Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 03:54 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
Well, I understand the technology that could limit speed to a certain fixed level, e.g., 65 mph, and that it could be programmed to that level. But how does the device "know" what the posted speed limit is? Is it connected to GPS and a database of roads and speed limits and school hours, etc. And is such a database instantaneously and reliably updated every time there is a change? I doubt it !

For 10 years I drove a certain state route in Virginia past a school that had been abandoned 30 years previously. My Garmin GPS still flashed "school zone 25 mph" whenever I drove by at the posted speed limit ( 55 mph ).

Methinks it would very hard to keep those maps updated.

Or maybe these newfangled cars would have sensors and "read" the posted speed limits from signs along the way? So what about bushes that are allowed by DOT to prevent drivers ( and sensors ) from seeing and reading those signs.

So problem one is technology. Problem two is trusting people to update the database or keep the signs clear.

Either way I would conclude we simply don't have the means to deploy a reliable system pegged to the actual posted speed limits.
I recently had a Toyota Corolla as a rental car on a trip to Florida. It had an indicator on the dashboard of the posted speed limit on the various roads. When I was at or under the speed limit, the little icon was white, but when I exceeded the speed limit it turned red. So apparently some type of sensing technology already exists.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:56 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,710,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I recently had a Toyota Corolla as a rental car on a trip to Florida. It had an indicator on the dashboard of the posted speed limit on the various roads. When I was at or under the speed limit, the little icon was white, but when I exceeded the speed limit it turned red. So apparently some type of sensing technology already exists.
My Highlander will show the posted speed limit, doesn't turn red though, but not all the time. I think some sort of camera or sensor will read the sign but my car doesn't always show it.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:58 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,184,283 times
Quote:
...Or maybe these newfangled cars would have sensors and "read" the posted speed limits from signs along the way?...
I think that technology already exists; a friend of mine was showing me that his new (to him - he bought it used) Toyota displays the speed limit on his dashboard - it shows up whenever a "Speed Limit" sign comes into view, so the car must have a camera facing forward that is tied to a computer that can recognize a "Speed Limit" sign and do OCR on what it sees.

I believe it's part of their "Toyota Safety Sense™":
"Using an intelligent camera, Road Sign Assist (RSA) is designed to detect speed limit signs, stop signs, Do Not Enter signs, yield signs and certain warning signs, and display an icon of the sign on the Multi-Information Display (MID)."

Old 01-24-2024, 04:04 PM

520 posts, read 278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Yes, my new car does that also, but I don't know if it is tied to the navigation system or to sensors. I will have to monitor the next time I go for a drive and see if can tell. I know my old Garmin was tied to the speed limits embedded in the not-frequently-updated maps.

My point was that either way, it would likely not be reliable. Can you imagine the hassle of getting a ticket and having to prove the map was outdated or the sensor not seeing an obscured sign. Even another car on the road could easily obscure a speed limit sign.

Sharing such unreliable performance data with an insurance company could also cause problems.

Oh, but of it was 75% reliable, would that be good enough. I don't think so. Needs to be 99-100% reliable to work effectively. Even if it weren't such a bad idea.

Old 01-24-2024, 04:05 PM

520 posts, read 278,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyInSD View Post
I think that technology already exists; a friend of mine was showing me that his new (to him - he bought it used) Toyota displays the speed limit on his dashboard - it shows up whenever a "Speed Limit" sign comes into view, so the car must have a camera facing forward that is tied to a computer that can recognize a "Speed Limit" sign and do OCR on what it sees.

I believe it's part of their "Toyota Safety Sense™":
"Using an intelligent camera, Road Sign Assist (RSA) is designed to detect speed limit signs, stop signs, Do Not Enter signs, yield signs and certain warning signs, and display an icon of the sign on the Multi-Information Display (MID)."
That is interesting. Perhaps that is what my new car is doing also. If reliable, then surely better than relying on a navigation database.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:39 PM

7,496 posts, read 3,907,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC97 View Post
^^ Yup. That's the guy.
I thought his focus was genital mutilation of children without parental consent and things like that?

Scott & Friends

Old 01-24-2024, 06:43 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,749,760 times
If this pass many of us here might just keep our current car and spend the savings on major repairs and maintenance. New Corvettes, Mustangs and Porsches could become endangered species. Whenever I read something like that I can't help wondering what would be victimized next?

In the good old times we had radar detectors and Highway Patrol, but I guess if you can't work from home than better don't work at all.

Last edited by mgforshort; 01-24-2024 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-24-2024, 06:57 PM

8,090 posts, read 12,822,529 times
They already have a hard-on for so-called "assault rifles"; why wouldn't they try to neuter your ability to speed as well? In most states, speeding kills more people than assault rifles.

Old 01-24-2024, 06:58 PM

50,464 posts, read 47,192,013 times
Most new cars have GPS. Do you want your big Govt controlling your car's computer with it?

Old 01-24-2024, 07:05 PM

15,531 posts, read 7,559,449 times
Quote:
Well, I understand the technology that could limit speed to a certain fixed level, e.g., 65 mph, and that it could be programmed to that level. But how does the device "know" what the posted speed limit is? Is it connected to GPS and a database of roads and speed limits and school hours, etc. And is such a database instantaneously and reliably updated every time there is a change? I doubt it !

For 10 years I drove a certain state route in Virginia past a school that had been abandoned 30 years previously. My Garmin GPS still flashed "school zone 25 mph" whenever I drove by at the posted speed limit ( 55 mph ).

Methinks it would very hard to keep those maps updated.

Or maybe these newfangled cars would have sensors and "read" the posted speed limits from signs along the way? So what about bushes that are allowed by DOT to prevent drivers ( and sensors ) from seeing and reading those signs.

So problem one is technology. Problem two is trusting people to update the database or keep the signs clear.

Either way I would conclude we simply don't have the means to deploy a reliable system pegged to the actual posted speed limits.
My wife's Subaru Outback reads the speed limit signs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California