Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,341,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
As you described, sherrifs answer directly to the people, the police chiefs don't.

Illegals don't live homogeneously in all immigrant communities, they live in the ghetto parts of town. Irvine has many large immigrant communities, so does Santa Ana (Stabba Ana) and Anaheim (Anacrime), guess where the illegals live? So it's not all immigration communities. And those communities don't cooperate with police, you don't talk to the chota. We talk about reducing the illegal population and then you block the very thing that would help capture and report them based on something that has no factual backing. Illegals shouldnt feel comfortable here. What is your incentive to keep illegals here?
Boy, you sure don’t understand the dynamic at all.

Yes, sherrifs are elected which doesn’t mean a thing about the correctness - or not - of the electorate’s opinion ... take yourself, for example.

Illegals don’t live in all immigrant communities. So what? Who said they did? And the reality that certain immigrant communities don’t talk to the police is EXACTLY the point. The more the immigrants fear deportation of themselves, their relatives, friends, neighbors - the less cooperative they are, ever. Right. Exactly.

And your notion that causing communities to shut off any crime reporting and cooperation with the cops would somehow translate to removing any statistically significant number of illegals is hilarious. Without community cooperation very few - very few - criminals will be identified and caught.

I have zero incentive to keep illegals here. As far as I’m concerned borders should be sealed, E-Verify in effect, jail for employers caught using illegals ... I simply recognize that LE has their hands tied without community support. Those hear-no-evil, speak-no-evil, see-no-evil communities don’t want crime in their midst either. If they’re not afaid of local cops, they’ll identify bad guys.

What’s your incentive to make criminals comfortable?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:46 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramidsurf View Post
I wouldn't count on it.
California is turning into a state of rich and poor. The Rich won't care and the poor get tax breaks. Those few suckers in the middle income brackets who stick around will not have enough of a voice to make a difference.
I'm not sure I follow your reasoning. Prop 13 protects homeowners from large tax increases. The California income tax is ranked number two in tax progressivity in the US https://taxfoundation.org/which-stat...ncome-taxes-0/

Old 12-05-2018, 08:25 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Boy, you sure don’t understand the dynamic at all.

Yes, sherrifs are elected which doesn’t mean a thing about the correctness - or not - of the electorate’s opinion ... take yourself, for example.

Illegals don’t live in all immigrant communities. So what? Who said they did? And the reality that certain immigrant communities don’t talk to the police is EXACTLY the point. The more the immigrants fear deportation of themselves, their relatives, friends, neighbors - the less cooperative they are, ever. Right. Exactly.

And your notion that causing communities to shut off any crime reporting and cooperation with the cops would somehow translate to removing any statistically significant number of illegals is hilarious. Without community cooperation very few - very few - criminals will be identified and caught.

I have zero incentive to keep illegals here. As far as I’m concerned borders should be sealed, E-Verify in effect, jail for employers caught using illegals ... I simply recognize that LE has their hands tied without community support. Those hear-no-evil, speak-no-evil, see-no-evil communities don’t want crime in their midst either. If they’re not afaid of local cops, they’ll identify bad guys.

What’s your incentive to make criminals comfortable?
And your notion that causing communities to shut off any crime reporting and cooperation with the cops would somehow translate to removing any statistically significant number of illegals is hilarious.

Ghetto communities don't talk to cops, always been the case. I never suggested to cut off communication between "immigrant communities" and cops. Cops interact with those people a lot anyway, and in some cases arrest them. Illegal aliens don't help cops identify bad guys.

You don't want cops to inform ICE of a possible illegal alien so they can investigate, these people are interacting with cops for a reason and not good ones. The notion that illegals are calling cops to their homes is the actual hilarious part. :ROFL:

Old 12-05-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
And your notion that causing communities to shut off any crime reporting and cooperation with the cops would somehow translate to removing any statistically significant number of illegals is hilarious.

Ghetto communities don't talk to cops, always been the case. I never suggested to cut off communication between "immigrant communities" and cops. Cops interact with those people a lot anyway, and in some cases arrest them. Illegal aliens don't help cops identify bad guys.

You don't want cops to inform ICE of a possible illegal alien so they can investigate, these people are interacting with cops for a reason and not good ones. The notion that illegals are calling cops to their homes is the actual hilarious part. :ROFL:
Your lack of understanding and education on this issue runs deep. Now, I can scour around the internet and cite articles to showcase my points. And you could scour around and find articles from such right-wing, anti-immigration venues as the CATO Institute and Center for Immigration Studies to argue yours.

Rather, let’s go to an article from conservative Salt Lake City, in which the police chief there, himself, comments on the realities his department has actually tracked ... which concur with natironal university studies on the topic:
Quote:
Fearful of deportation, unauthorized immigrants in Salt Lake City are not reporting crime, police chief says
New national study: Immigrants in sanctuary cities cooperate more fully with police, moderating crime and making communities safer.

Since Donald Trump won the Republican Party nomination for president after deriding Mexican immigrants as rapists and criminals, reports of some types of criminal activity from the Latino community to Salt Lake City police have dropped off significantly.

Police Chief Mike Brown fears that undocumented immigrants have receded into the shadows for fear of being deported.

Brown cited a police department analysis of recent data, which comes as a new national report reveals that there are long-term benefits to working with the immigrant community, particularly undocumented immigrants who otherwise may be too frightened to interact with law enforcement. For example, robberies are down in cities where unauthorized immigrants are not fearful that interacting with local police will lead to deportation, the national report says.

... a December report in the Justice Quarterly by a pair of sociologists disputes Trump’s assertions that sanctuary cities harbor greater numbers of immigrant criminals than other cities.

Municipalities that adopt sanctuary policies for undocumented immigrants do not have higher rates of robbery and homicide than those that cooperate more fully with federal immigration officials. That is the analysis by Ricardo D. Martinez-Schuldt, a doctoral candidate in sociology at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, and Daniel E. Martinez, assistant professor of sociology at the University of Arizona, in their report “Sanctuary Policies and City-Level Incidents of violence, 1990-2010.”
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2018/01/...ce-chief-says/
... So the question remains: why would you want to protect criminals?

Old 12-05-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
And your notion that causing communities to shut off any crime reporting and cooperation with the cops would somehow translate to removing any statistically significant number of illegals is hilarious.:
Want also point out that I never suggested that shutting “off any crime reporting and cooperation with the cops would somehow translate to removing any statistically significant number of illegals” ... I correctly pointed out that it would reduce local LE ability to catch criminals in the community and get them jailed and to court for their local offense. ... never said a thing about subsequent deportation. Just reducing local crime.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:

Don't waste your time with polemicists.

Old 12-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Don't waste your time with polemicists.
... particularly if your position is readily proven false ... and especially if the polemicist is really really good at debate, eh OC? . Lmfao

Old 12-05-2018, 04:09 PM

508 posts, read 615,977 times
Better question. Why is the Republican Party alienating itself? One of the last remaining Republicans with any sort of integrity is John Kasich. The ONLY reason and I mean ONLY reason why Republicans haven’t lost “Red States” like my home state of Alabama for instance, is because of gerrymandering. The Republican Party is basically dead. They did it to themselves. When money is more important than HUMAN RIGHTS, it’s never going to end well.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:22 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Want also point out that I never suggested that shutting “off any crime reporting and cooperation with the cops would somehow translate to removing any statistically significant number of illegals” ... I correctly pointed out that it would reduce local LE ability to catch criminals in the community and get them jailed and to court for their local offense. ... never said a thing about subsequent deportation. Just reducing local crime.
Police are most likely interacting with people that broke laws, not the ones that didn't. I would prefer that police contact ICE when they suspect someone of being illegal with the overall goal of removing as many illegals as possible. I really won't scour the internet for specific reports supporting my point, but I do like your strawman of how I will supposedly cite a study and how you dismiss it. And I can find some information about the news article (lol) and point out how it's biased (undocumented immigrants aka unregistered patriots lol). The police are interacting with criminals on the daily, not ICE, let them report potential illegals.

I know you try to come off as even keel and dismiss arguments with humor but it's pretty obvious how you align.

Why do you want to protect people that break our laws, illegal aliens?

Old 12-05-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Police are most likely interacting with people that broke laws, not the ones that didn't. I would prefer that police contact ICE when they suspect someone of being illegal with the overall goal of removing as many illegals as possible. I really won't scour the internet for specific reports supporting my point, but I do like your strawman of how I will supposedly cite a study and how you dismiss it. And I can find some information about the news article (lol) and point out how it's biased (undocumented immigrants aka unregistered patriots lol). The police are interacting with criminals on the daily, not ICE, let them report potential illegals.

I know you try to come off as even keel and dismiss arguments with humor but it's pretty obvious how you align.

Why do you want to protect people that break our laws, illegal aliens?
Max ... police are almost never there when crimes occur. They are called to respond. But not when victims and witnesses are afraid of the cops.

Your priority to rid the nation of illegals is admirable ... but silly ... there are 11 million of them. Most of them working and well integrated into communities. Just clearing them all out is more disruptive than helpful.

I do agree they shouldn’t be here and the whole mess shouldn’t be tolerated to continue. But it needs to be unraveled through staged policy that includes stopping the in-flow.

I didn’t propose any strawman. Not sure you understand what a stawman is, the way you wrote that. I said, rather than battle over articles that each other could call biased, I’ll go straight to reporting from a conservative leaning source and community, to quote their police chief who cited stats his department monitors and which align in his department’s experience with the larger, academic study cited.

Have no idea where you got “unregistered patriots” ... but I sure am curious to hear.

The only way police “interact with criminals daily” is if they are called, as I pointed out earlier.

The question remains: why are you protecting criminals by ignoring the need for the community to report and identify them? My priority is law enforcement at the community level first.

As to how I “align”? Lol. No, you haven’t got a clue bub. Because you are too focused on “aligning” everyone based on whether they agree with you or not. If they don’t: they are libruls! And you never go past that to understand the position for the disagreement.

I despise Trump .: therefore .: I am a liberal ... in your mind. Even though I can cite conservatives all day and night who despise Trump.

Hillary was the worst candidate the Dem’s have ever fielded for POTUS. Ever.

I am so states’ rights I think the whole country needs to be realigned into independent commonwealth regions that share common defense, trade, and citizen benefits.

I am so anti-immigration I think nearly no one should be allowed to come to America.

I am bullish on maintaining a powerful military.

I support complete elimination of ALL welfare programs - to be replaced by UBI paid equally to every adult citizen regardless of wealth.

But because I think single-payer, government controlled medical coverage for all is necessary ... ba-da-bing ... in your mind I align “librul”.

No brotherman ... I align with logic, science, and anthropology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California