posts, read 255,505 times
Life is good but we have our share of deadbeats.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:04 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Based on what you've described you would probably be happier in these other states with loser environment, driving, gun controls, etc... Seriously. In addition they are cheaper. So you can afford to run the A/C and/or heat as often as needed. I really don't think California is for everyone. That's why we have so many moving in and out daily. Sometimes it better to let someone new enjoy the state for what it is and go somewhere else you feel more aligned to or in touch with. I don't mean this in any kind of facetious way either.

For some whether native or not I just don't see what is still keeping them in CA? Curmudgeon is a good example of this. He is happy living the dream in another state now. Let's face it, we're not all going to stay in CA through retirement. Like anywhere CA has its own set of pros/cons which one either excepts for better or worse. I think it healthier to move on if frustrated/disgruntled than remain. Life is just too short to be living like an old (or young) grouch because of something which one can change (where to live).

Derek
I moved out going on six years ago. I lived in the IE. The air was grey and goopy most of the year around and I couldn't walk a block without having to stop and catch my breath. Amid the sea of forclosed homes, the rents for dinkly little apartments the rent was ridiculas. The traffic stuffed around 2OOk people's cars into streets which worked at 70 k. I was so delighted when I visited my friend here to see blue skies, air which was breathable and actual open space with green and trees on it I decided then and there. My town has a population of about 1100 including the people who work for the oil company who go home on weekends and the out of town farm lands and the prison. Compared to the continuous suburb of socal its so much more to my liking.

If it doesn't sound interesting to you, then you don't have to move here. But what this place really reminds me of is the San Fernando valley when I was a wee kid, growing up there when it was just shifting from farms to suburbs. The last time I was out there I could pick out the familiar now and then, but most of it didn't mean anything. Going home again may not be the best idea.

Politically I don't much like either state, but politics don't matter so much as the other considerations.

I think everyone should feel free without guilt to stay where they love or move away to somewhere else they might and neither are 'wrong' in decided that.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:12 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,283,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
The only part of CA you seem to relate to is LA. 97% of CA is rural/or wilderness. 97% of CA has no traffic issues and is not expensive, unless you call $170K-200K (median home price) expensive. You should sell you place in LA and Make Montana you full time home. Life is to short.
I didn't want to live in a city. The median price for a home in non cities was far too much for me, so I moved to where a small house can be gotten for 40k or less. I did not want to live in an apartment. It was hot in the summer and the wind blew all the time where I lived, and where I live. But its a house and the tweeker neighbor isn't a wall away and I have tall trees and a yard for my dogs to run in. Sometimes that sort of thing is more important than an overload of stuff around you.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:24 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,697,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
By the way, in modern usage, "cur" pertains to a mongrel. Your insult is not welcome.
Upon reflection this morning, I'm going to apologize, Curmudgeon. But I truly didn't mean anything by using 'cur' -- I was just using a short cut of your name. Only us old ones, I think, know that 'cur' is a not nice name for a mongrel dog. [I would never intentionally call anyone on C-D a bad name. I don't need to call someone a bad name to insult him/her. ] Again, seriously, I do apologize. I do see, in light of my whole post, how you might think I was calling you an insulting name. Not my intention at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California