Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2024, 10:24 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

California could require car ‘governors’ that limit speeding to 10 mph over posted limits

California would become the first state to require new vehicles be equipped with speed governors — technology that limits how fast they can be driven — under legislation by San Francisco state Sen. Scott Wiener.

The bill, introduced Wednesday, would require cars and trucks of the 2027 model year or later that are built or sold in California to include speed governors that would prohibit motorists from driving more than 10 mph over posted speed limits.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:52 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,874,326 times
I really wish every car manufacturer and sales lot in CA would just say, Thanks, See ya.

How will this tech work? What will stop cars from coasting down hills faster in neutral? What happens in transitions when I'm going 65, now it's 35? Sudden stop? Or am I still speeding?

What if I'm having a baby, a heart attack, or a intestinal event? What if I'm trying to merge but about to get smashed by two semi's that were manufactured out of state?

But mostly - what if I do a thing of any type mildly unsafe to myself or anyone else? How will the government completely protect me? Can we put temperature limits on my hot water tank to something below 100 degrees? Maybe we should all switch to EZ Bake ovens, because, hey, the real thing is dangerously hot. You can still "stick your finger in a light socket" so those things gotta go - outlets too. No reason I should be personally responsible for even the slightest of risks. Please, please, mandate that all cold ocean water be outlawed, people drown in there. All dogs over 10 pounds gotta go. All livestock, those things kill people all the time. Sidewalks - which lead to pedestrians - which lead to someone stepping in traffic - DEAD - no more sidewalks.

But of all these ideas and 1000s more just like it - please, by all means, allow the ingestion of hazardous narcotics and import of undocumented immigrants to continue unabated.

Nice job, CA.

/end rant. apologies.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:42 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Ridiculous, in fact that can be a safety issue if an innocent citizen is trying to flee a criminal attack or get an injured person to a hospital. Another hazard is the new cars only going 10 over and the older cars going 15-20 over, on the same road.

I would contest this on the basis of discrimination against people with newer cars, since the people who are in older cars are not subject to the same control.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:19 PM

50,251 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
California could require car ‘governors’ that limit speeding to 10 mph over posted limits

California would become the first state to require new vehicles be equipped with speed governors — technology that limits how fast they can be driven — under legislation by San Francisco state Sen. Scott Wiener.

The bill, introduced Wednesday, would require cars and trucks of the 2027 model year or later that are built or sold in California to include speed governors that would prohibit motorists from driving more than 10 mph over posted speed limits.
What an idiot. So we'll be getting ran over in Utah. These clowns don't really think things through. Like the mileage tax. If I drive to Colorado most of my trip will be outside of CA. Am I to pay tax for the entire trip? Who wants a gps so the govt can track your every move. They already tried to con phone companies out of their data to see who broke the lockdowns.

Old 01-24-2024, 01:45 PM

115 posts, read 46,395 times
That Weiner is as stupid as a rock. States outside Ca have 80 mph speed limits. Knowing Ca in the future its citizens will be locked in and unable to drive outside Ca. Unbelievable….

Old 01-24-2024, 02:47 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,691,377 times
This state gets less and less appealing all the time.

Old 01-24-2024, 02:54 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
I had to look that up to see which idiot came up with that idea. Scott Wiener. Shocker! It'll never happen. I don't think the registered drivers of this state will go for that. That little pip squeak will have a fight on his hands. How'd this guy get elected anyway? smh

Old 01-24-2024, 03:03 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,785,370 times
Sen. Scott Wiener, the sexual degenerate, now wants speed limiters on cars?

He must own a performance shop gearing up to remove the limiters for fat stacks.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:09 PM

19,201 posts, read 16,683,192 times
^^ Yup. That's the guy.

Old 01-24-2024, 03:22 PM

506 posts, read 261,104 times
Well, I understand the technology that could limit speed to a certain fixed level, e.g., 65 mph, and that it could be programmed to that level. But how does the device "know" what the posted speed limit is? Is it connected to GPS and a database of roads and speed limits and school hours, etc. And is such a database instantaneously and reliably updated every time there is a change? I doubt it !

For 10 years I drove a certain state route in Virginia past a school that had been abandoned 30 years previously. My Garmin GPS still flashed "school zone 25 mph" whenever I drove by at the posted speed limit ( 55 mph ).

Methinks it would very hard to keep those maps updated.

Or maybe these newfangled cars would have sensors and "read" the posted speed limits from signs along the way? So what about bushes that are allowed by DOT to prevent drivers ( and sensors ) from seeing and reading those signs.

So problem one is technology. Problem two is trusting people to update the database or keep the signs clear.

Either way I would conclude we simply don't have the means to deploy a reliable system pegged to the actual posted speed limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California