Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 10:42 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,614,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
The wheels turn slowly and change only comes with time. I'm sure your kids will look back to "the turn of the century" and see many attrocities(sp?) and unjust laws, just as they will see freedoms we have that they will be denied. Regardless of personal feelings about homosexuality, I think the prop never should have made it to the ballot as it violates the 14th amendment. Right now, I think we have so many more important things going on, the energy used, on both sides of prop 8 could be used for something better.(I say this not to belittle anyone who is passionate about the subject, only because I feel it is a non issue, 14th amendment!)
Good point & ironic that Mormons\Baptists have donated $27 million to prop 8 [can't understand how they justify this

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Bakersfield is ground zero for the GOP in California. The fact that a radical like Mettler is a school board member is a poor reflection on California. Born in Fresno, I know Republican strength but was surprised by a Fresno poster pointing out that Fresno county is how 50/50% w/ Democrats & expected to become another 'Blue' Central Valley county

There is an interview in today's LA Times of a Fresno priest who spoke against Prop 8 & is on disciplinary suspension. The priest said he could not support a measure that is contrary to Christian values.

Looks like tempers are high in Central California.
Yeah, he and Chad Vegas embody right wing craziness. For real. I'm hoping Fresno will start swinging left more often to balance out Bakersfield's overwhelming support for the Religious Wrong. That's so awesome that a priest spoke out on it. I think the pastor of my parent's church is voting no but he can't really say that in church. I think it's because priesthood was his calling and he doesn't want to lose that because the church hasn't caught up with society yet. Tempers are so high, it's already boiling over. There was a blog posted on the website from an eyewitness and he said that standing out there each day they'd get screamed at and one time in particular a soccer mom with her six year old kid in the front seat (isn't that dangerous to have young kids in the front seat?) pulled up and called all of the protesters the "F" word, and not the one that ends in "ck," the one that ends in "ot."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
The wheels turn slowly and change only comes with time. I'm sure your kids will look back to "the turn of the century" and see many attrocities(sp?) and unjust laws, just as they will see freedoms we have that they will be denied. Regardless of personal feelings about homosexuality, I think the prop never should have made it to the ballot as it violates the 14th amendment. Right now, I think we have so many more important things going on, the energy used, on both sides of prop 8 could be used for something better.(I say this not to belittle anyone who is passionate about the subject, only because I feel it is a non issue, 14th amendment!)
I agree, why is it so important for them to impose their religious will on me? I'm afraid if they win this other things will start to go their way. Wouldn't it be strange to suddenly see normal, smart kids being homeschooled and Christian Evangelicals and Pentecostals in public schools because suddenly teachers are forced to teach creationism? What's next? Prayer in school? And I bet it would be Christian prayer too. They would never concede to prayer in school if that meant that in order to pray a Christian prayer their kid would also have to sit through Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, and Buddhist prayers. I wish Prop 8 wasn't up for a vote right now, believe me, I'd rather focus on other things that actually impact people but I have to support No on 8 because if I don't then there's no telling what freedom the Religious Wrong will take from me next.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,281,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post

I agree, why is it so important for them to impose their religious will on me? I'm afraid if they win this other things will start to go their way. Wouldn't it be strange to suddenly see normal, smart kids being homeschooled and Christian Evangelicals and Pentecostals in public schools because suddenly teachers are forced to teach creationism? What's next? Prayer in school? And I bet it would be Christian prayer too. They would never concede to prayer in school if that meant that in order to pray a Christian prayer their kid would also have to sit through Muslim, Jewish, Hindu, and Buddhist prayers. I wish Prop 8 wasn't up for a vote right now, believe me, I'd rather focus on other things that actually impact people but I have to support No on 8 because if I don't then there's no telling what freedom the Religious Wrong will take from me next.
I said prayer every morning at school, my parents chose to send me to parochial school, and I am thankful they did. One thing that impressed upon me was the golden rule. it seems to be a common theme in all the major faiths, perhaps not in the practice though. I consider my political views to be very conservative as well. But regardless of the God I believe in, or the politics I agree with, under no circumstances do I see it as right for one group to be granted more rights than another(perhaps convicted inmates would be the exception, to some degree, for me.)

I can see where one with strong faith could see gay marriage, along with the practical legalization of marijuana, the common use of other drugs, the prostitution prop, and many of the abhorrent behaviors THAT DO TAKE PLACE IN SF AND SEEM TO BE ACCEPTED THERE, as a sign of a morally corrupt society, we are, after all, a country founded on Christian principals. It is, however, not their place to judge. If I am doing my best to make sure I am a good, honest, successful, kind person, I shouldn't have time to judge others, and I shouldn't be concerned with what they are doing, provided they aren't threatening my person, family or property.

This election shows scared Americans in many ways. People on both sides of any issue, be it the Presidency or a local school board election are clinging to their side with a sophmoric passion. Actual understanding of politics and history seem to have been replaced with laziness and a quick jump on the bandwagon. Remember what Kennedy said, "Ask not....." that isn't even though of now, it is only "Ask what will you do FOR ME!!!" In many political discussions It seems I can always stump someone with the questions "How?" or "What does that mean?"

Example:

Who are you voting for?

President Scrooge

Why?

He's going to stop the Druidians?

How?

<silence> or "He's just better than Lonestar!" or "Cause he has Lord Helmet as his VP and that's better than Barf, cause Barf is dumb."

names have been changed to protect the innocent!

EDIT: sorry, I'm watching Spaceballs right now!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM

259 posts, read 765,352 times
Propaganda machines rolling here. Let's ignore the actions taken by No on Prop 8 folks. Like the attacks on Yes on 8 signs all over Sacramento. Both sides suck and act childish in this battle. It's almost worse than not paying child support.

Old 10-26-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapparulez View Post
Propaganda machines rolling here. Let's ignore the actions taken by No on Prop 8 folks. Like the attacks on Yes on 8 signs all over Sacramento. Both sides suck and act childish in this battle. It's almost worse than not paying child support.
The whole point of this is to point out that while you Yes on 8 people claim martyrdom and innocence in predominantly left-leaning areas, there are plenty of Yes on 8 thugs in the predominantly conservative areas of the central valley. How is this propaganda? The Bakersfield Californian, you know, the paper that reported this, is very conservative. It is written in a conservative city and owned by a conservative family. The attack was caught on tape, how is that propaganda? Whatever dude, just keep martyring yourself about this issue. Who knows, maybe you'll get some sympathy but it won't be from me.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:28 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
thanks for sharing. that is just so typical of the Yes on 8 crowd. they would be marching for adolf hitler if he was alive today.
Thats a sad statement and it's even sadder that not one person stood agians't it, it says a lot.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
Thats a sad statement and it's even sadder that not one person stood agians't it, it says a lot.
Is it sad though? Really? I'm taking a Historical Methods class right now that focuses on the Holocaust and Holocaust deniers. And really, some of the Yes on 8 people (not all, but some) sound as if they would be the type to follow Hitler happily. Do you honestly see that much of a difference? Hitler discriminated against (and many Germans did not know about the concentration and death camps, to be honest, most of them thought they were labor camps) Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, and many other groups and the Germans supported it and those who didn't support it implicitly just let it happen. Voting Yes on 8 is discriminating against someone because of how they were born. The similarities are striking to me although it would be ridiculous to imply that homosexuals will be put into concentration camps or death camps. I'm sure the people who opposed integration and interracial marriage would never compare themselves to Hitler's followers but, like I said before, the similarities are striking. Maybe you don't want to see that but some of us do.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:36 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,936,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
thanks for sharing. that is just so typical of the Yes on 8 crowd. they would be marching for adolf hitler if he was alive today.

Oh brother.

Care to exaggerate even more? Makes you look very intelligent.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Is it sad though? Really? I'm taking a Historical Methods class right now that focuses on the Holocaust and Holocaust deniers. And really, some of the Yes on 8 people (not all, but some) sound as if they would be the type to follow Hitler happily. Do you honestly see that much of a difference? Hitler discriminated against (and many Germans did not know about the concentration and death camps, to be honest, most of them thought they were labor camps) Jews, homosexuals, gypsies, and many other groups and the Germans supported it and those who didn't support it implicitly just let it happen. Voting Yes on 8 is discriminating against someone because of how they were born. The similarities are striking to me although it would be ridiculous to imply that homosexuals will be put into concentration camps or death camps. I'm sure the people who opposed integration and interracial marriage would never compare themselves to Hitler's followers but, like I said before, the similarities are striking. Maybe you don't want to see that but some of us do.
I think thats very sad that yes on 8 can compares to Hitler, that is so out of proportion, nobody wants to gather the gay's and gas them, it makes me wonder about peoples sanity. Any body who compares people agians't gay marriage to the Nazi's needs to seek some profession help.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:57 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,355,773 times
He was just fighting the gay agenda!!! Derrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California