Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2024, 11:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,247,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
I saw this comment on the SFist page. It's something to think about when weighing everything:

http://https://sfist.com/2024/01/24/...e-speed-limit/
If the "mowing down" of these children and brilliant people was such a major concern, why did they recently legalize jaywalking???

Old 01-26-2024, 02:56 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Ridiculous, in fact that can be a safety issue if an innocent citizen is trying to flee a criminal attack or get an injured person to a hospital. Another hazard is the new cars only going 10 over and the older cars going 15-20 over, on the same road.

I would contest this on the basis of discrimination against people with newer cars, since the people who are in older cars are not subject to the same control.

How often have you had to outrun criminals who are chasing you?

There is going to be a time when all car insurance companies will require monitors on cars they insure instead of just being an option now. And I am sure this will be everywhere at some point. That will all go away when all cars are self driving.

I am not really for this kind of thing. But it will happen

Old 01-26-2024, 06:54 PM

35,206 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Don't you guys ever get sick of bending over and taking it from your (in their mind) omnipotent state government "WIENERS"? (pun intended)

It won't be long and the only car you'll legally be able to drive will be Fred Flintstone's. You'll be eating bugs for dinner and cooking on wood stoves, but you'll save the planet all by yourself .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
How often have you had to outrun criminals who are chasing you?

There is going to be a time when all car insurance companies will require monitors on cars they insure instead of just being an option now. And I am sure this will be everywhere at some point. That will all go away when all cars are self driving.

I am not really for this kind of thing. But it will happen
What's needed is for people to speak up. Stop being sheep. We live in a free society. No reason why "this kind of thing" has to happen unless adults opt for baby sitters.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:27 PM

30,205 posts, read 11,863,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
What's needed is for people to speak up. Stop being sheep. We live in a free society. No reason why "this kind of thing" has to happen unless adults opt for baby sitters.
Ideally we live in a free society. But that was more in the days of the founding fathers. Now everywhere you go, everything you buy and everything you say is tracked and monitored. The NSA just bought everyone's web browing information without needing a warrant. But now we are going to draw the line on California telling us how fast we can drive. . Sorry but its too late.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:48 PM

21,765 posts, read 16,410,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
… we live in a free society. …
No we don’t. Never have. How silly.

And *we* wouldn’t ever agree on how to behave if we did anyway.

Roll a joint. Enjoy your incarceration.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:16 PM

35,206 posts, read 17,123,279 times
Quote:
Ideally we live in a free society. But that was more in the days of the founding fathers. Now everywhere you go, everything you buy and everything you say is tracked and monitored. The NSA just bought everyone's web browing information without needing a warrant.
I take it for granted, and always have, that my location was open and notorious. It might bother me if it was known and I was trying to cheat on my wife.

Quote:
But now we are going to draw the line on California telling us how fast we can drive. . Sorry but its too late.
Yes, lines must be drawn. Authorities must be told to "stop."

Old 01-27-2024, 07:22 AM

6,458 posts, read 4,949,074 times
What happens if you are trying to pass and the other car speeds up? I can see people having fun with this. Every time someone tries to pass, you speed up 10 mph and they can never pass you. Road rage!!!

Old 01-27-2024, 08:58 AM

15,533 posts, read 7,565,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
What happens if you are trying to pass and the other car speeds up? I can see people having fun with this. Every time someone tries to pass, you speed up 10 mph and they can never pass you. Road rage!!!
People need to be more patient. The flip side of your scenario is the morons who pass then slow down.

Old 01-28-2024, 05:51 PM

37,155 posts, read 42,278,198 times
When you see a politician introducing things that place weird limits on citizens, especially when it imposes new mandatory changes to the products we use, please vote them out. It's a huge red flag to what kind of person they are and we all know that allowing controlling policies never stops, it only gets more controlling.

Old 01-28-2024, 06:13 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,577,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
When you see a politician introducing things that place weird limits on citizens, especially when it imposes new mandatory changes to the products we use, please vote them out. It's a huge red flag to what kind of person they are and we all know that allowing controlling policies never stops, it only gets more controlling.
Perhaps the public like the idea so there's no reason for them to vote them out. What I've noticed going through this thread is the naysayers just ignore the counter arguments and just keep mentioning these outliers that are few and far between (i.e. criminals chasing you, women having babies, people blocking others and not letting them change lanes...that one being the silliest since anyone can do that now by simply accelerating or slowing down).

I mentioned earlier that I wouldn't expect this to pass. But I may change my mind on that thought if the best people can argue against this is their free-dumb. We do not live in a free society and their are plenty of laws enacted to prevent society from being the Wild, Wild West. And those laws are in place because the voting contingency want it that way.

Do you have a reasonable counter argument to those that say a law like this will reduce traffic fatalities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California