Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 07:49 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,483,812 times

Advertisements

We just lost a couple to FL that we've known for 10+ years
Our club soccer teams lost 4 families this year

A lot of middle-class folks are bailing, I think the school closures pushed them over the edge. It's not an exodus necessarily, but it's true there are a lot of people no longer willing or able to put up with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 08:11 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,536 times
LOL. Thanks for thread. I too have been posting a lot of data. All data show that there is no such thing as exodus. Whether it is housing values, job postings, postal code relocations, credit card data etc.

The foxnews crowd ignore them and just revert to “oh yeah, well my grandma’s third cousin’s daughter in law’s stepbrother’s dogsitter’s kindergarten teacher left because she sick of taxes and mexicans, so CA is going down the crapper!!!”

Old 03-10-2021, 09:20 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSD1995 View Post
We just lost a couple to FL that we've known for 10+ years
Our club soccer teams lost 4 families this year

A lot of middle-class folks are bailing, I think the school closures pushed them over the edge. It's not an exodus necessarily, but it's true there are a lot of people no longer willing or able to put up with it.
This I believe!, It is super tempting for families to cash out and live like kings in other states. I've contemplated it myself with my home now worth twice as much as when I bought it in 2010. The problem with the "mass exodus" story is that houses are snatched up in a matter of a couple of weeks after they are in the market. Then folks counter with "it's illegals filling their spots" but illegals are not buying 600 to 900K homes.

Old 03-10-2021, 09:36 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,619,316 times
I’ve yet to see all these people that are moving just leave their house behind with nobody new coming in to live in it either by purchasing it or renting it. Wouldn’t that be a requirement if there is a mass exodus?

And if our population is finally starting to stabilize then that is a good thing.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,979,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Well this is what the actual data says... https://www.recenter.tamu.edu/data/p...ate/California

California has stagnant growth because of a positive natural increase and positive international migration growth, although that number continues to fall to other states (CA has a smaller share of international growth today compared to years prior). It's domestic migration number is in the negatives by the hundreds of thousands annually at this point, and has only widened as the years go on.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:27 PM

795 posts, read 408,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
This I believe!, It is super tempting for families to cash out and live like kings in other states. I've contemplated it myself with my home now worth twice as much as when I bought it in 2010. The problem with the "mass exodus" story is that houses are snatched up in a matter of a couple of weeks after they are in the market. Then folks counter with "it's illegals filling their spots" but illegals are not buying 600 to 900K homes.
That is what I am doing. Selling our 3 bed 2.5 bath 1k sq ft house on a small suburban lot and buying a 6 bed, 5 bath, 5500 sq ft home on 24 acres in Rural Maine for cash. No mortgage, lower taxes, lower cost of living overall means I can live a far better life there and not have to worry about the insane politics, rules, regulations, homeless, druggies, crime, smog, ridiculous gun laws, illegals, gender confused sickos, pot shops on every street corner, high taxes, crappy schools, a nazi governor, traffic, and every other thing wrong with this state on a daily basis anymore. Good riddance to all of it. You can keep the weather and skiing and surfing in the same day.

Oh, and yes the border jumpers do buy the 600k plus homes, just not as a small family. They pack three families totaling 12 people into a 3 bedroom shoebox so they can get it cheap, run down the property values and taxes and send the proceeds back down south.

Old 03-10-2021, 10:45 PM

6,507 posts, read 7,541,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92greenyj View Post
Oh, and yes the border jumpers do buy the 600k plus homes, just not as a small family. They pack three families totaling 12 people into a 3 bedroom shoebox so they can get it cheap, run down the property values and taxes and send the proceeds back down south.
^^ Asian (Filip/Vietnamese) families do this as well; most are here legally, have a strong familial unit and do what they need to do to survive. None of the recent buyers around me in Eastern SD are even Mexican/Hispanic let alone illegals. Your reality is not everyone elses, the group of people that packed into the house down the street from in late 2020 me are all black/white and military. Other person that bought a home close by was white and the other couple here legally from Ukraine. Its not "illegals" buying up the homes around here, I live in El Cajon/Lakeside in SD County BTW.

I do agree with some of the other things you are annoyed with, but it certainly hasn't been enough to start a mass exodus and keep people from buying.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:06 AM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
The only time we had the situation with multiple people/families sharing a house was back in the early 2000s when banks were pushing those subprime mortgages. I recall three houses in my vicinity where there were multiple cars parked all over the place and people coming and going at all hours. I didn't care what race they were or what language they spoke, but I did care that they threw their trash into the street or into neighbors' backyards, and let their kids run screaming through the streets at 11pm.

It was in a way a relief when all three houses were foreclosed and the people left, but on the other hand I couldn't help but feel sorry for they way they had been taken advantage of financially. The houses were cleaned up and bought by couples or families and there has been very little turnover in our neighborhood since then.

Old 03-11-2021, 08:11 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
^^ Asian (Filip/Vietnamese) families do this as well; most are here legally, have a strong familial unit and do what they need to do to survive. None of the recent buyers around me in Eastern SD are even Mexican/Hispanic let alone illegals. Your reality is not everyone elses, the group of people that packed into the house down the street from in late 2020 me are all black/white and military. Other person that bought a home close by was white and the other couple here legally from Ukraine. Its not "illegals" buying up the homes around here, I live in El Cajon/Lakeside in SD County BTW.

I do agree with some of the other things you are annoyed with, but it certainly hasn't been enough to start a mass exodus and keep people from buying.
Asians did this for years in Hawaii. Gathered together, shared expenses bought a house and the over time a member family was helped to buy theirs and then over more time another family group bought theirs, etc. It was quite common. I am sure it is happening in CA with various ethnic groups.

Old 03-11-2021, 09:29 AM

85 posts, read 70,916 times
Why would you leave California for Tejas unless you really can't buy here or get offered something WAY better in Tejas? As much i dislike the l*bs who run my home state and proud right winger, I wouldn't move to Texas. I am not fond of Texans generally and my family is all here in California. Many right winger friends of mine are in the same boat as me about Texas and are looking elsewhere.

Florida does look good though; excellent beaches and great broads there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California