Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 12:02 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,052,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I left Ca last May. My friend moved to Idaho last Dec. my other friend moved to New Hampshire last fall. We’re all relieved to be out of Ca and living great lives. There’s a reason Uhaul is 3x more expensive to leave Ca then to move in. Good luck selling your house I think under Biden house prices will fall soon.

Yet...you just can't quit "looking back", can ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 12:15 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
Yet...you just can't quit "looking back", can ya?
And you can’t stop your obsession with people outside Ca commenting. I think I’m allowed to comment when the question pertains to something I experienced. Sorry if it hurts your feelings.

Old 03-10-2021, 12:44 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I wonder if anyone in this forum, who lives in California, has noticed people "draining" away from the state (or "flocking" to other states, or "fleeing in droves"--pick your idiom of choice). I for one have not noticed any increase in houses for sale over the last 12 years (since the crash; there were a lot then), no decrease in traffic or in crowds in public places (pre-Covid), or anything else that would indicate that a significant number of people are moving away and leaving empty spaces.

But the mantra "People are fleeing California" seems to be very popular and firmly believed. Why?
I work out here, and you could have fooled me. Rush hour (rush period is more like it) is still bad

Old 03-10-2021, 01:09 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
When I retired in 2014, I moved to Maui because I had always wanted to live here. The fact that my pension was not taxable here was a bonus. If I ever leave here it will be back to California.

Meanwhile, my brother and his family just moved from Sacramento to Reno. They made offers on several houses only to get outbid by transplants from the Bay Area. A reduced tax burden was a big motivator. Eventually they found a beautiful new home with a five-car garage, LOL.

I also know several people who recently moved from California to Oregon and one to Idaho. Again, lower taxes was cited.

All of us were relatively high-income earners (more than $100k).

Taxes and politics seem to be the common threads for leaving.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 03-10-2021 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Punctuation repair

Old 03-10-2021, 01:22 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
It's political. You mainly see headlines like this on right-wing outlets (Fox News, OAN, NewsMax, The Blaze, etc).

California is emblematic of liberalism. Texas is emblematic of conservatism. Any and every move out of California is "proof" that liberalism has failed in the eyes of the right. Their audience need a steady diet of anti-liberal screeds and California is an easy target. There's more than meets the eye here, though.

California is where things are invented and come to life. Texas is where things go when they need to cut back and save.

Look at Oracle, as an example. It came to life in Sunnyvale (near San Jose) and thrived when Java was a thing. It's offices in Redwood City are spectacular. However, Oracle is no longer the dynamic company it once was. It maintains a profit margin by hiring a bullish team of lawyers to chase contracts and stop consumers of its products from using other software. The mere mention of Oracle now elicits anger in the tech world, not awe like it once did.

Oracle will be completing its move to Austin TX this year.
Oracle just announced earnings yesterday and they were bullish. Not sure if I'd be using this as your one and only example.

Lots of examples of left learning news covering the CA "exodus".

And, yes, lots of innovation in CA, but also lots elsewhere. TX is usually 2nd or 3rd in patent filings.

Also - whats with the combative tone? Not only are you wrong (about Oracle, and only right wing news carrying the stories), but you're wrong about the basis of your arguments?
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...eachers-actors
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/succe...mic/index.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/b...ng-crisis.html

Old 03-10-2021, 01:53 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Oracle just announced earnings yesterday and they were bullish. Not sure if I'd be using this as your one and only example.

Lots of examples of left learning news covering the CA "exodus".

And, yes, lots of innovation in CA, but also lots elsewhere. TX is usually 2nd or 3rd in patent filings.

Also - whats with the combative tone? Not only are you wrong (about Oracle, and only right wing news carrying the stories), but you're wrong about the basis of your arguments?
https://www.latimes.com/california/s...eachers-actors
https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/01/succe...mic/index.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/b...ng-crisis.html
Welcome to the California forum. Anything not agreeing with any Democrat politician is considered right-wing conservative, just take a look at the Recall Newsom thread.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:57 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,590,425 times
I live in CA, and have lived in many other states. I'm 3rd gen CA, so not sure why you think I "left".

Old 03-10-2021, 02:23 PM

936 posts, read 2,068,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
I left Ca last May. My friend moved to Idaho last Dec. my other friend moved to New Hampshire last fall. We’re all relieved to be out of Ca and living great lives. There’s a reason Uhaul is 3x more expensive to leave Ca then to move in. Good luck selling your house I think under Biden house prices will fall soon.
It's called supply and demand. Order a uhual in a large city there is more demand. Order one in a small city, less demand.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:25 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,178,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowen View Post
It's called supply and demand. Order a uhual in a large city there is more demand. Order one in a small city, less demand.
Your right it is supply and demand. There’s too much demand and not enough supply for all the people leaving Ca

Old 03-10-2021, 03:52 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,689,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
"Net exits from San Francisco between the end of last March and the end of 2020 increased 649% as compared to the same period in 2019. About two-thirds remained within the 11-county Bay Area economic region, and 80% stayed in California."

So can I look forward to a nice 2 bedroom with a bay view for $1500 a month!?

I'm so excited!!!
I was aging that much for a 2 bdrm apartment in 1995
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California