Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2018, 12:47 PM

8,337 posts, read 2,966,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Erm lots of Republicans, the big business variety, e.g. the Koch brothers, are big fans of endless cheap labor and they oppose efforts to enforce our immigration laws. So let’s be honest about both parties.

Agreed. We must also agree that democrat leaders often vote against enforcement of existing immigration laws, sanctuary cities always have liberal mayors and California is a Democrat run sanctuary state.

Democrat leaders care more about turning illegals into democrat voters than enforcing our immigration laws. Those that do that are flat out traitors and should be removed and probably jailed. The same goes for those of any party that don't do their part to enforce existing law.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,722,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
In the last twenty years or so about two million people have moved out of California for other states. Many are white and I'd wager most are Republican (don't say "source" - I'm just guessing). The white population continues to vote pretty much 50/50 for Republicans and Democrats. Depending on the candidate it will tip one way or the other. African-Americans overwhelmingly vote Democrat (over 90%). This is a given. Latinos vote about two thirds Democrat - that can vary a bit depending on candidate. Asians vote about 70% Democrat. This doesn't vary much regardless who is in the White House. The white population (that 50/50 split group) has decreased from 57% in 1990 to 38% today. The percentage of minorities who are eligible to vote has risen over time as more are born here or become naturalized. Given voting trends among the groups it stands to reason that the Republicans were eventually going to get to the point they can't win a state wide office. It is changing demographics brought on by domestic migration and immigration over the past 30 or 40 years. It was inevitable. What has happened in California is now starting to occur in other places around the country. Texas and Arizona will probably soon join Virginia as a "purple" state for the same reasons. Florida too. Other states will follow (look at how close the governor's race was in once solidly Republican Georgia).
Many white Californians who have recently moved out of state or are planning to move out of state in the near future have observed the demographic and political changes that are currently occurring in other Sun Belt states such as Arizona, Florida and Texas. As a result, you don’t meet that many Californians who are moving to those states, at least not in 2018. It seems as if white Californians are now moving to smaller, colder, more homogenous states like Kansas, Tennessee and Utah in greater numbers. And if I ever left California, I would do the same.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Agreed. We must also agree that democrat leaders often vote against enforcement of existing immigration laws, sanctuary cities always have liberal mayors and California is a Democrat run sanctuary state.

Democrat leaders care more about turning illegals into democrat voters than enforcing our immigration laws. Those that do that are flat out traitors and should be removed and probably jailed. The same goes for those of any party that don't do their part to enforce existing law.
Ask the question instead: what can the GOP in California do to improve their political fortunes in a state where they have become irrelevant?

Hint: Splitting out ideological screeds like the above might make ya feel good, but doesn't advance or suggest any solutions to the question above.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:46 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,145,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I voted for Prop 13, way back when I was an apartment dweller, so I'm not clear on your "fear a backlash" question.
Ah so you are no doubt another retiree social justice crusader on CD. If you voted in 1978, the likelihood of your working now, over 40 years later, is very small.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:01 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Start putting employers in jail who hire illegals and require mandatory e-verify. You do that and the magnet that causes people to come here illegally is gone. But have no fear, that won't happen because legislators are paid off by agra, poultry & meat processors, construction trades and the hospitality industry to make sure that there is a steady stream of cheap labor.

The wall is just red meat for the base, most illegals enter through a port of entry and unless you are going to shut them all down the 'wall' won't do jack.
who do you think hires these illegals? businessmen..who mostly they vote? GOP

Old 12-02-2018, 11:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Well ok, but many (if not most) Democrats want to abolish or at least weaken ICE whereas your idea (which has been out there for many years) requires a huge increase in ICE.

Law enforcement is not exactly the Dem's strong suit so you'll excuse my skepticism. After all, we were just recently told that concern over the caravans (and the possibility they will become common place) is fear mongering; that the caravan is far away; that it is just women and children; that they just want a better life; that the US foreign policy is responsible for Honduras' poverty anyway; that the US has a "moral duty" to take them in; that the US hates brown people; that the caravans were not in any way coordinated; that the current administration likes to shoot tear gas canisters at innocent brown women and children.
I haven't suggested getting rid of ICE, what I recommend is that they increase their pay, and that of CBP so that they can attract and retain good employees and that their training should be the equivalent of civilian police training.

Perhaps we could have a number of things that we agree on but unfortunately you attribute to me every thing that you have ever heard that some democrat or liberal supposedly said. I'm a democrat and not ashamed of that but we don't have some kind of hive mentality, so assuming that I agree with what some random person said, or that you heard they said makes it futile to try to have a discussion.

People do come here for a better life, if we had conditions such as they do in parts of Mexico and Central America we too would be looking for a better place to live but that doesn't mean that we have to let everyone in who wants to be here. What I am hoping is that the NAFTA replacement is less harmful to the people south of the border than NAFTA was, small farmers were decimated by NAFTA. As long as we pursue policies that keep Mexico and Central American countries from prospering we will have people trying to come here, so a number of things have to happen in order to keep people in their own countries; People need jobs and a safe place to live in their native country and we need to punish any employer who hires people who are not here legally, and we need better trained CBP officers who won't allow illegals to enter the US for a price, and ICE agents who are well trained professionals, not police academy dropouts.

The most rational way to handle it is to get tough on employers who hire them and send the message that this is not a place where an illegal immigrant will prosper because no one will hire them. At the same time create rational work visa programs that benefit both foreign workers and the employers who hire them but make sure that those laborers are paid the same or more than American workers, we can't keep using visas like we do the H1B to lower wages and eliminate jobs for Americans.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:15 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Ah so you are no doubt another retiree social justice crusader on CD. If you voted in 1978, the likelihood of your working now, over 40 years later, is very small.
Not a retiree, sorry; still working, thanks.

You sure make a lot of assumptions about people based on very little evidence.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 AM

3,049 posts, read 4,547,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Many white Californians who have recently moved out of state or are planning to move out of state in the near future have observed the demographic and political changes that are currently occurring in other Sun Belt states such as Arizona, Florida and Texas. As a result, you don’t meet that many Californians who are moving to those states, at least not in 2018. It seems as if white Californians are now moving to smaller, colder, more homogenous states like Kansas, Tennessee and Utah in greater numbers. And if I ever left California, I would do the same.
Tennessee is not "homogenous". At all. It has a huge black population.

Kansas has a lot of Hispanics. Dodge City is a Hispanic city now.

Utah has a lot of immigrants from the Pacific Islands (Samoans) and Hispanics now.

It's just a shame that people leave a place because they are that racist to the core?

Old 12-03-2018, 10:30 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
That it all must be so labeled to you exactly confirms my point.

You have no concept of why I hold H.W. Bush 41 in high regard while condemning D.J.T. do you?
You don’t grasp the lessons of anthropological science either.

It’s all just liberals and conservatives to you. You are a Hoffer True Believer if there ever was one.
I imagine it's for the same reason most liberals do these days. Presidents tend to do better when seen through the lens of history. Bush senior was vilified during his term by liberals. Now liberals see that his policies, overall, were good ones, and he was a decent president. The same will happen to Bush junior over time. And (gasp) to Trump as well.

The same thing happened to Carter. He was fawned over during his term, yet history has shown that while he is a wonderful humanitarian, he was one of the worst presidents in recent history.

Old 12-03-2018, 10:53 AM

21,739 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I imagine it's for the same reason most liberals do these days. Presidents tend to do better when seen through the lens of history. Bush senior was vilified during his term by liberals. Now liberals see that his policies, overall, were good ones, and he was a decent president. The same will happen to Bush junior over time. And (gasp) to Trump as well.

The same thing happened to Carter. He was fawned over during his term, yet history has shown that while he is a wonderful humanitarian, he was one of the worst presidents in recent history.
I am not a Democrat (not a Republican or Libertarian, either)
Have never voted a straight Democratic ticket in my life that I recall
I voted for HW. (And Ah-nold)
I never “vilified” HW during his term or since
He was better than “decent”
The same will never be applied to his son, GW

And the Donald will go down in history as the absolute worst ever. He is despicable in every regard. He is not a conservative. He is not moral, honest or decent by any definition. His only “policy” is to do whatever it takes to get “ratings” from a bizarre base of aging, white, True Believers ... because those types of fanatically susceptible minds are the only people who will praise him in his fathomless need to feel adored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California