Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 11:21 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibber mcghee in mali View Post
"Polo" "recalled" horse races, as though they were live, every half hour from tracks all over; .
In the 60's horse racing radio programs were quite popular in SoCal. Often sposored by touts that advertised that for a fee, would provide their clients with future winners. Besides Polo Hawkez (spelling?) recall Mike Adams and Jay Richards. Believe that this was the same Richards that went on to a successful career as a turf writer for the Las Vegas Review Journal. Also, Charlie Clifton at KRKD did race recreations for the SoCal tracks. Finally, the legendary Jim Healy once did race recreations from KBIG, the old Catalina Island station, AM740.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 06:10 PM

59 posts, read 350,658 times
Default Uncle Whoa Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmLabRat View Post
When I was about 3 (about 1949), my mom took me to see my favorite radio show, "Uncle Whoa Bill". I remember there were 3 sets of bleachers each with about 4 rows. The parents sat in back of the bleachers in the darkened theater. Uncle Whoa Bill sat on a stool in the spotlight in front of the bleachers. I enjoyed the visit quite a lot.
My parents took me to the show also , same age (1942) and I got to sing on the show. There is a photo of the Uncle Whoa Bill show being aired on Stephen Lodge's Web site= in his photos.

Last edited by onlyonejudy; 02-28-2011 at 06:26 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 11:30 PM

9 posts, read 23,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyonejudy View Post
My parents took me to the show also , same age (1942) and I got to sing on the show. There is a photo of the Uncle Whoa Bill show being aired on Stephen Lodge's Web site= in his photos.

Uncle Whoa Bill?! I don't remember it, but my mother told me it was my favorite show in the '40s. I've never seen it mentioned before. Far Out.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 PM

8 posts, read 12,627 times
Quote:
And another: Pete Ellis Dodge, Long Beach Freeway, Firestone Exit, Southgate!
Pete Ellis Ford, 91 Freeway, Lakewood Exit, Bellflower.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
In the 60's horse racing radio programs were quite popular in SoCal. Often sposored by touts that advertised that for a fee, would provide their clients with future winners. Besides Polo Hawkez (spelling?) recall Mike Adams and Jay Richards. Believe that this was the same Richards that went on to a successful career as a turf writer for the Las Vegas Review Journal. Also, Charlie Clifton at KRKD did race recreations for the SoCal tracks. Finally, the legendary Jim Healy once did race recreations from KBIG, the old Catalina Island station, AM740.
Being huge race fans then as well as now, we listened to the re-creation of the races every night while eating or right after. Pat and I would place make believe bets and keep track of how we would have done that day. Back then there were only 8 races a day and the feature was always the 7th race.

Nita

Old 03-05-2011, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,087 times
Thumbs up Clancy Mudoon's

Clancy Muldoon DID have multiple stores: Wilshire Blvd., two on Sunset Blvd., and one being built in Marina Del Rey when Clancy suffered a stroke in 1980. The chain was then sold. Clancy was my dad and his General Manager was my brother, Terry. Incidentally, Clancy purchased the recipe from Swenson's and then elaborated on it. He was a real renaissance man and very inventive if you remember some of his ice cream creations. We really miss him.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:27 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Any of you old SoCal peeps watch Grimsley's Fright Night back in the day???

Old 03-06-2011, 01:44 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Never heard of it. The only ones I remember are Chiller Theater on channel 11 and that lady with the long black hair. Whatzername. Elvira. But even she was right around the time I grew out of that stuff.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 AM

9 posts, read 23,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMuldoon View Post
Clancy Muldoon DID have multiple stores: Wilshire Blvd., two on Sunset Blvd., and one being built in Marina Del Rey when Clancy suffered a stroke in 1980. The chain was then sold. Clancy was my dad and his General Manager was my brother, Terry. Incidentally, Clancy purchased the recipe from Swenson's and then elaborated on it. He was a real renaissance man and very inventive if you remember some of his ice cream creations. We really miss him.

There was one down by the Chinese theater, wasn't there? It was my old lady's favorite ice cream place in the '60.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Never heard of it. The only ones I remember are Chiller Theater on channel 11 and that lady with the long black hair. Whatzername. Elvira. But even she was right around the time I grew out of that stuff.
I remember chiller with the skull either sinking or emerging from the pool of some sort of liquid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California