Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 08:56 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times

Advertisements

Talk about a misleading headline...all it basically confirms is that California continued to drain people at the same rate as in years prior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 10:33 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,536,471 times
A strange analogy just popped into my head. Reminding me of when we lived in the San Bernardino mountains during the Old Fire in '03. The fires came close to town and lots of people went down the mountain to the evac center, and some went to the next town over until the fire showed up there and then they ended up coming down the mountain.

Maybe most people don't necessarily move far away from their hometown when it becomes unlivable due to hcol, crime etc. but just keep migrating out a little at a time. When the place closest becomes too hot, they look further afield. What's after Sacramento? Yup, Fresno, Redding, heck maybe even Weed, Ca.!

Of course politics are a motive as well, so some of those folks will be attracted to more conservative states.
Some, like us, wanted to get away from high rents, and also wanted a different environment so went to Vancouver, Wa. Politics were a minor concern.

Speaking of Redding, we could have moved to one of my brother's properties, but he's a couple of miles outside of the city and it doesn't have the internet my hubby needs for work. Sigh, we have mixed feelings about that area, but I've just heard that it's being discovered. It needs work, but if the right people move in, it's possible. Yes, it's hotter than heck, but not as hot as Phoenix, and not humid like Houston.

Speaking of the fire analogy though, fires are a concern now just about everywhere in most of California.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:40 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Talk about a misleading headline...all it basically confirms is that California continued to drain people at the same rate as in years prior.
It's fun to use semantics and word play to poke fun at those pointing out a real issue.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:42 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
I wonder if anyone in this forum, who lives in California, has noticed people "draining" away from the state (or "flocking" to other states, or "fleeing in droves"--pick your idiom of choice). I for one have not noticed any increase in houses for sale over the last 12 years (since the crash; there were a lot then), no decrease in traffic or in crowds in public places (pre-Covid), or anything else that would indicate that a significant number of people are moving away and leaving empty spaces.

But the mantra "People are fleeing California" seems to be very popular and firmly believed. Why?

Old 03-10-2021, 10:51 AM

795 posts, read 407,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wonder if anyone in this forum, who lives in California, has noticed people "draining" away from the state (or "flocking" to other states, or "fleeing in droves"--pick your idiom of choice). I for one have not noticed any increase in houses for sale over the last 12 years (since the crash; there were a lot then), no decrease in traffic or in crowds in public places (pre-Covid), or anything else that would indicate that a significant number of people are moving away and leaving empty spaces.

But the mantra "People are fleeing California" seems to be very popular and firmly believed. Why?
I know many people who either have fled, or are working on fleeing the state. Friend last year bought land in Idaho and built a house on it. Another friend is going up to Utah over spring break to check out areas for a move. Another is planning to move to northern Nevada within the next 3 years or so. We are fleeing to Maine at the end of June. My sister in law and her husband are looking at Wisconsin, my in laws are planning to flee after my father in law retires. My old neighbor across the street fled about a year ago. Another neighbor is on their way out of state as well.

The reason it doesn’t look like we are loosing ground is because now we have a fresh flood of people crossing the southern border since they are no longer afraid of being kicked right back where they came from. Also an influx of people from other states that just don’t know any better (yet). I’m. It really complaining. These idiots coming in from other states that don’t realize how bad California really is will pay top dollar for my current home when it goes on the market which is what will allow me to pay for our new home in Maine for cash and not have a mortgage.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:03 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
The reason it doesn’t look like we are losing ground is because now we have a fresh flood of people crossing the southern border since they are no longer afraid of being kicked right back where they came from.
No, not the case. Are you talking about people who have crossed the border in the past three months? And you're suggesting that these people have already filled in all the gaps across the state left by people "fleeing," and are indistinguishable in appearance, manner, and speech from native Californians?

By the way, all my life (50+ years in California) there have always been some people moving out of state; nothing new about that. I had family members leaving California as early as 1970. Of course, the word "fleeing" wasn't trendy then; they simply said they were moving away for a job or for family or for a different climate, or what not. You can give all the anecdotal evidence you like about people you know who are moving, but that doesn't change the fact that the state is not visibly depleted in any way.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:22 AM

6,498 posts, read 7,527,078 times
Quote:
The reason it doesn’t look like we are loosing ground is because now we have a fresh flood of people crossing the southern border since they are no longer afraid of being kicked right back where they came from.
Not sure I buy this argument, who says these people that come here illegally or seeking asylum even remain in the state?

Old 03-10-2021, 11:26 AM

21,727 posts, read 16,331,178 times
Quote:
I know many people who either have fled, or are working on fleeing the state. Friend last year bought land in Idaho and built a house on it. Another friend is going up to Utah over spring break to check out areas for a move. Another is planning to move to northern Nevada within the next 3 years or so. We are fleeing to Maine at the end of June. My sister in law and her husband are looking at Wisconsin, my in laws are planning to flee after my father in law retires. My old neighbor across the street fled about a year ago. Another neighbor is on their way out of state as well.

The reason it doesn’t look like we are loosing ground is because now we have a fresh flood of people crossing the southern border since they are no longer afraid of being kicked right back where they came from. Also an influx of people from other states that just don’t know any better (yet). I’m. It really complaining. These idiots coming in from other states that don’t realize how bad California really is will pay top dollar for my current home when it goes on the market which is what will allow me to pay for our new home in Maine for cash and not have a mortgage.
It’s truly great that you are leaving. Hope you can convince all your friends to go, as well. Bon voyage! I'll stay behind here to sweep up

Old 03-10-2021, 11:49 AM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

It's political. You mainly see headlines like this on right-wing outlets (Fox News, OAN, NewsMax, The Blaze, etc).

California is emblematic of liberalism. Texas is emblematic of conservatism. Any and every move out of California is "proof" that liberalism has failed in the eyes of the right. Their audience need a steady diet of anti-liberal screeds and California is an easy target. There's more than meets the eye here, though.

California is where things are invented and come to life. Texas is where things go when they need to cut back and save.

Look at Oracle, as an example. It came to life in Sunnyvale (near San Jose) and thrived when Java was a thing. It's offices in Redwood City are spectacular. However, Oracle is no longer the dynamic company it once was. It maintains a profit margin by hiring a bullish team of lawyers to chase contracts and stop consumers of its products from using other software. The mere mention of Oracle now elicits anger in the tech world, not awe like it once did.

Oracle will be completing its move to Austin TX this year.

Old 03-10-2021, 11:53 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:

I left Ca last May. My friend moved to Idaho last Dec. my other friend moved to New Hampshire last fall. We’re all relieved to be out of Ca and living great lives. There’s a reason Uhaul is 3x more expensive to leave Ca then to move in. Good luck selling your house I think under Biden house prices will fall soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California