Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 12:01 AM

35,205 posts, read 17,114,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post

But of all these ideas and 1000s more just like it - please, by all means, allow the ingestion of hazardous narcotics and import of undocumented immigrants to continue unabated.

Nice job, CA.
The ultimate Nanny state. They want to infantalize their citizenry while others run rampant.

Old 01-26-2024, 01:49 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,620,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Discriminating against people with newer cars is neither illegal nor a violation of the US or CA constitutions.
No, however, if cars from California cannot be used outside the state, this could be held to be an excessive burden on interstate commerce...

Old 01-26-2024, 01:54 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,241,458 times
Of course no one "needs" liberty and freedom on public roads. Access and usage was always a privilege granted by governments instituted to rule us. And surely the additional revenues from fining rule breakers will be an added benefit to the government.

What kind of nonsense is it that one would think they have personal liberty to use all public roads and waterways, as a creator endowed right!

Old 01-26-2024, 06:43 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,576,051 times
Although I doubt something like this will become law, I would not be surprised if at least a third of the populace of California would be in favor of it. I know people right now that would prefer all cars be driverless and set to the current speed limits. The arguments people make against this (i.e. getting away from someone chasing you, having a baby, etc.) are things that happen on very rare occasions. The amount of traffic fatalities that could be deterred by this far exceed those isolated situations. Putting laws in place for seat belts also took away some personal freedoms (for those that obey the law and don't stupidly drive without them). There's no doubt that they have saved lives.

With that said, I seldom if ever drive more than 10 miles beyond the posted speed limit. I see no reason to. Clearly there are already laws in place against people doing this, but being that we tend to be so short-staffed to police this situation, it would save much of the labor cost involved with having to have more officers and highway patrol.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:21 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,826,993 times
This pushes my plans to buy a new car for a special occasion in 2027 to 2026. No point in complaining as I'm certain the bill will pass and Newsom will sign it. No amount of hell raising will deter this. You get the bad with the good in a deep blue state like ours. Have to consider many people will support this.
If people are upset enough about it they can try to put it on the ballot. There may be a chance they would go with the passive governor that gives a warning sound. We'll see.
Of course I can see a new market for electronic devices that would jam the GPS, etc. signals needed to monitor speed.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:05 AM

8,362 posts, read 6,457,193 times
If that becomes the law then they also should be banned from the left lane on the freeway.

Old 01-26-2024, 09:25 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,749,760 times
We are watching 2 local TV stations for local news every night. I can't offer solid numbers, but my estimate is that about half or two thirds of fatal accidents are head-on collisions on a two-lane road. It is implied, and often proved that the offending driver was using a cell phone. If the State would be serious about saving lives an update on all cell phones rendering them useless at a speed over 5 mph would work great. By the way most fatal accidents happen on local roads, not on the freeways where much higher speeds are common.

Cars don't kill people. Speed doesn't kill people. Guns don't kill people. Only stupid people kill people.

Old 01-26-2024, 10:11 AM

24,663 posts, read 11,001,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
No, however, if cars from California cannot be used outside the state, this could be held to be an excessive burden on interstate commerce...
Use your imagination and recent experiences in Europe and the US - driving an EV 18-wheeler in winter from Cali to Mass anyone?

Old 01-26-2024, 10:30 AM

4,880 posts, read 6,950,786 times
Don't you guys ever get sick of bending over and taking it from your (in their mind) omnipotent state government "WIENERS"? (pun intended)

It won't be long and the only car you'll legally be able to drive will be Fred Flintstone's. You'll be eating bugs for dinner and cooking on wood stoves, but you'll save the planet all by yourself .

Old 01-26-2024, 10:53 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,061,854 times
I saw this comment on the SFist page. It's something to think about when weighing everything:

Quote:
"...people are being cut down right and left, including young children, newlyweds, brilliant and promising actors, schoolteachers, and other heartbreaking stories which almost all happen because someone was speeding. That’s why Weiner is proposing this bill, and I say, not a moment too soon. The technology is out there to not let you start your car if you’re drunk, not allow you to speed, nevermind designing automotive bodies so they won’t strike you in the upper torso with lethal force and be almost certain to kill you instead of other designs which have much less impact. There are so many things we could be doing to make our roadways safer but we don’t do any of them because we basically DGAS if it in any way interferes with someone’s ability to drive. I don’t agree with Weiner on a lot of things but in this one he’s exactly right. It’s way past time we start to catch up with the rest of the developed world and start making things safer for the people outside of motor vehicles instead of just the people who are in them."
http://https://sfist.com/2024/01/24/...e-speed-limit/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California