Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2017, 10:04 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is the popularity of abortion in California due to fears of overpopulation?
Doubt it - abortion is intensely a personal choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 10:30 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
A retirement income income greater than $80,000 is high. The average income for retirees is approximately $35,000.

Much of my income is exempt from CA state income tax. SS is exempt for example. With the exemptions and deductions, I pay zero state income tax. I can't tell you all the details because my taxes are done by my accountant.
Thanks. I had no idea the avg retirement income is so low. Living in the higher priced areas like the Bay Area probably doesn't have those folks I guess.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:02 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Thanks. I had no idea the avg retirement income is so low. Living in the higher priced areas like the Bay Area probably doesn't have those folks I guess.
Thought you might find this article interesting. It sort of gives you an idea of what the average retirement is for those who worked in the California public sector. It's fairly accurate but you must remember that not all retirees worked in the system for 30 years so their retirement amount will be smaller. Less years, lower base salary, Etc., but it's still pretty interesting.

What is the Average Pension for a Retired Government Worker in California? | California Policy Center

A few of our resident CD skeptics who think all public sector retirees should read it instead of spouting off about six figure retirements. While there are those who worked at the very top of the ladder, i.e. admin and public safety do fair better, those on the lower end make far less and there are more of those than there are the ones at the top.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:33 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
My retirement income is considerably above $80,000. I was not a government worker. My income comes from SS and investments.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
My retirement income is considerably above $80,000. I was not a government worker. My income comes from SS and investments.
And you are in the minority. Me too, as my income when I retire will also be above that.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:20 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Thought you might find this article interesting. It sort of gives you an idea of what the average retirement is for those who worked in the California public sector. It's fairly accurate but you must remember that not all retirees worked in the system for 30 years so their retirement amount will be smaller. Less years, lower base salary, Etc., but it's still pretty interesting.

What is the Average Pension for a Retired Government Worker in California? | California Policy Center

A few of our resident CD skeptics who think all public sector retirees should read it instead of spouting off about six figure retirements. While there are those who worked at the very top of the ladder, i.e. admin and public safety do fair better, those on the lower end make far less and there are more of those than there are the ones at the top.
Those figures are skewed. Many workers are collecting low value retirements from retiring long ago. I know a lot of Los Angeles workers who bring in 100k + just in payments. These are mechanics and electricians. This does not include the medical, dental and survivor packages that they get.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:23 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
About 4 years ago I was talking to my Fed Ex driver in Pleasanton Ca. He owned a house there but told me when he retired he couldn't afford to stay there in that house. Maybe he still had a mortgage and I estimate he probably bought it for $500K. He said he was going to have to move somewhere cheaper. I don't know what his numbers were, but I always figured if you already had your house for a bit you were going to be okay. If he paid $500K I would venture to say it's worth $950 to 1 million.

Old 07-15-2017, 09:25 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
About 4 years ago I was talking to my Fed Ex driver in Pleasanton Ca. He owned a house there but told me when he retired he couldn't afford to stay there in that house. Maybe he still had a mortgage and I estimate he probably bought it for $500K. He said he was going to have to move somewhere cheaper. I don't know what his numbers were, but I always figured if you already had your house for a bit you were going to be okay. If he paid $500K I would venture to say it's worth $950 to 1 million.
He can move to Tracy, CA. I just checked yesterday it's about $500k for 3500sqft.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:11 AM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Pleasanton CA is very nice. I bet that his house is worth a lot more than $1 million.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:46 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would never retire in NW Arkansas or southern MO period, and I am quite familiar with the area. Rural areas there in general leave much to be desired with rampant poverty, drug abuse, and very low levels of infrastructure- even for an area with low population. Severe weather and flooding seem to be common occurrences in that particular area, better have property on a huge hill far from any water source. My retirement destination will only be in the northern US as I've really begun to despise the heat, humidity, and brutal sun even more as I've gotten older. I like the northern Great Lakes region, preferably Marquette, MI or the Northwoods of WI. That area has always been a good fit for me, probably because I have so much northern European ancestry. Yes, I enjoy the snow and cold temperatures quite a bit, and plan to build a well insulated (R-60) small log cabin style property on some acreage close to a chain of naturally occurring lakes, not reservoirs like in the southern US.

A high quality of life for those not phased by snow and cold at all.

All pictures taken by myself:
Are you sure you didn't have the music from Deliverance playing while you wrote that? Since you like the north, snow and MI, why not stretch our retirement dollars and settle in Detroit? Seems to me it would be perfect for you.

For the record, I live on the shore of a lake but the house is about 75 feet above the normal water line. Flooding is not an issue. As for the occasional "severe" weather, well, sometimes we simply serve up excitement. It's not for the faint of heart.

The good news is, you don't have to like the Ozarks; something which you've made clear many times that you don't. By the same token, I don't have to like the north, snow and cities. Not my idea of a high QOL. As always, it's just a matter of personal likes and dislikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California